• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Obama declares swine flu "national emergency"

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
By PHILIP ELLIOTT

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama declared the swine flu outbreak a national emergency, giving his health chief the power to let hospitals move emergency rooms offsite to speed treatment and protect noninfected patients.

The declaration, signed Friday night and announced Saturday, comes with the disease more prevalent than ever in the country and production delays undercutting the government's initial, optimistic estimates that as many as 120 million doses of the vaccine could be available by mid-October.

Health authorities say more than 1,000 people in the United States, including almost 100 children, have died from the strain of flu known as H1N1, and 46 states have widespread flu activity. So far only 11 million doses have gone out to health departments, doctor's offices and other providers, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials.

Administration officials said the declaration was a pre-emptive move designed to make decisions easier when they need to be made. Officials said the move was not in response to any single development.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius now has authority to bypass federal rules when opening alternative care sites, such as offsite hospital centers at schools or community centers if hospitals seek permission.

Some hospitals have opened drive-thrus and drive-up tent clinics to screen and treat swine flu patients. The idea is to keep infectious people out of regular emergency rooms and away from other sick patients.

Hospitals could modify patient rules - for example, requiring them to give less information during a hectic time - to quicken access to treatment, with government approval, under the declaration.

It also addresses a financial question for hospitals - reimbursement for treating people at sites not typically approved. For instance, federal rules do not allow hospitals to put up treatment tents more than 250 yards away from the doors; if the tents are 300 yards or more away, typically federal dollars won't go to pay for treatment.

Administration officials said those rules might not make sense while fighting the swine flu, especially if the best piece of pavement is in the middle of a parking lot and some medical centers already are putting in place parts of their emergency plans.

The national emergency declaration was the second of two steps needed to give Sebelius extraordinary powers during a crisis.

On April 26, the administration declared swine flu a public health emergency, allowing the shipment of roughly 12 million doses of flu-fighting medications from a federal stockpile to states in case they eventually needed them. At the time, there were 20 confirmed cases in the U.S. of people recovering easily. There was no vaccine against swine flu, but the CDC had taken the initial step necessary for producing one.

``As a nation, we have prepared at all levels of government, and as individuals and communities, taking unprecedented steps to counter the emerging pandemic,'' Obama wrote in Saturday's declaration.

He said the pandemic keeps evolving, the rates of illness are rising rapidly in many areas and there's a potential ``to overburden health care resources.''

The government now hopes to have about 50 million doses of swine flu vaccine out by mid-November and 150 million in December. The flu virus has to be grown in chicken eggs, and the yield hasn't been as high as was initially hoped, officials have said.

``Many millions'' of Americans have had swine flu so far, according to an estimate that CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden gave Friday. The government doesn't test everyone to confirm swine flu so it doesn't have an exact count. He also said there have been more than 20,000 hospitalizations.

On the Net:

Last edited by a moderator:
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually, if it helps get the vaccine out and treat ill people more effectively, I don't see anything wrong with giving hospital more control over their own affairs.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
OMG a flu that people can catch is infecting people!!!!!!

I'll start worrying about swine flu when it starts killing more people than the standard flu (which I don't believe it has yet).

It is a good test of quarantine proceedures (shithouse), reaction to pandemics (shithouse) and containment (shithouse). Shows that when the real deal arrives we can pretty much have 1/3 of the population die quite easily, just like last century.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
iam already immune to this swine flu

because IAM GOD LIKE.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh God, it's made its way up here in Montreal. I CAN SEE IT FROM HERE!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually, if it helps get the vaccine out and treat ill people more effectively, I don't see anything wrong with giving hospital more control over their own affairs.

The problem is though that this would just be some half assed vaccine slapped together. I'm not anti-vaccine by any means, but when they rush to put something out there, chances are it's not going to be as well studied as other ones.

It's still a flu, like Tim mentioned. The CDC has mentioned that "regular" seasonal flu kills about 36,000, swine so far is at about 1,000. National emergency? That's extremely over dramatic.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The problem is though that this would just be some half assed vaccine slapped together. I'm not anti-vaccine by any means, but when they rush to put something out there, chances are it's not going to be as well studied as other ones.

It's still a flu, like Tim mentioned. The CDC has mentioned that "regular" seasonal flu kills about 36,000, swine so far is at about 1,000. National emergency? That's extremely over dramatic.

EXACTLY! :borat:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I should mention that the reason swine flu has gotten so much press is that it is a genuine pandemic. The fact that this particular pandemic isn't particularly deadly is besides the point.

From the health organisation standpoint it is very easy for a pandemic to mutate and become something nasty. So that is why they are using this event to test how good they will be when a real threat emerges.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Right, I'm coming from Tim's standpoint. I'm well aware of mortality rates from seasonal flu Vs swine flu. To calm fears in my classroom, for example, I once showed that statistically your are more likely to be shot, robbed, or raped in New York City than die of the swine flu. That being said, there's no reason why it couldn't take a turn for the nasty. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I am in complete agreement with you on this one. This is all hype. The swine flu is much less lethal than the normal flu.

I have heard some interesting theories on the reasons for this overreaction. The most interesting of which (similar to Tim's point) is the desire to test out the world's ability to contain an infection such as this. Stupid as this may be it certainly sounds plausible, as a great number of governments are all hyped up about this.

This vaccine is crazy, how could it have been properly developed and tested in less than 6 months?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
cereal

cereal

swineflu....good bullshit story, holy shit!

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This vaccine is crazy, how could it have been properly developed and tested in less than 6 months?

Why not? How do you know this? Are you a doctor? A virologist?

Seriously, I'm sick of this BS. I keep getting lame, ill-informed emails from people telling me not to get the vaccine. Promoting the idea that the vaccine is unsafe is misinformation at best, and blatant paranoid ignorance at the worst.

I read a journal discussing unfounded fears of vaccines not too long ago. In the meantime, read the link below, it outlines most of the basic mistaken assumptions people have about vaccines. (And yes, I know WIRED isn't the best source for unbiased journalism. I'll find the original, I promise.)

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Quick list of some trials/studies on the vaccine:

Oct. 9, 2009 NIH Prepares to Launch 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Trial in People with Asthma
Oct. 9, 2009 NIH Launches 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Trials in HIV-Infected Children, Youth and Pregnant Women
Oct. 9, 2009 Bulletin: Early Results: NIAID Trial Supports Co-Administration of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine and Seasonal Influenza Vaccine
Oct. 8, 2009 NIAID Trial Testing 2009 H1N1 Flu Vaccine Plus Adjuvant
Oct. 8, 2009 Q&A: Trial of a Candidate 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Plus Adjuvant
Sept. 21, 2009 Early Results: In Children, 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Works Like Seasonal Flu Vaccine
Sept. 21, 2009 NIAID Media Advisory: Update on NIAID Clinical Trials of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccines in Children
Sept. 11, 2009 Statement: Early Results from Clinical Trials of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccines in Healthy Adults
Sept. 9, 2009 NIAID Launches 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Trial in Pregnant Women
Sept. 9, 2009 Q&A: NIAID Trial of Candidate 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine in Pregnant Women at the Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units
Sept. 1, 2009 Studies in Animals Suggest 2009 H1N1 Virus May Have Biological Advantage Over Seasonal Influenza Viruses
Aug. 19, 2009 Q & A: Pediatric Trials of Candidate 2009 H1N1 Vaccine at NIAID Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units (VTEUs)
Aug. 18, 2009 Bulletin: NIAID to Begin Trials of Candidate H1N1 Vaccines in Children
Aug. 11, 2009 NIAID Media Availability: NIAID Scientists View Past Flu Pandemics for Clues to Future Course of 2009 H1N1 Virus
July 22, 2009 Q & A: Clinical Trials of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccines Conducted by the NIAID-Supported Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units
July 22, 2009 NIAID Set to Launch Clinical Trials to Test 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Candidates
June 29, 2009 Dynasty: Influenza Virus in 1918 and Today
May 13, 2009 NIAID Media Availability: Scientists Develop Mathematical Model to Predict the Immune Response to Influenza
Feb. 26, 2009 NIAID Media Availability: Flu Virus Foiled Again
Feb. 22, 2009 Scientists Identify Lab-Made Proteins That Neutralize Multiple Strains of Seasonal and Pandemic Flu Viruses
Aug. 18, 2008 Bacterial Pneumonia Caused Most Deaths in 1918 Influenza Pandemic

How can you call it "half-assed???????"

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Don't worry. People just don't understand that the half life of a virus is hours not years. They also don't understand what the vaccine is and how we already have culture strains that have been trialled that cut down accession line testing times.

People are largely ignorant of most things, doesn't seem to stop them having an opinion about it though.