• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Getting back into training....

MetalMX

MetalMX

Getting back into training... ive been lifting since janurary 2007 till about 3 months ago when i had a layoff due to illness.

Just need some advice on a training program for hypertrophy.

I did a 3 day a week program before... shoulders/tri's, chest/bi's, legs/back with about 8-12 sets per bodypart with 8-12 reps per set.

Its time for a change, that previous program burnt me out pretty fast due to the high volume on each training day.

I want to particularly increase delt size and forearms.

I will still be doing a 3 day split or 3 day fullbody workout then slowing moving into a 4 day split.

The only thing i get confused with is the best amount of sets per bodypart if its only being trained once per week.

Im 6"2 at 217lbs at present.

recommendations for sample programs for me would be great.

:xyxthumbs:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
give max ot a try, im doing it atm, and i like it:2:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Imo start of with a FB routine 3x a week for 8 weeks after that change it to a 4x a week ub/lb routine.

FB routine - Rippetoe's or 5x5

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you plan on moving to 4 days a week then use the 3 day a week as fullbody to get some basic foundations back again. Structure it so that you have 2-3 key lifts and some accessories to cover the rest of the body. Have one day with the first exercise upper body pressing (shoulder press if thats what you want), one day a squat or deadlift first, one day a rowing or chinup first.

Forearms respond well to thick bar, wrist rollers and grip work. Farmers walks are great as a finisher, especially after deadlift day.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The fullbody is great advice! do fb for the first 6 weeks then u can switch to a pull/push/leg split! good luck!!

MetalMX

MetalMX

Thanks guys...

I really like the routine from the split training all wrong thread (i edited it a little)...

Overhead Dumbbell or Barbell Press: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Leg Press: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Barbell or Dumbbell Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
Chins or Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Dips or Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
Barbell or Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 8 reps
Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps
Side laterals: 3 sets 10 reps
You should do a couple lighter warm up sets prior to your work sets. All work sets should be worked very hard. In other words, the very last rep should be the last one you are capable of doing. Increase the weight used in small increments as often as possible.

23 sets is that a bit too much?

will 75 second rest do?

One thing i cannot squat or do full deadlifts at the moment due to my bones/joints being very susceptible to injury due to having a low bone mineral density i was thinking just leg presses and deadlifts off the rack.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks guys...

I really like the routine from the split training all wrong thread (i edited it a little)...

Overhead Dumbbell or Barbell Press: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps major exercise 1
Leg Press: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps major exercise 2
Barbell or Dumbbell Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps major exercise 3
Chins or Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps major exercise 4
Dips or Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps major exercise 5
So you think that you can honestly achieve anything on all 5 at the same loading levels? Why three pressing moves and only one rowing/back?
Barbell or Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 8 reps
Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps
Side laterals: 3 sets 10 reps
You should do a couple lighter warm up sets prior to your work sets. All work sets should be worked very hard. In other words, the very last rep should be the last one you are capable of doing. Increase the weight used in small increments as often as possible.

23 sets is that a bit too much?

will 75 second rest do?
23 sets would be hard work, especially if you aren't including warmups. Once you are warmed up you don't need the extra sets in subsequent exercises. By my estimation this workout would be at least an hour long without time to move between exercises. 75 secs will feel very short between sets after you have done a leg exercise and then try and press.
One thing i cannot squat or do full deadlifts at the moment due to my bones/joints being very susceptible to injury due to having a low bone mineral density i was thinking just leg presses and deadlifts off the rack
Not trying to be offensive, but who told you this bullshit? :dunnodude:
If your bones or joints are too fragile to squat then you sure as hell shouldn't be leg pressing or doing rack deadlifts. The relative loading and subsequent forces involved in these far exceeds those in the squats and full deads.

If you want other options try split squats, lunges, step ups, SLDL, DB SLDL.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Like Bulkboy said, give Max ot a try or HIT training.

These training methods probably will shock your body the most if your used to training high volume. The best amount of sets for the trainee would be 1. There's no point doing more than that if it only takes 1 set to get the job done. However, there are exceptions to the rule. If you havent been training that long then I would recommend doing about 2 sets per exercises ecluding the warm up sets. The reason being is that beginners dont have the mind-muscle connection that enables them to just do one set to failure and beyond. So how long have you been training? If it's more than 2 years I would give HIT 1 set a shot.

If you want to have a 3 day split, heres one that I would recommend especially if you want to prioritise your Delts.

Monday- Delts, Triceps and Biceps
Wednesday- Chest and Back
Friday- Legs

I would recommend this program for the "break" in program then like you said you can advance onto a 4 day split, somthing like this;

Monday-Delts, Traps and Triceps
Tuesday- Legs
Wednesday- Off
Thursday- Chest and Biceps
Friday- Legs

This routine allows more concentration on each muscle groups and your recovery will be greatly enhanced because your working less taxing muscle groups each workout. I would also do basic exercises geared toward building the most muscle mass, i.e. compound movements like squats, bench press, military press and so on.

Hope this helps you out :tiphat:

MetalMX

MetalMX

Thanks Lance. Very helpful... Ive been training more than 2 years... 2004-2005 on and off then consistently from start of 2007 till about 3 months ago.

tim i meant my bone mineral density is low normal done on a DEXA scan.... but still normal. This will improve when my endo starts me on TRT + HCG and arimidex due to my hypogonadism, so i will start gaining muscle like freaken wildfire!!! :D :D :D. Im already on T4/T3 replacement due to hashimotos thyroiditis (hypothyroidism) I've had a lot and i mean A LOT!!! of frustration with all this considering i'm 19 and should be packing on size easy with doing everything right but i guess some people just have endocrine disorders and mine run in the family. Gains have been very very slow but not anymore... :hsughr:

Hows this look?:

Overhead Dumbbell press: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps - supersets with Side laterals 3 sets
Smith Machine Squats: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Incline Bench Press: 2 sets of 8 reps
Chins: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Dips or Close Grip Bench Press: 2 sets of 8 reps
Barbell or Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 8 reps
Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 sets of 12 to 20 reps

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Is that whole body routine to be done 3 days a week ?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Lance. Very helpful... Ive been training more than 2 years... 2004-2005 on and off then consistently from start of 2007 till about 3 months ago.

tim i meant my bone mineral density is low normal done on a DEXA scan.... but still normal. This will improve when my endo starts me on TRT + HCG and arimidex due to my hypogonadism, so i will start gaining muscle like freaken wildfire!!! :D :D :D. Im already on T4/T3 replacement due to hashimotos thyroiditis (hypothyroidism) I've had a lot and i mean A LOT!!! of frustration with all this considering i'm 19 and should be packing on size easy with doing everything right but i guess some people just have endocrine disorders and mine run in the family. Gains have been very very slow but not anymore... :hsughr:

Hows this look?:

Overhead Dumbbell press: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps - supersets with Side laterals 3 sets
Smith Machine Squats: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps Replace with split squat (think of a lunge where you don't move your feet on each rep)
Incline Bench Press: 2 sets of 8 reps
Chins: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Dips or Close Grip Bench Press: 2 sets of 8 reps
Barbell or Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 8 reps
Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 sets of 12 to 20 reps
I was more referring to the BS of leg pressing because it was somehow lower loading than squatting. Bone mineral density and hormonal problems would be a bitch to deal with, so good luck!! :xyxthumbs:

You need a hammy exercise like SLDL and to either do more sets of chins or add a row. Also if you are only going to have a small routine that is repeated all week then: you will need to change the exercise order throughout the week; you will need to change this routine in about 3-4 weeks.