• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Layne Norton has a torn pec

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
"Last week I suffered a minor tear of my pec. At first the doc believed it was a strain and it never bruised so I figured it was, but after seeing it disfigured I know that is not the case. The doc believes it is torn at the musculotendinous junction. Typically surgery is not done for something like this because for a minor tear like mine most people don't want to go through the rehab due to a surgery because most people regain full functionality with just rehab. However, I've got plenty of time and don't plan on competing until 2010 probably. I'm a professional bodybuilder and my image gets out on the net and in magazines quite often so If surgery can make it look any better at all I'm inclined to do it. I have read about a new procedure where they use a kevlar material to suture the muscle to the tendon. Apparently with good success. What I am wondering is if you all know of any good surgeons who do this type of surgery on the muscle/tendon insertion. I realize this is a shot in the dark but I figured I'd ask. IF you don't know any, if you have any referrals to people who may know, I would much appreciate it.

thanks,
-Layne"

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
1zoyx6g-1.jpg

2znx02a-1.jpg

1671q39-1.jpg

"as you can see the right pec is deformed, especially with hands elevated over head. The deformation increases significantly when trying to do any sort of press even with very very light weight (push ups off knees).

There was no other exercise when I felt pain. I was benching and on my first rep I felt it rip, I racked it without completion of the rep and immediately put ice on it. Then iced it throughout the week. AFter the swelling went down I noticed the deformity though there was never any bruising. I have consulted an sports ortho and he agrees with my assesment though I do have and MRI scheduled tommorow. I fully expect it to show a partial tear and thus I am trying to expedite the process by exploring my surgerical options in advance so I don't spend weeks post-MRI trying to find a doc while the disconnected fibers severely atrophy. I have researched the med journels and found that while surgery can be performed years after the incident the best chance for success is if the muscle is operated on as soon after the injury as possible, thus my urge to act swiftly.

Thank you for everyone's opinion's and insights.

-Layne"

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
meh its not even a bad tear..

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
We all know laynes a strong guy.... he'll be back better than before!!!

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's not that bad. It's noticeable, but not bad at all.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Ok, just checking :)

I think that would through of anyones physique, but thats me

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
does he have a small chest..just wonderin..

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
P

Pain

VIP
Sad to hear when anyone gets hurt doing what they love. I'm sure with Layne's determination and love for the sport, he'll bounce right back from this.

Kevin Levrone was still very competitive even with a torn pec.

[size=-4]2nd place at the 2002 Mr.Olympia[/size]
17wdbo-1.jpg

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Layne, welcome to the torn pec club.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a question, when you tear a muscle, it never get`s back at looking how it did ?
Not even with years of healing, exercise, etc ?

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a question, when you tear a muscle, it never get`s back at looking how it did ?
Not even with years of healing, exercise, etc ?
No it doesn't. When you tear a muscle it changes it's form and the scar tissue will always be there so it won't grow back to it's original form.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He has a massive chest! One of his very best body parts in my opinion. I hope he can make the best choice for a recovery without too much atrophy of that pec. He is an inspiration to many.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I talked to him about this at the Arnold Classic, at the time he didn't feel like it was anything serious. Then after MRI's he found out a chunch of his pec was missing.

brendan

brendan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it's not that bad . and besides i bet you will feel better in no time . and i hope you feel better:coolguy:

brendan

brendan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
btw. how does a muscle get teared?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
strain. over training. Not warming up sufficiently.