• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Make my lats poke out. HOW?

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

boneyard!!

update of a recent back picture!!

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
just letting yall know i just got down with my back workout and it was awesome. i have never felt a pump like that in my back before. thanks for all the advice guys.

Bhana

Bhana

Try wide grip behind the neck pull ups, feels really different in the lat area

akita

akita

Pull from your elbows,not from biceps,imagine that arms are only 'hooks',pull from elbows,squeeze for a sec,and controlled on negative!

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some pointers:

Most of what we call lat width has a lot to do with the teres major (muscle near arm pit).

Movements where your arms are in front of you (e.g: close grip pulldowns, pulley rows) will recruit your lats further than a orginal pulldown, that works primarily the teres major and near second, the lats.

So, essentially what you call the "lower lats" are the actual lats, and the "upper" is the teres major.

That said, depending on what's lagging create your lat workouts. Agreed also remember to use mind-muscle connection with any pulling movement similar in nature.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
g

Some pointers:

Most of what we call lat width has a lot to do with the teres major (muscle near arm pit).

Movements where your arms are in front of you (e.g: close grip pulldowns, pulley rows) will recruit your lats further than a orginal pulldown, that works primarily the teres major and near second, the lats.

So, essentially what you call the "lower lats" are the actual lats, and the "upper" is the teres major.

That said, depending on what's lagging create your lat workouts. Agreed also remember to use mind-muscle connection with any pulling movement similar in nature.

BOOM DIGGITY!

Goku69

Goku69

This would be my typical back day.

Wide Grip pullups, Close Grip pulldowns, seated rows, bent-over barbell rows and One arm dumbell rows and deadlifts

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This would be my typical back day.

Wide Grip pullups, Close Grip pulldowns, seated rows, bent-over barbell rows and One arm dumbell rows and deadlifts

mine is wide grip pulldowns, seated rows, t-bars, one arm dumbell rows, and deads.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some pointers:

thanks km. thats the reason you got VIP. i would have never known that. that really helps too.

C

chrille-a

just use your back not arms

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Guess who's troll account it is.:hyperguy:

On the lats thing; I agree that mind muscle is important but that comes as part of many things, non of which are really described here.

1) Full contraction from full ROM
2) controlled motion (slow it down if you need to actually feel it, but don't go slow once you've got it)
3) contract the lats when not under load
4) pullups and chinups are not about width to work the lats

For (1) you should actually be pulling the clavicle to the bar. You will straight away notice the difference as you are actually fulling contracting the lats not just the arms. You should also not be kipping to reach the bar, do less reps and more sets if need be. By the way I've seen SFA people actually do a pullup or chinup like this.

For (2) you should not be struggling to reach the bar with the chin. It should be a smooth motion from full extension to clavicle touching bar.

For (3) practice actually contracting the lats. I find that doing this while seated is the easiest to do. You should be able to isolate which side and how hard they are contracted. If you can't do this you will not effectively be able to target the lats ever (unless they are already dominant). Try a lat stretch to get the idea of what to contract.

For (4) width of grip makes SFA difference to recruiting the lats. The only EMG study that showed any difference measured a difference in lat pulldowns vs chinups, not really a comparison of any meaning.

/Thread Closed
:xyxthumbs:

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
dont close the thread. what was wrong with what he said?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Ben was saying that discussion was over because of my post.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^oh ok i didnt understand why he was wanting to close the thread. thanks bro