• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Obama Open to 'Sin Tax' on Soda

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
^^ no, but its a start, u cant have a all or nothing mentality, start off slow, fix it one step at a time, and eventually u will get to your goal, of course this is an ideal, but its better then saying that it wont work so lets just leave our population fat.
So ideally the government should tell us what we can eat, how much we can eat, how much time we should exercise, when to sleep, when to shower, etc. etc.

I believe that place already exists..........it's called prison.

:io:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^No, im not talking about controlling what people eat and etc. But im talking about the current situation concerning obese people in america and trying to limit the sugary drinks they consume as a starting point to help get obesity rate down . I like what Patrick said. A sugar limit isn't a bad idea at all.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
^^No, im not talking about controlling what people eat and etc. But im talking about the current situation concerning obese people in america and trying to limit the sugary drinks they consume as a starting point to help get obesity rate down . I like what Patrick said. A sugar limit isn't a bad idea at all.
the cure for obesity is education and motivation, not prohibition.

ok, lets say they pass a law about limiting sugar in soda...........so now, instead of drinking one can of Coke, people will drink two cans of coke. :bitelip:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ well the education part and motivation have been established already and its only getting worse. And why would people drink to can of cokes instead of one if the sugar content drops? so they instantly want to drink a liter of coke instead of 500ml because the label says it doesnt have much sugar?

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
^^ well the education part and motivation have been established already and its only getting worse. And why would people drink to can of cokes instead of one if the sugar content drops? so they instantly want to drink a liter of coke instead of 500ml because the label says it doesnt have much sugar?
if someone was trying to lose weight, why would they be drinking soda in the first place....:bitelip:

It's kinda like when McDonalds got rid of the "Super-Size". Think about it.....if someone is getting french fries and soda at McDonalds in the first place, odds are they aren't too overly concerned about their health, so sizes are kinda irrelevant.

btw, there is no point to a "sugar limit"......isn't that kinda the reason we have diet soda?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
btw, there is no point to a "sugar limit"......isn't that kinda the reason we have diet soda?

Exactly.

A lot of restaurants are offering more "healthy choices" as well. The options are there if people want to "compromise" and have something somewhat healthier. For example, at McDonald's, I've been enjoying their "mac snack wraps" lately, I know it's not the healthiest thing, but it's better than the actual Big Mac. This is a smart business move for the company to offer because I spend my money there more often now because of these.

Ultimately, all you can do is cater to the market place, and allow people to make their own choices, but there's nothing wrong with trying to educate and promote good choices.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sure, but not all sugary drinks have a diet version. I know there is no way in stopping people to eat wehat they want whenever they want and cant help them to lose weight or anything, but it sucks that because of their lack of desire to be healthy is causing such a strain on the health care and such, and i know a lot places offer healthier options, but they are still most of the time more expensive and less in amount, so people would still usually go for the fattier cheaper version, cuz you get more bang for your buck

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sure, but not all sugary drinks have a diet version.

A lot do, hopefully people will buy ones that do.

I know there is no way in stopping people to eat wehat they want whenever they want and cant help them to lose weight or anything, but it sucks that because of their lack of desire to be healthy is causing such a strain on the health care and such,

It does, you're absolutely right. For example, I live in Canada, and due to our single payer system, it angers me to no end to see people in emergency rooms for sprained ankles, and a family of 6 all with a BMI over 35 eating McDonalds. It's BS...

The solution for that would be to open up the health care system, and let these people have to financially pay their own medical bills for the destruction they do to their bodies. If after I have a workout, and I feel like having a Big Mac meal once a month or so, I can still do that and not have to pay more than I should for it. If obese people had to pay for their illnesses the same way people pay for cosmetic surgery, I think we'd see less obese people.

and i know a lot places offer healthier options, but they are still most of the time more expensive and less in amount, so people would still usually go for the fattier cheaper version, cuz you get more bang for your buck

freedom.