• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Lifting heavy weights can make you slow

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This was one topic that was discussed on a radio program sometime last week. That an athlete becomes slower in his movement when he is lifting heavy weights. The example is a boxer who is quick. But he becomes slower when he started lifting weights to get muscles in his preparation to enter the wrestling world. Do you think it is really true but barbells can make you slower?

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The more muscle we have, the slower we might be because we are heavier too. If speed is the goal, heavyweight lifting is not the best workout.

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This was one topic that was discussed on a radio program sometime last week. That an athlete becomes slower in his movement when he is lifting heavy weights. The example is a boxer who is quick. But he becomes slower when he started lifting weights to get muscles in his preparation to enter the wrestling world. Do you think it is really true but barbells can make you slower?
Not necessarily true!
Many people train for strength and are lean! Quick, fast! If your becoming Big and bulky thats a different story. Size can definitely hinder speed!

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have to disagree with the discussion on the radio about gaining muscle making one to be slow. Remember gaining muscle is purely different from getting fat. Muscles don't make you slow but too much of it can slow you down a bit, that one I can agree to. I have seen some people with good muscle but are still very fast, it's more of training yourself to be fast with sprint exercises.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When it comes to lifting weights there is a lengthening and a shortening process to a muscle, and as long as the athlete completes all the reps using a full range of motion, the muscle is suppose to remain the proper length. So I see that technique is extremely important when lifting, and lifting heavy weights will not make a athlete slow and bulky, like a lot of people think.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's all subjective obviously, and depends on the kind of muscles we develop, but usually the more weight, the slower one is.

I have to disagree with the discussion on the radio about gaining muscle making one to be slow. Remember gaining muscle is purely different from getting fat. Muscles don't make you slow but too much of it can slow you down a bit, that one I can agree to. I have seen some people with good muscle but are still very fast, it's more of training yourself to be fast with sprint exercises.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's all subjective obviously, and depends on the kind of muscles we develop, but usually the more weight, the slower one is.

I think that a clear differentiation should be made on gaining weight and gaining muscles. They might seem similar but they are practically different. Gaining weight will definitely make one slow but gaining muscles won't from how I have seen it till today.