• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Question for Mecca's Big Squatters...

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
1,644
Points
38
A question about leaning forward:

I'm shooting to enter my first powerlifting contest next year.
Currently, I weigh a soft and pudgy 165 pounds. I plan to eventually cut down to compete in the 148 class.

My PB's

Squat: 365
Deadlift: 365
Bench Press: 275

Now, my question is about bar placement and leaning forward in competitions. Usually, I squat in a high bar position and keep my torso as vertical as I can. However, when I test my max, I place the bar on my lower traps/rear delts, and also end up leaning forward. If I use a low-bar position and allow myself to lean forward, I can add quite a bit to my max.

Is it ok to lean forward and use a low bar position in a competition? All the big squatter I see max out tend to do this; I'm just wondering if this is "legal" in a meet. Sometime later I'll post vids to give you an idea.

FYI, I always keep my torso vertical and go ATG when I train, except on those rare days I test my max.


Thoughts? Comments?

:e5dunno:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
5,990
Points
38
Yes, in fact that is the best way to squat. It should help to keep you from leaning forward until you get really low. Squatting this way helps put the pressure or make the fulcrum in your hips rather than your lower back. I have several power lifting friends and that is how they place the bar on their backs, so to answer your question you can and should put that bar lower on your traps and rear delts.
Good luck with your training broskie and let us know how a comp goes when you enter :tiphat:
 
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
Jep its ok, that way you can incorporate more muscle which could lead to the use of more weight.
 
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
10,145
Points
63
lower on the traps is fine....as long as u dont mess up your form!!
 
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
1,644
Points
38
Thanks for the feedback.



I will definately be posting a log as the date approaches. "The Fatter, Lazier Lifterdead."

:tiphat:
 

Similar threads

F
Replies
3
Views
351
KaiGold
KaiGold
Chris Bumstead Feed
Replies
0
Views
331
Chris Bumstead Feed
Chris Bumstead Feed
Top