• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Q and A with Dave Palumbo

• Thread starter Daniel Andersson
  • Start date
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Some intresting stuff IMO

Written by Dave Palumbo
Thursday, 01 January 2009

Question: Hello Dave, thanks again for this great thread... I have a question for you and please be honest... now I'm not asking you to turn against what most bbs think, just please give an honest input what do you think the consequences could be for someone in his late teens (say 18-20 yrs old) using
1. Natural test boosters / anti-estrogen

DP: .... I think it's completely safe and side effect free.

2. Steroids

DP: .... Not smart for anyone under the age of 19.......... A 17-19 years old's natural hormones are so good that it's unnecessary to take exogenous hormones.

The reason I ask is because 99% of the people on most boards strictly say no to either, without presenting any kind of evidence for the side-effects they mention (such as stunting growth for instance)... it's just said that it will be harmful my question is also not related to someone who's just starting out, I ask about someone who's been training consistently for more then 2 years, has a balanced diet getting in 6 meals of pro/fats/carbs, and also knows the basics about training, nutrition, supplements, and steroids so please give me your opinion, would love to hear it... thanks

DP: ...At that age you risk shutting down your natural testosterone production when it should be at its highest. I think steroids are a poor choice at your age. Anti-estrogens might actually be smart for teenagers since it will reduce high estrogen levels that could lead to gynecomastia.

Do you recommend doing off-season cycles or just extending a cycle from 16 weeks out from a show and using something like Dbol/Anadrol the first 4 weeks? I heard Lee Priest say he doesn't bother with off season cycles. Mahalo

DP: ...You should structure your offseason to have enough time to put together a solid 16 week OFFSEASON cycle, then either take a break for a few weeks or go right into your contest prep cycle. A good offseason diet and cycle is the best way to make solid gains.

I am 5'8 205 lbs. I am about 14-16 percent bf. I feel like i am starting to look a little out of shape. My average meal is about 20 grams of fats, 40 grams of protein, and usually 50-60 grams of carbs. I know you will probably say cut back the carbs but how much?

Dave, in the offseason, how much cardio do you feel should be done to keep the heart in shape while trying to gain size?

DP: ...30min 3 xs per week, low intensity.

Dave, What do you think about canned sardines in oil? I think they taste so much better than tuna and have all protein and fat plus a decent amount of omega 3s?

DP: ...Sardines have more fat than tuna, so they would be a better substitute for your "fatty protein" meal. I prefer to get them in water and add extra virgin Olive oil or Macadamia Nut Oil - it's a better oil then what they pack it with. Personally, I think sardines taste like crap but they are a very good source of Omega-3 fats!

Quick question have you heard of Testonon 250 ZAFA? I know it is a SUS substitute from Pakistan but would like to know your experience or knowledge of the substance.

DP: ... It is SUSTANON...............good stuff!

Dave, I just talked to the Fertility Doctor about prescribing Femara to get pregnant. He stated the obvious of blocking estrogen and it's only given for five days. Then when the woman comes off the Femara, her body produces larger amounts of estrogen causing the ovaries to ovulate. He said clomid also works but there were more side effects. My wife had to sign some kind of agreement since Femara is not used for fertility. My wife is sweating and raging. I told her "Now you know how it feels". Thanks

DP: ...I still don't understand this doctor's explanation. In a young woman, 90% of her estrogen is directly produced from the OVARIES (not from aromatization from androgens). How can reducing a very small amount of her estrogen (less than 10%) cause her body to rebound and produce more? Something sounds really ROTTEN! You sure this guy isn't some quack?

How many weeks out do you recommend starting Lipolyze? What it the most amount of pills a day one can work up to safely?

DP: ...Thank you for the kind words. If you start eating a lot of carbs and drinking alcohol, you're going to get bloated. If you can, try to do some cardio every day. That should help the situation quite a bit.

A friend of mine has had extensive experience using growth hormone, his opinion of trying different brands is that some brands that are prescribed for growth defects cause more muscle growth than say a brand that is usually prescribed for AIDs patients cause more of a fat burning effect compared to actual muscle growth....

aren't all brands of GH using the same molecule structure? or am I missing something and my friend right about the differences in results?

DP: ....Real Human Growth Hormone is all the same (assuming it's 191 Amino Acids in length. Very few 192 amino acid GH is still on the market). Moderate doses (2-4 IU) per day are ideal for muscle growth and fat loss. Higher doses merely result in more side effects.

I got a quick question for you. I've been on your diet for a few weeks now and have lost 6 lbs in the process. I used to drink a protein shakes after my workouts before I started the diet.

Can I add them back in to my post workout regimen or should I continue to stick to your 6 meal plan and not add in the additional shake afterwards? Just for reference I add in chicken or almonds instead of the 2 shakes you mentioned in your diet plan.

DP: ...In my weight loss diet plan there's no pre- or post-workout meal. After and before training, you just eat one of your 6 meals for the day. If you want to keep losing fat, don't add in the extra meal, but if your goals are changing to adding muscle you can look to add additional good calories.

Can you explain why artificial sweeteners used in diet beverages have almost no caloric value while still producing a sweet taste? How is this possible? Do the studies that assert diet beverages can lead to tumors and other deleterious side effects hold any merit?

DP: ...In the case of ASPARTAME, the mixing of 2 Amino Acids (aspartic acid and phenylalanine produces a sweet taste (no one knows why)........... with regard to SUCRALOSE, chemists altered SUCROSE (table sugar) and produced a new compound that is like 100x sweeter than sugar. The benefit is that the body doesn't recognize it as sugar and therefore cannot use it as a fuel source. It passes through the body unused.
As for the studies, show them to me. They don't exist!

Dave, What's your take on stretching? Is it something that should be done all the time? or performing all lifts with a full range of motion most effective way to keep flexibility?

When is the best time to stretch? I heard before training decreases strength and increases injury, then I heard vice versa, and I also heard during training is the best? What's the deal with stretching? What's the best approach for a bodybuilder? I just want to keep myself injured free and flexible. Do you even bother with stretching yourself?

DP: ...You should do a light warm up before lifting and stretch the muscle between sets. After I finish training, I always stretch out in the aerobics room before doing my abdominal training. 10-15 minutes goes a long way in preventing injury, helping muscle growth, and aiding recovery.

1.Am using with my bulk cycle (sus/deca/dianabol) arimidex and I tried different dosages. It seems that .5mg/ed is working for me, I saw that you are advising 1mg/eod..So is it ok to use .5mg/ed if its working for me?

DP: ...Either way is fine.

2. On the cycles you are advising I noticed that u never mention test prop on bulk or cut...Just wondering why?

DP: ...There is no benefit over a longer-acting ester like cypionate. It just hurts a lot more.
3. If I buy you are "16 weeks precontest preperation",u just answer back my questions on emails? I mean what else should I expect?

DP: ... I send you a complete Diet Program (includes diet, supplement stacks, and cycle advice). Workouts and cardio suggestions are also included. You send me weekly photos and updates and I make the necessary changes so that you peak perfectly for your contest. I also answer any and all questions you have throughout the entire 16-week period. In a nutshell, I'm your coach!

Dave Palumbo

Last edited by a moderator:
thicknasty

thicknasty

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's a 1,000 page thread of Q & A with him on the MD forums. I've read about the first 400pages (only Polumbo's posts), it's a gold mine for info.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yea i agree thick nasty, it is a fantastic thread, i was on page like 89 :49:

A

Ancarlillo

very nice and interesting thread Daniel Andersson:xyxthumbs:

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DP: ...You should do a light warm up before lifting and stretch the muscle between sets. After I finish training, I always stretch out in the aerobics room before doing my abdominal training. 10-15 minutes goes a long way in preventing injury, helping muscle growth, and aiding recovery

I wouldn't stretch between sets - research has shown that stretching before lifting can affect your workout negatively. Mobilitydrills are a good thing to do before lifting, though.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wouldn't stretch between sets - research has shown that stretching before lifting can affect your workout negatively. Mobilitydrills are a good thing to do before lifting, though.

agree completely with this.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
agree completely with this.

i wish someone would have informed levrone of this. he always stretches a ton inbetween his heaviest sets on flat barbell. i always cringed watching him do that. he probably could have done more weight otherwise, or possibly avoided that pec tear :disgust:

Bhana

Bhana

DP is a smart man. Stretching the antagonist muscles pre WO has shown to help

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DP is a smart man. Stretching the antagonist muscles pre WO has shown to help

Not to my knowledge. It is a theory based on the principle of "reciprocal inhibition". This means that when the agonist contracts, the antagonist relaxes. It's theorized that by stretching the antagonist, you will get more relaxation of it and thus, greater activation of the agonist (prime movers). I know I read one study once that found this not to be true, but i'll look some more.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dave Palumbo's knowledge just impresses the hell out of me!!! it honestly blows my mind

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's a 1,000 page thread of Q & A with him on the MD forums. I've read about the first 400pages (only Polumbo's posts), it's a gold mine for info.

can u or even big ben post the link for this page??!!??!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm torn with Dave; he displays great knowledge and understanding of some things and complete ignorance of others (as IS pointed out).