• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

My 5x5 setup, and questions!

G

GilZero

Member
Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
16
Points
3
Hi there, I'll try to keep this short.

Im training for looks and bball strenght, (Squats, Deadlifts, big exersices)

I want to get bigger and I've got untill mars to bulk up before i cut. I know I will get stronger from 5x5 but will this setup give me size too? I know its diet dependant but y'know what i mean ;)


this is my setup:

W1:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Lower back raise 10x3
4 set weighted situps

W2:
Squat 5x5
Incline bench 5x5
Military press / barbell row 5x5
Leg curl 8x3
3 sets weighted situps
bicep

W3:
Squat 5x5 +3 +8
Bench 5x5 +3+8
Deadlift 5x5
Tricep
Middle/rear delt shoulders.


EDIT:

Made a new workout, this seems better but its very different! not 5x5 really.

Day1: Squat 5x5, Legcurl 8x3, Quad machine 8x3, abs
Day2: Bench 10x3, Barbell row 5x5, tricep, shoulders, bicep
Day3: rest
Day4: Squat 5x5, Legcurl 8x3, Quad 8x3, abs
Day5: Incline Bench 10x3, Deadlift 5x5, tricep, shoulders,bicep
Day6: rest,
Day7: Repeat


Which one is better? or both suck? :D
CHEERS:bullwhip:
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
Second Option looks pretty good. You can certainly gain size with strength from this. If you are a bball player, I would add an extra day of rest (rest on day 7), which you can spend a ton of time working on your game.

I'd do the second split, but I'd try something like this:

- Switch Day 1 and day 2, and also Day 4 and Day 5.
- Have Day 7 be a day when you work on your jumping a lot. This isn't a day you want to spend tiring yourself overly, so keep yourself fresh and work on your maximum jumping height, and footwork speed as well.

Again, if you're a competitive ball player, work on your game more than everything.
 
G

GilZero

Member
Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
16
Points
3
Thanks for the tips man! The thing about bbal at the moment is that i've been injured since christmas :S It's a weird injury in both of my feet and i dont know when it will be better, i do lots of rehab with the best guy in my city though.
So therefore I cant shoot, only work on my form while standing still, and i can barerly work on my handles since I always get carried away and starts jumping around, lol. But day7 as basketball would work, thanks :)
 
G

GilZero

Member
Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
16
Points
3
Sweet, I'll read when I've got time :thumbsup2:

But if i go with the split setup:

Day 1: Bench 10x3, Barbell row 5x5, triceps, shoulders, bicep
Day 2: Squat 5x5, Legcurl 8x3, Quad machine 8x3, abs
Day 3:
Day 4: Incline Bench 10x3, Deadlift 5x5, triceps, shoulders, bicep

Day 5: Squat 5x5, Legcurl 8x3, Quad machine 8x3, abs
Day 6:
Day 7: repeat


When I do work shoulders, biceps, triceps, how much volume/how many exersices should i do? I made a sample but it seems like alot of volume, and it will take time when I've got all that + more in one workout ;o any suggestions?

Bicep:
Chinups – 3x fail.
Barbell curls – 12x3
preacher concentration curls, 10x3.

Triceps:
Dips 3x fail. (8-12 reps)
Rope pushdowns 10-12 x3
Skullcrushers 10x3

Shoulders:
Overhead dumbbell press/ military press, 10x3
Side lateral raise 10x3 / arm.
Bent over reverse flies 12x3.
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
You're making a common mistake dude of taking a good program and trying to make it 'perfect'.

Pick 1 exercise for triceps/biceps and shoulders as they will get plenty of stimulation with your other lifts. 3 sets or so and you will definitely get enough.
 
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
I wold recommand doing it by the book. Keep it stupid simple! Its effective as it is why change it.
 
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
3,475
Points
38
You're making a common mistake dude of taking a good program and trying to make it 'perfect'.

That's so true it's not even funny. Happens to me all the time.
 

Similar threads

SteelPhysique
Replies
3
Views
156
jasonm_87
jasonm_87
TitanProgress
Replies
6
Views
194
dannytrains
dannytrains
CoachCelestine
Replies
3
Views
249
Paulr_91
Paulr_91
Bodybuilding_Video
Replies
0
Views
209
Bodybuilding_Video
Bodybuilding_Video
Top