• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

MuscleMecca: Do You Stretch Before & After Your Wokouts

Do You Stretch Before & After Your Wokouts


  • Total voters
    28
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
Atm I dont stretch. When I had a back injury I used to stretch before (dynamic/mobility) and after a workout (static) felt good but takes a lot of time.
 
German_Joe

German_Joe

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
1,032
Points
38
I do static stretch's afterwards and warmup adequatly before doing working sets
 
sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
4,013
Points
38
Research have shown that static stretching before lifting can actually have a negative effect on the lifts - so I keep away from that. I do, however, do mobilitydrills before lifting.

Some more info:

Stretching before exercises is a ritual which athletes have been following for many years now. Surprisingly enough, it turns out that stretching is not as beneficial as we think. Several recent studies showed that pre-exercise stretching takes away 15-30 minutes of muscle strength and explosive muscle activity in such exercises as jumps.

Half-amplitude exercises which work on large muscle groups make a better warm-up, since the movements in those exercises are similar to those of your sport type. For example, bodybuilders should do complex exercises with light weights for warm-up, such as squats and bench-press. Tennis players can do low-intensity exercises with the tennis racquet before hitting the court. Runners, swimmers, cyclists, and skiers should start moving at low intensity before working at full power.

Stretching is important for building strength, increasing amplitude of movements, and improving athletic performance; but make sure to do stretching after the muscles have been warmed-up- after the workout! Many experts argue that stretching prevents injuries and speeds up recovery, yet there is no evidence to support those arguments.

One of the studies on this topic was published in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research
 
TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
1,235
Points
38
As others have said dynamic mobility/stretching is best in regards to pre-training. Never do static stretches before training...

Static stretches should be done at night after a warm shower. The CNS still causes muscular tension after training and won't lead to the full benefit of stretching. But, when taking a shower at night the CNS is relaxed and you will have the same warming affect from the shower as you would training. As always, stretches should never be painful and you should hold each stretch for one or two sets of 30 seconds.
 
miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
5,778
Points
38
stretch specific muscle group i train during warmup sets, and stretch the specific muscles out after training
 

Similar threads

kgearus
Replies
0
Views
161
kgearus
kgearus
kgearus
Replies
0
Views
208
kgearus
kgearus
Legit
Replies
6
Views
524
underbody
underbody
FBB888
Replies
222
Views
33K
FBB888
FBB888
Top