• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

genetically gifted

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How can you see someone is genetically gifted for strength sports?

thicknasty

thicknasty

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
"Genetically gifted" is kind of a subjective term, it's really all relative to who you compare one to. I would say that how naturaly strong a person is before ever weight training and how well they progress after starting weight training would be 2 important variables that would indicate how much potential one might have for strength sports. But again it's kind of subjective to say for sure that "this person is genetically gifted and that person isn't," as everyone probably has a different standard of judging one's genetic potential.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^Though good coaches can see someones talent before the athlete even know they have it so there must be some factors which play a role in that. Not only how someone is build but how they perform the sport as well (technical aspect). So there must be some kind of standard for that

TheGift

TheGift

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Usually you can tell when someone has no formal training and shows exceptional talent. When anyone has seen this, it is really a special moment because we all know how difficult sports are and when we see someone just own their sport without even trying...just amazing! I had a friend in HS who ran a 10.36 100m and had no form and could also long jump 24.4 and was 5-5! I thought I was gifted until a guy named Nate Robinson (plays for the Knicks and won nba slam dunk contest) broke my record for highest vertical leap and never even trained for it. I guess my point is that you cannot train natural talent, but you can help that person to achieve the unbelievable with the right work ethic and knowledge.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Usually you can tell when someone has no formal training and shows exceptional talent. When anyone has seen this, it is really a special moment because we all know how difficult sports are and when we see someone just own their sport without even trying...just amazing! I had a friend in HS who ran a 10.36 100m and had no form and could also long jump 24.4 and was 5-5! I thought I was gifted until a guy named Nate Robinson (plays for the Knicks and won nba slam dunk contest) broke my record for highest vertical leap and never even trained for it. I guess my point is that you cannot train natural talent, but you can help that person to achieve the unbelievable with the right work ethic and knowledge.

Very nicely said.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Great post I totally agree, there are lots of other factors that play a role. training facilitys, enviroment, dedication etc etc

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Phil posting in a thread name "genetically gifted".... LOL :D

Kinda interesting, right? :D

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How about you? Do you consider yourself as genetically gifted?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
talking about genetically gifted :D

Phil in action :coolguy:

Last edited by a moderator:
samsam

samsam

If you're still around, Phil.
Did you hit the gym during your Basketball career or was that foundation at the latter left pic all from bouncing that ball around?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
TheGift

TheGift

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you're still around, Phil.
Did you hit the gym during your Basketball career or was that foundation at the latter left pic all from bouncing that ball around?

We trained, but nothing like bbing. some flat bench 2 sets, hang cleans 2sets, back/front squats sets and lunges. More agility work than weights for sure, no curls for the girls, back and delts. The pic of bball was what I started with, I wish I could pull up a pic, but I'm saving em' for my book.

TheGift

TheGift

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How about you? Do you consider yourself as genetically gifted?

Absolutely, I just beat Guitar Hero Aerosmith on Expert and am ranked within top 300. I can also beat Through the Fire and Flames too!

I can't say that I don't have any genetics, but I do feel that bbing is my calling. I truly believe that we all have 1 or 2 things, whether they be something scholastic or athletic that we are very special in, it is just up to us to figure that out. Funny thing is that I never even talked about bbing until i was doing my first show, so I was very fortunate to fall in love with such a sport.

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
your coming out with a book???

COACH

COACH

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Absolutely, I just beat Guitar Hero Aerosmith on Expert and am ranked within top 300. I can also beat Through the Fire and Flames too!

I can't say that I don't have any genetics, but I do feel that bbing is my calling. I truly believe that we all have 1 or 2 things, whether they be something scholastic or athletic that we are very special in, it is just up to us to figure that out. Funny thing is that I never even talked about bbing until i was doing my first show, so I was very fortunate to fall in love with such a sport.
That good to read this ..congrats phil .. you Have Passion for this sport bro!!! ..:xyxthumbs:

TheGift

TheGift

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
your coming out with a book???

Yes, I have wanted to write a book for quite some time, as being a bball guy most of my life, transitioning to bbing is rare and would like to share my experiences. I hope to have more success inside and out of this sport, so it will be more well-rounded. Tons of pics because I know that is what everyone wants to see, but I really wanna illustrate how this sport has help make me a much better person.

D

drexel1234

wow cant wait for that should defin be very interesting to hear bout ur tranisition and adjustments. should draw even more attention after u win ur first olympia in about 6 weeks.:methman:

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Genetics in bodybuilding are easy to spot out. Structurally, a wide set of clavs with a narrow waist doesn't hurt. Muscularity wise, long and full muscle bellies that attach extremely low on their tendons really look pleasing. Symmetrical muscles. Fast metabolism, but also able to gain weight when necessary. Looks like we all know who this is....cough Phillip Heath lol.Did I mention that it is rare for African American dudes to grow calves.Well, Phils genes are so freaky that he has grown cows. I think Phil could eat 2 cheat meals a day and still be 240 lol..maybe a little too far but you get the picture.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, I have wanted to write a book for quite some time, as being a bball guy most of my life, transitioning to bbing is rare and would like to share my experiences. I hope to have more success inside and out of this sport, so it will be more well-rounded. Tons of pics because I know that is what everyone wants to see, but I really wanna illustrate how this sport has help make me a much better person.

Great! I am looking forward to it. It should help others relate to our sport that don't understand it or see themselves giving it a shot. Who knows this book could be the inspiration to several bb's that would not have given it any serious thought. Good luck with it bro :2:

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

thats awesome dude, please make an announcement when its coming out, also mecca members should get a discount :tiphat: lol j/k

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
awesome said phil, cant wait until your book is out :) i'm very sure i will buy it.. i usualy dont read books but thats like a must have :)

holla from one of your german fans :)