• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Feeling Very Weak in the Gym

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I've been working out for about 2 weeks. My diet is spot on and I am getting plenty of rest, around 8 hours of sleep a night. My issue is I feel very weak in the gym. I can't lift that much weight, and although I work very hard, I just can't put up as much weight as some of the others around me. Is this one of those things that just comes in time? I'm sure being overweight and out-of-shape doesn't help the equation. Should I have hope that as I put in the hard work in the gym and continue to be very strict on my diet the strength will come?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
dude i can assure you that the gains will come, i do not doubt for a second that EVERYONE can get alot out of weigth training, if ur very overweight and out of shape consider stripping some fat, u may feel more vitality.

however it would be useful if u put up your training regimen, u may be doing to much, as a beginner i would recommend a 3 day fullbody regimen, then when u get that base down u can consider different types of training(splits, upper lower, push pull) focus on getting stronger on key lifts such as the benchpress, squat and deadlift, dont waste ur time doing cable pushdowns, atleast not now.

i can assure you that if u keep training hard, eating right and sleeping plenty u will improve no matter your genetics. dont give up yet mate:2:

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Here's what I'm currently doing.

Day 1: Chest/Tri
Day 2: Back/Bi
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders/Abs
Day 5: Off (30 Minute Cardio)
Day 6: Repeat Cycle

As embarrassed as I am to say it, I got this routine off of Jay Cutler's website. I needed something and this is what I went with. If this is totally wrong or ineffective, please guide me in the right direction.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
so how many sets are you doing currently cuz thats the important part, also if i were you i wouldnt train 4 days straight, if u are gonna do a 4 split, then train monday/tuesday, then take wednesday off then train thursday/friday and take the whole weekend off repeat.

what i would recommend however in the beginning for someone like yourself that is just starting out would be something like this:

day one(monday)

squats
benchpress
pullups
military press
barbell curls

day two(wednesday)

bent over rows
dumbell incline press
side laterals
close grip bench press or seated tricep extensions
hammer curls

day 3(friday)

deadlifts
lunges
dips
chin ups
calf raises
ab work

i would recommend 3 sets for the first main core exercise, like the squat, deadlift, the rest do two sets, focus on good form on every rep, dont go to failure atleast not now, since it takes longer to recuperate from it. try to increase the amount of reps u get or the weight u use every week. rep range should be in the high area now in the beginning so that ur joints and ligaments get used to it, stick to 8-12 reps, i like to go higher for legs, but thats a personal thing. when u get stronger and more experienced u can lower the reps and lift heavier.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Maybe I'm just uneducated, but that sure seems like a lot of time spent NOT lifting. I assume the other 4 days I would be doing some form of cardio, which is fine. Again, I don't know that much, but at first glance, that seems like a lot of rest. Is it simply so my body gets used to the strain?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe I'm just uneducated, but that sure seems like a lot of time spent NOT lifting. I assume the other 4 days I would be doing some form of cardio, which is fine. Again, I don't know that much, but at first glance, that seems like a lot of rest. Is it simply so my body gets used to the strain?

dude i can personally guarantee you that this is enough to make u progress, give it a try, what do u have to loose? u have already said that what u are doing now isnt working like u want it too. and yeah go ahead, do alittle cardio if u want to on the other days.

that being said rest is maybe the most critical aspect of weight training, u grow when ur out of the gym sleeping and recovering.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I wasn't questioning your knowledge at all. I will most definitely give it a try. I really appreciate your advice and if anybody else has something to add, please feel free.

Thanks again.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wasn't questioning your knowledge at all. I will most definitely give it a try. I really appreciate your advice and if anybody else has something to add, please feel free.

Thanks again.

no problem dude and i wasnt trying to come off as arrogant, i know how it is in the start, its easy to fall for the "do more" philosophy, i did it myself and it burned me out. when i started doing less i actually experienced the best gains:)

so yes give it a try and if u dont like it and u dont progress on it(something i am positively sure u will) then do something else. im not saying u should be doing this forever, hell i myself like split training, but in the beginning to build a good base, this is worth a shot.:tiphat:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You might be doing too much. More isnt always better and you could overtrain especially when on a diet(dunno if you are on a diet).

As bulkboy suggested a 3 day fullbody protocol should work great. That along with 2 days of HIIT cardio should be more than enough. Make sure your diet is right, because that can make or break your training.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bulkboy makes some good suggestions. Trust me with those compound exercises you'll be glad of the rest days.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Couple more things:

(1) How many sets per exercise should I be doing?

(2) How do I know when it's time to change the routine? Is it when progress stops, or will I just know?

Thanks again.

Mach

Mach

Well, sounds like you are new to working out. Please don't expect to lift like others around you. Keep at it and in time you'll be lifting heavy, try not to look around and see what others are doing to much, focus on why your there. Get er done and get out.

Also, you should change your routine every 4-6 weeks. Oh yea, don't forget one of the most important thing is that it matters most what you do out of the gym not inside. You should do a minimum of 3 sets per exercise IMO.

Think of it as 90% what you do outside of the gym and the lifting part is the easy part of BB 10%.

Keep at it.

Thanks.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Great advice! Thanks to everyone!
I am new to lifting. I was an athlete in high school, but getting back to that point is so much harder than I expected. The advice and encouragement has helped me immensely. Thank you again, I truly appreciate it.