• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Questions about DMSO

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So yesterday one of the powerlifters that works in my gym was talking to me about my knee. I have bursasitis in my knee and I just have to be careful with it and cant go too heavy on squats. He told me that I should try out some DMSO and I was like what the hell is that. So he told me it was a cream that you could rub on it and the cream seeks into your skin. He told me they sale it at feed stores.

So when I left I went to the local feed store and asked the man working if they had any DMSO. He showed me the DMSO and while I was looking at it he said that a lot of people use it for arthritis and its great for it. So my question is does anyone know about this stuff, or does anyone know what this stuff really is?

It says it is DiMethyl Sulfoxide and is 99%purity

R

rick ramirezsublime

This is what i found.
DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE

Approved by:

David A. Brown, Director, EH&S
Effective Date: December 1, 2006
Revision Date:
Review Date:
SOP #

1. Process

Use of Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) in a laboratory environment.

2. Physical Hazards

q Colorless, essentially odorless liquid.

q Flashpoint is 192°F.

q Incompatibilities and Reactivities: organic and inorganic acid chlorides, strong oxidizing agents, alkali metals, hydrobromic acid, and acidic solutions of alkali bromides; prolonged heating above 150°C can cause rapid decomposition.

q Freezes (solidifies) at 18°C (64°F).

3. Health Hazards

q Dimethyl Sulfoxide has shown very few toxic symptoms in humans.

q The most common are nausea, skin rashes and an unusual garlic-onion-oyster smell on body and breath.

q High vapor concentrations may cause headache, dizziness, and sedation.

q Stinging and burning of the skin as well as rashes and vesicles have been seen. A heat reaction may occur if applied to wet skin.

q Avoid contact with Dimethyl Sulfoxide solutions containing toxic material or materials whose toxicological properties are not known.

q Dimethyl Sulfoxide easily penetrates the skin, but because of Dimethyl Sulfoxide’s low toxicity and the fact that Dimethyl Sulfoxide does not carry less-permeable substances with it through the skin, it can be concluded that Dimethyl Sulfoxide does not pose a significant threat by skin absorption.

4. Personal Protective Equipment

q EYE PROTECTION

· Safety glasses, goggles or face shields shall be worn during operations in which Dimethyl Sulfoxide might contact the eyes (e.g., through vapors or splashes of solution).

· Ordinary (street) prescription glasses do not provide adequate protection. Adequate safety glasses must meet the requirements of the Practice for Occupational Education Eye and Face Protection (ANSI Z87.1-1989) and must be equipped with side shields.

· Fisherbrand® Chemical Splash Goggles, catalog # 19-041-739 are recommended.

· Contact lenses shall not be worn if the potential exists for Dimethyl Sulfoxide exposure.

q HAND PROTECTION

· Use of Butyl rubber or neoprene gloves are recommended which are available through Lab Safety Supply, catalogue # 2BD-14998, medium weight. Check catalogue for sizes and finishes. For Neoprene Gloves, catalogue # 2BD-11778.

q LAB COATS, ETC.

· Lab coats, close toed shoes and long sleeved clothing shall be worn when handling Dimethyl Sulfoxide. Protective clothing shall be worn to prevent any possibility of skin contact with Dimethyl Sulfoxide.

q SAFETY SHOWER/EYEWASH

· Where the eyes or body of any person may be exposed to Dimethyl Sulfoxide suitable facilities for quick drench or flushing of the eyes and body shall be provided within the work area for immediate emergency use.

· Bottle type eyewash stations are not acceptable.

5. Designated Area for Use and Containment Devices

q All DMSO work shall be done in the laboratory fume hood.

q The fume hood’s sash must be in the position where a face velocity of 100 feet per minute is achieved.

6. Special Handling Procedures and Storage Requirements

q Store in a cool dry place.

q Keep away from heat and open flame.

q Keep tightly closed.

q Store away from heat and light.

q Distill with caution.

q Keep container tightly closed, in a well-ventilated place. Freezes (solidifies) at 18°C (64°F)

q Spill-X-S kit, which is available through Lab Safety Supply, catalogue # 2BD-14628, must be available in the event of a liquid spill less than 300 cc.

7. Waste Disposal

Excess Dimethyl Sulfoxide and all waste material containing Dimethyl Sulfoxide must be placed in an unbreakable secondary container labeled with the following "HAZARDOUS WASTE DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE". Full containers of Dimethyl Sulfoxide waste must be disposed of according to WFUHS EH&S Hazardous Waste Program.

8. Decontamination of Equipment and Area

Contact WFUHS EH&S at 716-1221 for decontamination information.

9. Spill and Accident Procedures

In the event of a liquid spill greater than 300 cc, immediately vacate and secure the area. Contact WFUBMC Security at 716-9111.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It has benefits for sure, a lot of the topical fat loss creams and such use DMSO as a carrier for absorption through the skin, and mix it with other compounds.

I haven't really looked up DMSO and arthritis ingredients especially, but it could have some site specific benefits.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the powerlifter told me that hes been using it for years. He says he rubs it on his shoulders on bench days and knees on leg days. I'm gonna try a small amount of it out on my knee and see how it feels.

R

rick ramirezsublime

tell us how you liked it!:tiphat:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the one thing that you'll notice right of the bat from DMSO, it smells like absolute ass!

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the one thing that you'll notice right of the bat from DMSO, it smells like absolute ass!

Couldn't agree more, DMSO is the worse smelling cream on the planet.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some use it to make topical steroids. :spy: and yes it does smell like complete ass but they sell some that smells slightly better.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do any of you guys in here use DMSO for any reason? I would just like to know and hear your experiences with it. So I used it last night on my knee and after a few minutes it began to set in and I could feel it going into the skin. It was kind of relaxing and it felt like it had loosened the joint up somewhat. It deff does smell like garlic. haha it was making me hungry for some garlic bread.

R

rick ramirezsublime

Also good for repelling vampires! I may have to get some for my knees as well!!:hmmm:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
haha yeah this stuff would be good for repelling vampires with its smell. I really think this stuff is working pretty well. I've used it a few times before going to sleep and my knee seems to be getting better. I'm gonna try it out this coming week on leg day and see if it will help with that as well.

anaboliod

anaboliod

I talked to a customers at BBcom yesterday who said he works at the horse racing track, he asked one of the caretakers what he was putting on the million dollar horses joints, it was DMSO. The man told me that he has been using it on his knee after 2 surgery's and it has really helped him recover well! Are you still seeing good results?? He told me DMSO is a derivative of MSM and it will molecularly change into whatever it touches, so don't buy the liquid in plastic containers only glass. He said humans should use the 70/30 concentration ratio but if the 99 workin for you keep it up!!

anaboliod

anaboliod

I dislocated my shoulder sunday:(:(..will this help my shoulder heal??

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
*cough* finaplix *cough*

lol

ya and also just about anything else you can think of really. But you lose a lot of the drug since its not an efficient way at all.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It does seem to help some. Its no miracle, but it is cheap and it helps some.