• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Legs do what now?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ever wanted to know what muscles get hit by what leg exercises?

Ever wanted to tell people that squat stance doesn't affect the muscles recruited and never had the ammo?

Well now you have what you need.

The thing about measuring muscle involvement in an MRI is that you don't necessarily get to see all the other muscles that are recruited during a major lift. What you see is the cross section you measure.

I know House does it differently, but I'm sure that his budget is higher than that of BBing researchers. So when you see these charts bear in mind that they aren't taking into account the hip muscles and any of the trunk and upper body involved, just the muscles of the leg.
Uploadfromtaptalk1432984903386
Uploadfromtaptalk1432984920146

Attachments

• leg muscle use.JPG
    leg muscle use.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 150
  • leg muscle use2.JPG
    leg muscle use2.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 126
Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i love training legs !!! thanks for the great info bro :tiphat:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
biceps feforis seems a little tough to recruit and I guess it makes sense. Good info bro

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I was a little surprised by the hamstrings in general. The level of activity is rather low in them for all the exercises. I wonder what a GHR would look like.

It is a pity they didn't measure some of the other exercises around.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I was just thinking about the glute ham raise. I think it would be similar to the SLDL but cant help but think the stimulation would be a bit higher.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice post :tiphat:....i know what the last 3 sets of letters stand for but can someone clarify the others

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Good point, didn't think to do that.
AD B - Adductor brevis
AD L - Adductor longus
AD M - Adductor magnus
BF - Bicep femoris
GR - Gracilis
RF - Rectus femoris
SR - Sartorius
ST - Semitendinosus
VM - Vastus medialis
VL - Vastus lateralis
VI - Vastus intermedius

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
biceps feforis seems a little tough to recruit and I guess it makes sense. Good info bro

I've been thinking about why the hamstrings and the bicep femoris didn't have big registers, even in hamstring exercises. I'm thinking that in the case of the hip flexion exercises that the knees were bent too much and as a result the glutes were dominant. In the leg curls I'm thinking that a similar thing occurred with the position allowing glute involvement.

Considering most people also have relatively weak and innactive hammys this may also have been an issue with the tests.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats a good point. Just brushing up on my anatomy and seeing as how the biceps femoris has a proximal attachment at the lateral ishial tuberosity and a distal attachment at the posterior lateral condyle of tibia, head of fibula, it makes a little more sense. The semiten and semimem both attach on the medial side and so it is a shorter muscle therefore it would be more easily recruited from the sense that it would be more easily pre-stretched in a bent leg situation...:dunnodude:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yes exactly. So in order to get the hammys bearing the most brunt would require a reasonably straight leg to get the most "stretch" possible. Otherwise the muscle is never fully loaded and doesn't act over a full ROM.

At least that might be why those exercises didn't seem to recruit the muscles very well.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
So from what you're saying... SLDL/Goodmornings/Glute ham raises are the best type of exercise for the hammy's seeing as they stretch the hams?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well the SLDL in the analysis above did recruit the brevis and magnus adductor muscles, the bicep femoris and semitendinosus. Whereas the supine leg curl only really recruited semitend and bicep fem (plus sartorius and gracilius). Compared to a seated leg curl where the bicep fem wasn't recruited and there was greater activity in the gracilius, sartorius and semitendinosus.

So the SLDL is hitting more muscles, which obviouslyare needed to perform hip flexion. Bicep femoris seems to need the stretch as well, because it was only when seated that it wasn't working.