• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

More evidence for benefits of eccentric lengthening

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ABSTRACT: The time-courses of satellite cell (SC) activation and protein
expression of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF), HGF activator (HGFA),
HGFA inhibitor-1 (HAI-1), and HGFA inhibitor-2 (HAI-2) in human skeletal
muscle, as well as serum HGF following a single bout of muscle lengthening
contractions, were determined. Eight recreationally active participants were
recruited for the study. Subjects performed 300 lengthening contractions
involving the quadriceps femoris muscles of a single leg at a fixed velocity of
180°/s. Percutaneous muscle biopsies were taken before (PRE) and at 4 h
(T4), 24 h (T24), 72 h (T72), and 120 h (T120) following the exercise. The protocol resulted in an increase in the number of SCs [neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM)-labeled cells] expressed relative to total myonuclei, at T24, compared with both PRE and T4 (P  0.05), and peaked at T72 (80% increase vs. PRE, P  0.05). HGF protein increased significantly in serum from baseline (PRE) to T4 (P  0.05). Active HGF protein was detected in skeletal muscle at rest [14.4  1.3 average integrated density value (IDV)/actin average IDV] and tended to increase at early time-points (P  0.12). HGFA protein increased significantly from PRE to T24 (P  0.05). HAI-1 protein increased significantly from PRE to T24 (P  0.05). HAI-2 (32 kDa) increased significantly from baseline (PRE) by T24 (P  0.05), and also by T72 and T120 (P  0.05). We conclude that a single bout of lengthening muscle contractions is sufficient to activate SCs, which may involve both a local and systemic HGF response to contraction-induced injury.
Muscle Nerve 38: 1434–1442, 2008

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Can you keep this away from the pilates crowds. Don't want them thinking they are onto something.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Can you keep this away from the pilates crowds. Don't want them thinking they are onto something.

Haven't seen too many in the pilates do a negative bench press using a 1rm for a set of 6-8. :dunnodude:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Like pilates people will read that far. They will see repeated eccentric lengthening, that it.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whats your personal view on eccentric lengthning in relation to hypertrophy/strength? Imo negative training could be used but with care. Too much can burn people out quickly. So some periodization is needed.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whats your personal view on eccentric lengthning in relation to hypertrophy/strength? Imo negative training could be used but with care. Too much can burn people out quickly. So some periodization is needed.

x2

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a question.

Can I do normal reps, do the concentric part quickly and then the eccentric part slowly ? Will that benefit me ?

Or this is only for exercises with eccentric training.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Well... there is an acute risk for injury, without question. But as far as hypertrophy/strength, eccentrics are where it's at, without question. You should be very flexible if you do these (being flexible is great for weight lifting anyways).

I have a question.

Can I do normal reps, do the concentric part quickly and then the eccentric part slowly ? Will that benefit me ?

Or this is only for exercises with eccentric training.

Yes, it will benefit as you described for sure. Some forced negatives at the end though would be a good idea as well.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why do you need to be flexible? I assume if you can reach full ROM your flexible enough?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why do you need to be flexible? I assume if you can reach full ROM your flexible enough?

Nah, you want to be more flexible. I think I posted results on this before, but two reasons why bodybuilders should be flexible:

1) Prevents injury in weight lifting (mostly).

2) More efficient energy transfer at the musculo-tendon joint. There was a study done in power lifters by a guy Wilson and others who found that elite powerlifters who did a flexibility program had greater gains in strength.

My computer crashed like 2 years ago, but before that, I had paper written on this. I think I still have a hard copy, i could try and scan it and upload if requested.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^Would like to see that IS :xyxthumbs:

formaldeide

formaldeide

Sixteen experienced male powerlifters served as subjects in a training study designed to examine the effect of flexibility training on: (i) the stiffness of the series elastic components (SEC) of the upper body musculature and (ii) rebound and purely concentric bench press performance. Nine of the subjects participated in two sessions of flexibility training twice per week for 8 wk. Prior to and after the training period the subjects' static flexibility, SEC stiffness, rebound bench press (RBP), and purely concentric bench press (PCBP) performance were recorded. The flexibility training induced a significant reduction in the maximal stiffness of the SEC. Furthermore, the experimental subjects produced significantly more work during the initial concentric portion of the RBP lift, enabling a significantly greater load to be lifted in the post-training testing occasion. The benefits to performance achieved by the experimental group consequent to flexibility training were greater during the RBP lift as compared with the PCBP lift. The control subjects exhibited no change in any variable over the training period. These results implied that the RBP performance enhancement observed consequent to flexibility training was directly caused by a reduction in SEC stiffness, increasing the utilization of elastic strain energy during the RBP lift.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992 Jan;24(1):116-23

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I always love your post Ironslave. thanks again

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks formaldeide, that was the study i mentioned.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Like pilates people will read that far. They will see repeated eccentric lengthening, that it.

Can you imagine that:

Reporter: "What do you do to get so big?"

Mr Olympia: "Strenious pilates 4 times per week. That is all"