• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

How I Developed My Teres Major for a Wider Back

Developing my teres major made a huge difference in how wide my upper back looked, and it all came down to one thing: focusing on it directly. Pull-ups and lat pulldowns don't even come close to it. I started focusing on close-path cable rows and straight-arm pulldowns with tight elbow control. This way, I kept tension on the shoulder joint instead of having my biceps take over. It made a difference to do two to three focused sets every pull day.

What the Teres Major Actually Does for Back Width​

The teres major runs along the outside of your upper back from the lower angle of the scapula to the upper arm. It's smaller than the lats, but because it's close to the back of the elbow, adding thickness there can make your upper back look wider. Its main jobs are to bring the shoulder blades closer together, extend the shoulder, and rotate the shoulder inward. This means that it works closely with the lats during most pulling actions. It's not the same as the teres minor, which helps with external rotation and works with the rotator cuff. Teres major hypertrophy is important for back width because it fills in the upper outer area just above where the lats spread. It's not meant to replace lat development, but it does add to it in a meaningful way.

Training Teres Major for a Wider Back

Why Most Back Workouts Never Touch It​

When you work out your back, you mostly do lat pulldowns, pull-ups, and rows, so the teres major muscle isn't the main focus. The latissimus dorsi is in charge of these moves, and since it works with the biceps, it's safe to say that everything is covered. It's not.
Standard back width exercises don't really work on shoulder adduction in a way that makes the teres major work. When most people pull, they either spread their arms wide or let their momentum take over. This puts most of the work on their lats and biceps.
You need teres major movements that control the path of your upper arm toward your torso if you want to grow teres major tissue. Most methods skip right over that level of detail.

The Exercises That Finally Built My Teres Major​

To fill in that training gap, I had to find exercises that actually worked the teres major, instead of assuming my lats were doing all the work. The straight-arm pulldown became my starting point because it keeps the elbow pretty straight, which means the work is put on the shoulders instead of the biceps. On the way back up, I would use controlled resistance and never just let the cable pull my arm up. When I did cable rows with my elbow behind my waist, it also helped my back get bigger in that upper-outer area. What changed the most wasn't the exercise I did, but how carefully I controlled each rep. A good teres major workout is less about doing crazy moves and more about doing the exercises correctly with weights that you can handle.

How to Add Teres Major Training to Your Weekly Routine​

Teres Major Wider Back

You don't have to plan a separate practice just for teres major work when you add it to your back workouts. I just added it to the pull days I already had planned. I stopped trying to get true teres major isolation because it's not possible. Instead, I put my heavier compound pulls next to the best workouts for the teres major: straight-arm pulldowns and close-path cable rows.
They aren't my main focus; I do two or three focused sets of them after my main lat work. Controlling the internal rotation of my shoulders during the eccentric helped me feel the engagement in my upper back that I hadn't been getting before.
More important than volume was consistency. It was easier to see results when I did these movements twice a week as part of steady resistance training than when I did too many sets in one session.

Teres Major Training Mistakes (And How to Fix Them)​

When they train, most of their big mistakes are caused by letting their arms take over. When you do pulldowns or rows and bend your elbows too early, your biceps take on the weight before your shoulder goes back into its right position. To fix that, start each rep from the shoulder instead of the hand.
Too much energy is another mistake. When you swing your body, the area behind your axillary folds loses tension. This is where your teres major muscle is located and needs stimulation to grow.
People also try to get wider grips because they think that will make their backs wider. It doesn't. Controlling the path your upper arm takes, not where your hands are put, is what works your teres major to give you a wider back. Pay attention to movement quality first.
 
Paulr_91

Paulr_91

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Messages
92
Points
6
I’ve honestly never paid much attention to the teres major specifically. I usually just think about getting my lats and upper back working, so it’s interesting how much that little area can contribute to the overall width of the back.
 
M

MasonCole

Member
Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2026
Messages
15
Points
3
Wow, that was really helpful, thanks!
 
Top