• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

How much to Rest between weightlifting Sets

Zillagraybeard

Zillagraybeard

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
543
Points
18
Changing the length of your rest periods between sets has a negligible influence on muscle development. However, it is something to think about because it might impair your performance in the gym.

There is solid evidence that if extending rest time between sets allows for increased training volume (reps*sets*weight), longer rest times are preferable than short rest periods for muscle growth.

This makes sense because there is a definite dose-response link between how much you strain your muscles and muscular development (up to a point).

A decent general advice is to rest for 2-3 minutes after strong compound lifts and 1-2 minutes after light solation exercises. This will improve training performance during working sets while still offering a difficult exercise.

THE EVIDENCE:
1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25047853
2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077743
3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807
4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20847704
5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19204579
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 30, 2018
Messages
506
Points
18
Thanks for the great info, since fatique accumulates over the course of a training session - you could rest less between the earlier sets and longer between later sets.
 
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 17, 2016
Messages
3,248
Points
48
I think a longer rest period is a good idea because you give more opportunity for the muscles to temporarily recover and therefore you can do more reps in the process. But you should be observant of the signals that your body is giving because the more workout you do means the more abuse to the body. If you feel you cannot go for more exercise then it is best to stop.
 
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Messages
630
Points
18
At least, I try as much as possible to watch my energy levels whenever I'm working out because it's what determines how long I can push the drills.

The more energized I feel, the shorter rest I take in the set but when I'm not too filled with energy, I do at least a minimum of 3-5 minutes rest.
 

Similar threads

Top