• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

Grippers

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
3,384
Points
38
Ok, so I'm thinking of putting in an order for the captain crushers no.1 gripper because I want to bring my grip up (somewhat dramatically) because I think its a neccesity to have a very strong grip in the gym if you wish to push higher and higher poundages. And since I was using straps for first 3 years of training of so, I'm kinda behind with my grip.

So, who's got them and are they good? Detail on how long it took to develop onto the next gripper etc.

Thanks in advance.
 
Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
5,885
Points
38
I would suggest not wasting the money. There is plenty of specific grip training you can do in the gym with what they provide for you.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
I've got the Trainer, #1 and #2. I enjoy using them, but the Ivanko spring gripper that can be adjusted would be what I would buy. Progressive overload with the CoC is harder as there are some huge jumps between grippers. Trainer to #1 is 20kg then it is something like 40kg to the #2 and another 40kg to #3.

As Clint points out there are plenty of grip training methods that don't require grippers. Also grippers will only train crushing strength, not supporting or pinching strength (although there is some carryover). Supporting is the grip strength you use the most in the gym, which is better trained with timed holds, thick bars, etc.
 
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
3,384
Points
38
Thanks guys

Yes I heard there's quite a big jump between the numbers although they do have .5 now so there's less jump.

I've been doing barbell holds with one arm timed to strengthen my grip for deads etc. I want the crushers basically because I know there's carry over like you said and because I'm genuinely interested in developing a crushing grip. I've hand a look at that other gripper Tim but for some reason I don't like the look of it, looks long and awkward.

I tried pinch holds with plates the other fay too and my god they are hard!
 
Cork

Cork

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
470
Points
18
Get some fat gripz. I use them all the time now and I feel like my grip is a lot better. I used to need straps for 300lb deadlifts now I can do it with just a little chalk.
 
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
1,788
Points
63
^^ if you don't have any thick bars available one little but insightful advice tim gave me once was to wrap your gim towel around the bar to thicken it when doing some exercises (ie. DB rows).
 

Similar threads

MuscleMecca Crew
Replies
0
Views
4K
MuscleMecca Crew
MuscleMecca Crew
Storm
Replies
14
Views
8K
Storm
Storm
Top