• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Macros incorrect

R

roldy

I've been trying to figure out the correct caloric intake and grams of each macro I need for muscle growth. I work out 6 times a week for about 1 hour. I'm doing a Push, Pull, Leg split. I get anywhere from 15 to 20 sets while keeping resting time anywhere from 1 min to 1.5 min unless I'm doing a really heavy lift, leg press, or deadlift. I have some weight training goals I would like to achieve and I know I need to gain some muscle to get there. I've looked at many online calculators to give me some values to work with for macros and calories and most come close to each other. One particular calculator put me at:
Protein: 283g
Carbs: 377g
Fats: 126g
Calories: 3774

I'm new to macro tracking and I would like some expert opinions. Do these macros reflect what my body would need?

Stats:
Weight: anywhere from 245lbs to 250lbs
Height: 6' 6"
no PED's

Reactions: ArnoldS
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@Push50 will help you. He is a genius with this stuff.

Reactions: Push50 and ArnoldS
Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Use the muscle mecca body building app. I think your daily intake measurement is also correct but now you need to find foods that will meet that kind of measurement for you to consume.

R

roldy

Use the muscle mecca body building app. I think your daily intake measurement is also correct but now you need to find foods that will meet that kind of measurement for you to consume.
Thank you. I'll have to check that out.

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been trying to figure out the correct caloric intake and grams of each macro I need for muscle growth. I work out 6 times a week for about 1 hour. I'm doing a Push, Pull, Leg split. I get anywhere from 15 to 20 sets while keeping resting time anywhere from 1 min to 1.5 min unless I'm doing a really heavy lift, leg press, or deadlift. I have some weight training goals I would like to achieve and I know I need to gain some muscle to get there. I've looked at many online calculators to give me some values to work with for macros and calories and most come close to each other. One particular calculator put me at:
Protein: 283g
Carbs: 377g
Fats: 126g
Calories: 3774

I'm new to macro tracking and I would like some expert opinions. Do these macros reflect what my body would need?

Stats:
Weight: anywhere from 245lbs to 250lbs
Height: 6' 6"
no PED's

Currently your macros are sitting at
P=30%
C=40%
F=30 %

At 38, 6’6” and 245 you have a BMR( Basal Metabolic Rate) of 2165 calories. Based on the intensity of your workouts, 6 days a week you will not gain weight at 3700 calories a day. This is what your body requires daily in order to maintain your current weight.

In order to gain weight, 1 lb/wk, you need to exceed that amount by at least 500 calories.

I would also review macros and consider lowering the fats, and increasing the carbs and proteins. Additionally I would watch the following:
Sugars keep < 115 gms/day
Saturated Fatsday
The top end for proteins at 1.5gm/lb is around 360/day. Use this as your base and figure you cabs about 10% higher and then use the fats to fill the hole. You can keep fats high and you will gain weight but if you go to cut you will find that a lot of body fat is a bitch to cut.

Just my 2cents.
Reach out if you have any additional questions.

Set a goal
Make a plan
Stick to the plan
Reach the goal

I am using the MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Mobile App!

Reactions: TalkAdmin
R

roldy

Currently your macros are sitting at
P=30%
C=40%
F=30 %

At 38, 6’6” and 245 you have a BMR( Basal Metabolic Rate) of 2165 calories. Based on the intensity of your workouts, 6 days a week you will not gain weight at 3700 calories a day. This is what your body requires daily in order to maintain your current weight.

In order to gain weight, 1 lb/wk, you need to exceed that amount by at least 500 calories.

I would also review macros and consider lowering the fats, and increasing the carbs and proteins. Additionally I would watch the following:
Sugars keep < 115 gms/day
Saturated Fatsday
The top end for proteins at 1.5gm/lb is around 360/day. Use this as your base and figure you cabs about 10% higher and then use the fats to fill the hole. You can keep fats high and you will gain weight but if you go to cut you will find that a lot of body fat is a bitch to cut.

Just my 2cents.
Reach out if you have any additional questions.

Set a goal
Make a plan
Stick to the plan
Reach the goal

Thank you for the info. I have an Iphone so unfortunately I can't use the app so i greatly appreciate your insight. 4200 calories daily, wow I was off. To get that amount of carbs in, what do you find would be the easiest food?

Reactions: ArnoldS, Push50 and TalkAdmin
TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Push is our musclemecca genius.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KaiGold and ArnoldS
Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thank you for the info. I have an Iphone so unfortunately I can't use the app so i greatly appreciate your insight. 4200 calories daily, wow I was off. To get that amount of carbs in, what do you find would be the easiest food?

Start with potatoes, rice, cream of rice, oats, and Ezekiel Bread if you want bread and quinoa.

I primarily use potatoes, rice, cream of rice and oats. Sometimes I’ll use rice cereals for post workout with a protein shake.

Reactions: BigHulk, KaiGold, roldy and 2 others

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

roldy

Something that I should have asked in my initial posting was in regards to the cutting phase. How should I adjust my macros to cut while keeping muscle and hence my strength? I would assume protein intake would be even more important so as not to lose muscle.

Reactions: BigHulk, Push50 and KaiGold
Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Something that I should have asked in my initial posting was in regards to the cutting phase. How should I adjust my macros to cut while keeping muscle and hence my strength? I would assume protein intake would be even more important so as not to lose muscle.

Again, everyone is different. I do extreme cuts at times and can drop weight really quick. Yes you will have to modify your macros again. And throughout the cut as you drop weight. When I cut, I usually run high protein moderate fats and keep the carbs as low as possible. Most of my carbs during a cut are from vegetables. These are used to keep me feeling full even if I am down to 1800 calories.

Set a goal
Make a plan
Stick to the plan
Reach the goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigHulk
R

roldy

Again, everyone is different. I do extreme cuts at times and can drop weight really quick. Yes you will have to modify your macros again. And throughout the cut as you drop weight. When I cut, I usually run high protein moderate fats and keep the carbs as low as possible. Most of my carbs during a cut are from vegetables. These are used to keep me feeling full even if I am down to 1800 calories.

Set a goal
Make a plan
Stick to the plan
Reach the goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. With my weight training journey I have been focusing on just trying to obtain some goals I have set for myself; 500 deadlift (at 455 now), 400 squat (at 315 now but probably can do 350), bench was at 300 but surprised myself recently and did 325, maybe a 200 shoulder press (at 125 now). Since I first posted in September, I have gone from 250 to 270. How does one go about determining when a bulk should stop with regard to weight lifting goals? With all the work I put into the gym and tracking macros, having a better looking body after a cut is a plus but I also don't want to lose the momentum I have with strength training.

Reactions: BigHulk