• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Rate/Critique Routine

B

bummer

How would you rate this routine:

Monday

Bench
I. Bench
D. Bench
Dumb bell Flyes
Skull Crushers
DIPS

Wednesday

EZ Barl Curl
Hammer Curl
Preacher Curl
Concentration Curl
Lat Pull Downs
One Arm Row
Reverse Dumb Bell Flyes

Friday

Leg Extensions
Lying Leg Curls
Standing Calf Raises
Lunges
Squats
Upright Row
Military Press
Lateral Raises
Dumb Bell Shrugs

HIIT Tues/Thur/Sat

Feel free to critique.

B

bummer

Heads up: I plan on doing HIIT 3 times a week, so a 3 day split is what i'm shooting for.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

on your Friday workout I would advise doing squats and lunges first since these are multi-joint lifts as I personally don't believe in pre-exhausting your muscles
also I would switch it up and do your shoulder workout on Monday along with chest and I would do your trap work with your back this is because it will be hard on your body doing so many different exercises on the same day and your energy levels will be low so by the time you finished legs and went to shoulders you wouldn't be able to give full effort
also if you make these changes I would add in the leg press and hack squat into your leg day and rotate 1 each every week
hope this helps

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Monday: Do dips before skulls. Do some kind of DB press (Incline DB or Decline DB)

Wednesday: Do you back exercises before biceps. Take out one of those bicep curls, you don't need four.

Friday: Squats and Lunges first. Military press before upright rows.

Make those changes are it looks pretty good. :tiphat:

B

bummer

How would you fit these exercises into a chest/tris-bis/back-legs/shoulders split? I'm sort of new to this so I'm not familiar with ever exercise.

Also if you feel I need to eliminate/add an exercise to a certain body part, let me know. Or of you know a better routine with this split, I'm open to suggestions.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Too much, if your going to incorporate HIT training the point is to maximize your stimulus for hypertrophy as well as maximize recovery. You will be overtraining like crazy so I would say that for one you are doing a lot already with what you are already doing.
Or by HIIT do you mean cardio?
If that is the case, do not do biceps before you back movements and your not doing enough for back. It is the largest muscle group next to legs and your only incorporating two exercises????
Also your volume is a bit excessive, I would eliminate the DB flies for chest they are pointless and will help lower your volume. And why do 4 bicep movements and two tricep movements? Triceps are 2/3 of your arm!
If your gonna stick to this good luck but I dunno how well it will turn out, but then again you never know.
Overall, trying to fit everything in three days is hard. It would be easier on you and more effective to make it a four day split to prevent overtraining and give yourself a break.
What are your rep ranges and amount of sets per exercise? That could help me more in ironing out your split/routine.

B

bummer

I meant HIIT cardio.

So how many exercises for each body part?

I'm not married to the 3 day split, just what I went with and they seem common. Certianly open to your suggestion of a 4 day split. Maybe a mon/tue, wed-off, thurs/fri and sat-cardio and sun off.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I meant HIIT cardio.

So how many exercises for each body part?

I'm not married to the 3 day split, just what I went with and they seem common. Certianly open to your suggestion of a 4 day split. Maybe a mon/tue, wed-off, thurs/fri and sat-cardio and sun off.

Yeah that is what I do pretty much:
back
chest
off
off or arms
legs
shoulders and arms or not arms if I did it earlier
off

Take days off as you feel necessary, trying to stick to a split and hit everything in four days will exhaust you. I take days off by how I feel, if I can train two days off with only one day to recover I will. Or I may take two or even three days off. To me the training week should not be stuck into five days or even seven, you should complete your split rotation given how your body feels whether that be 5 days or even 9. It took me years to realize that and now that I listen to my body my gains have been phenominal.

Good luck and let me know if you have an detailed questions.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah that is what I do pretty much:
back
chest
off
off or arms
legs
shoulders and arms or not arms if I did it earlier
off

Take days off as you feel necessary, trying to stick to a split and hit everything in four days will exhaust you. I take days off by how I feel, if I can train two days off with only one day to recover I will. Or I may take two or even three days off. To me the training week should not be stuck into five days or even seven, you should complete your split rotation given how your body feels whether that be 5 days or even 9. It took me years to realize that and now that I listen to my body my gains have been phenominal.

Good luck and let me know if you have an detailed questions.

:xyxthumbs:

i have yet to learn this lesson. i'm married to my split hardcore! wouldn't miss any workouts for the world lol

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How would you rate this routine:

Monday

Inc. DB Bench
Flat BB Bench/Decline Bench
Dumb bell Flyes/Pec Dec
Dips/Close Grip Bench
Skull Crushers/Tricep Extensions

Wednesday

Deadlifts (Sumo or regular)
Lat Pull Downs/Chins - work up to these if you can't do them yet
One Arm Row/BB Bent Over Row
Reverse Dumb Bell Flyes
EZ Bar Curl/DB Curls
Hammer Curl

Friday

Squats/Front Squats
Lunges
Lying Leg Curls
Standing Calf Raises/Seated Calf Raises
Military Press/Seated DB Press
Upright Row
Lateral Raises
Dumb Bell Shrugs

HIIT Tues/Thur/Sat

Feel free to critique.

I have adjusted your routine to the above - where I have suggested 2 exercises next to each other I would advise alternating between these every other session for variety. What Paulie said was bang on with regard to the exercise order and number which is what I would have (and have above) suggested.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:xyxthumbs:

i have yet to learn this lesson. i'm married to my split hardcore! wouldn't miss any workouts for the world lol

True, you will get there my young padowan.. but you do see how well I have benefited have you not?

B

bummer

J/w, this routine is more for definition right? That's what I'm shooting for.

Rest between sets 30-60 seconds?

edit: and thx for all the help. much appreciated.

J

jolly roger

You mentioned that you're 'sort of new to this', so based on that, I'll give my .02 - if I could go back, I'd probably start with a full-body program where I hammer the compound movements for a year. I'd absolutely have a couple of isolation movements in there, but you can build a more solid base if you focus on big movements. You mention pursuing definition, but you gotta have something to define.

Other than that, others have provided great advice on your split routine. Best of luck, and keep at it whatever you choose.