• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Golovkin-Alvarez rematch in September

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The recent statement of Oscar Dela Hoya about the long-awaited rematch of Gennady Golovkin and Saul Canelo Alvarez is pointing to a September date in the ring. After testing positive of a prohibited energy-boosting drug, the scheduled fight last May 5 was not just postponed but cancelled. But now, it is 75% sure to happen, said Dela Hoya, even if the negotiations with the Golovkin camp is yet to start. Dela Hoya is managing the career of Alvarez.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The negotiations for the rematch of Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez bogged down. Oscar Dela Hoya, the promoter of the fight was not happy with Golovkin's insistence of a 50-50 sharing in the purse. Dela Hoya stands by his take that Canelo Alvarez is the biggest draw and not Golovkin so the champion has no right to demand half of the purse. Daniel Jacobs is being eyed by the Alvarez team for his next fight. That leaves Golovkin with no worthy challenger in sight.

Hova

Hova

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally, I think all these demands that Golovkin's team is making are just a bunch of excuses. According to what Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, Golovkin doesn’t want to fight Canelo.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
On the contrary, Dela Hoya perfectly knows what really happened in the first fight that was declared a draw. The replay will show that Canelo was clearly beaten by GGG. And a rematch without prohibited drugs will put Canelo in danger. GGG is undefeated. Canelo was soundly beaten by Mayweather.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

The Golovkin and Alvarez match is plagued with controversies and problems since they ended up with a split draw on their first match which I would say that Golovkin won it. Alvarez who's now still suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for drug use. With Alvarez out of the equation, Golovkin the IBF, WBA, WBC is looking to unification match with the British WBO champ, Billy Joe Saunders before the year ends. The question is when would the rematch of Golovkin and Alvarez really take place? Golovkin's latest fight last May 6 was a one sided fight that ended in the second round beating Martirosyan.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oscar Dela Hoya recently announced the projected rematch of his fighter Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will materialize before the end of the year. Both camps have agreed in principle and the sharing of the purse is not an issue anymore. It will be the biggest payday for Golovkin and probably will make him more popular if he knocks out Alvarez. My take on the fight is a stoppage in the second half of tge fight. Take note that Alvarez will be free of prohibited drugs so he will be weaker.

Hova

Hova

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Golovkin and Alvarez match is plagued with controversies and problems since they ended up with a split draw on their first match which I would say that Golovkin won it. Alvarez who's now still suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for drug use. With Alvarez out of the equation, Golovkin the IBF, WBA, WBC is looking to unification match with the British WBO champ, Billy Joe Saunders before the year ends. The question is when would the rematch of Golovkin and Alvarez really take place? Golovkin's latest fight last May 6 was a one sided fight that ended in the second round beating Martirosyan.

I totally hated the decision the judges made in last year's September bout beween Golovkin and Alvarez. I was really looking forward for a potential rematch earlier this year, but Alvarez screwed the pooch. I still can't believe he had the audacity to blame meat for his screw up.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If the fight pushes through, Golovkin swore that a knockout is needed for his win to be convincing. Maybe he is intimidated by the questionable scoring of the judges in their first fight. A knockout will indeed settle the issue once and for all. My view on that first fight is a prelude to a rematch that's why it was declared a draw. Unfortunately, the much awaited rematch did not materialize due to the positive result of the drug test on Canelo Alvarez. But for sure, this rematch will break attendance records and pay-per-view subscriptions.

M

Maestro

I'm really looking forward to this rematch. I know a lot of people were disappointed with the decissions that the judges made during the last fight. I'm hoping this fight will make up for everything.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I totally hated the decision the judges made in last year's September bout beween Golovkin and Alvarez. I was really looking forward for a potential rematch earlier this year, but Alvarez screwed the pooch. I still can't believe he had the audacity to blame meat for his screw up.

I think that the promoters would be having a great time promoting the rematch since it's becoming a sensationalized fight and that means more sponsors, more ticket sales and a bigger purse for both fighters. Fight fans would definitely watch this one, to find out who really is the best.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I also hated the decision of draw for the first match of GGG and Canelo Alvarez but maybe that was meant for financial reasons. If Golovkin had won the fight convincingly on the decision then there will not be much attention for a rematch. But with a draw, it will sound exciting especially to those who didn't see the first fight. But for me, I'd say that Golovkin has yet to lose a fight and he is a tough nut to crack despite his age. And after this fight with Alvarez, it might be the end of the road of GGG since no worthy opponent is in sight anymore.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just 2 weeks from now we will see how Canelo Alvarez will deal with GGG when he is totally clean of performance enhancing drugs. I am not saying he was tainted before but there are suspicions especially when he was tested positive twice. Anyway, Alvarez vows to give GGG a run for his money as a retaliation to the smear coming from the camp of GGG. This is one fight that we should not miss.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Abel Sanchez, the trainer of Gennady Golovkin admitted that GGG wouldn’t go on the rematch without an increased purse after Canelo Alvarez was tested positive for a prohibited drug that was claimed to be from tainted meat that the boxer had eaten. With the upcoming rematch this month of September, the fight will push through because GGG got the increased pursed he asked for.

Just 2 days to go and the hype is getting hotter with rhetorical retorts coming from both sides.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The fight went as expected with the relentless heavy punching from both sides. But in the end, Alvarez had a cut on his right eyebrow and Golovkin had a bruised face. The decision was a majority for Alvarez that did not sit well with Golovkin who left the arena without an interview. I disagreed with the decision for of their first fight because I don't think that it was a draw. Golovkin had clearly won that one. But in this rematch, I saw it clearly for a Canelo Alvarez win who was more on the offensive and had more punches.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

I think Golovkin has a lot more to offer. In their first fight, he didn't have his best performance and did not throw as many powerful shots. On the other hand, that was probably the best that Canelo could do. He hit Golovkin with some effective power shots and countered him well, but he was still able to come forward. It was uprising that Golovkin hardly utilized body shots in the first fight. Maybe he was afraid or respected Canelo too much. If he fights his usual style and goes more to the body in the early rounds, he might be able to defeat Canelo slowly.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It looked like Canelo was the stronger fighter in the rematch and Golovkin failed to release more shots and it was a clear domination of Canelo when it comes to punches, be it landed or attempts. The way I saw the fight, Golovkin's only chance, even in the early rounds, was to knockout or even knock down Canelo otherwise he will be losing on points.