• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Post workout+cardio nutrition

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok, I am currently clean bulking. I normally lift weights for an hour and then play an hour of basketball 10 minutes after my workout. I have been taking 40g whey + 100 g dextrose + 3 g cee after the workout and before basketball. is this ok? is there a way I can get better results (basketball an hour after cardio, etc.)?

any help is appreciated fellas:tiphat:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
IMO an hour of basketball seems a little long to be doing right after a workout. I dont know how intense of bball you are playing but if it is pretty intense I think that might be a little too much stress to put on your body in a 2 hour period of time. I would suggest decreasing the bball to a half hour or seperating the two activities by at least a few hours.

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
really the intensity varies. sometimes we will go balls to the wall other times we just mess around. as summer approaches I will have more free time to work with and can more readily separate the two. thanks bro:tiphat:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm sure its not going to be that bad to do them one right after the other but if your goals are to put on a lot of clean quality mass, I just think it would be more productive to seperate the two.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with creator, since your looking to add mass.

BiG RED

BiG RED

Just make sure you eat enough to cover the calories you are burning playing.

Basketball is anaerobic in nature. You are sprinting and recovering, sprinting and recovering, so it won't shrink your muscle fibers like steady pace aerobic cardiovascular activities will.

Try splitting the dextrose into two. Have 50g with whey right after training, then sip the other 50grams with some electrolytes during your basketball game.

Lastly creatine ethyl ester degrades to creatinine (the biproduct breakdown) quite rapidly in your stomach, almost 30% will degrade in the first 30 minutes, compared to about 1% from monohydrate.

If you want to read more, google the study:

Child R1 and Tallon MJ2. Creatine ethyl ester rapidly degrades to creatinine in stomach acid. 1Department of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Rd, Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom. 2University of Northumbria, Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Northumberland Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.

Br

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just make sure you eat enough to cover the calories you are burning playing.

Basketball is anaerobic in nature. You are sprinting and recovering, sprinting and recovering, so it won't shrink your muscle fibers like steady pace aerobic cardiovascular activities will.

Try splitting the dextrose into two. Have 50g with whey right after training, then sip the other 50grams with some electrolytes during your basketball game.

Lastly creatine ethyl ester degrades to creatinine (the biproduct breakdown) quite rapidly in your stomach, almost 30% will degrade in the first 30 minutes, compared to about 1% from monohydrate.

If you want to read more, google the study:

Child R1 and Tallon MJ2. Creatine ethyl ester rapidly degrades to creatinine in stomach acid. 1Department of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Rd, Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom. 2University of Northumbria, Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Northumberland Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.

Br

Good advise, i totally agree

<3Frosty

Perhaps nix the dextrose shake during the basketball, but cut the previous carb in half as suggested.

In place of the dextrose/electrolyte combo of your own during basketball, buy some Gatorade mix which uses potassium, electrolytes, sodium, AND dextrose. HFCS is in the pre-made gatorade btw.

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks for the responses everybody. that's a sound idea about splitting the dextrose up. And frosty I use gatorade mix for my dextrose.

<3Frosty

thanks for the responses everybody. that's a sound idea about splitting the dextrose up. And frosty I use gatorade mix for my dextrose.

Uhh, are you saying you take in 100 grams of dextrose from Gatorade? Do you have fruit punch whey protein or something, cuz that just sounds bad mixing it with anything other then that post-workout.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Uhh, are you saying you take in 100 grams of dextrose from Gatorade? Do you have fruit punch whey protein or something, cuz that just sounds bad mixing it with anything other then that post-workout.

Na it's 1.5 scoop cellmass + 1 scoop gatorade mix. Wait 5 minutes 40 g dextrose + 50 g vanilla whey.

<3Frosty

Na it's 1.5 scoop cellmass + 1 scoop gatorade mix. Wait 5 minutes 40 g dextrose + 50 g vanilla whey.

Dont like the taste of cell mass then i guess? Or you use gatorade just because it provides alot of stuff and has a nice flavor?

Also, what do you plan on doing to split up the dextrose?

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dont like the taste of cell mass then i guess? Or you use gatorade just because it provides alot of stuff and has a nice flavor?

Also, what do you plan on doing to split up the dextrose?

Cellmass is actually pretty good, it + gatorade is even better and yeah I like the mix b/c of what you mentioned.

I'm almost done with the cellmass so pretty soon it will just be 50 g dextrose, 50 g whey and then sip on a scoop on gatorade mix during the basketball game. hell in a couple of weeks I will be able to split the working out and basketball by a couple of hours b/c I won't have to worry about school.

<3Frosty

Id suggest more then just a single scoop of Gatorade, but that is up to you and how intense your basketball sessions are.