• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Sports specific training

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys, i've decided to take up a contact sport called Rugby league...the Australians, British and New Zealand folk will know what it is, but for the Vikings and Americans........its basically a game that revolves around a lot of quick sprints interspersed with jogging up and down the field as the ball progresses up and down.

so you need a good amount of fitness, but im playing in the fowards so i need to be strong and fast to take the ball up and smash into the opposing team etc......basically i have the speed and strength...i just need to modify the routine so i can recover as i have two training sessions involving lots of running and tackling drills per week plus a weekend game!

i train for footy on tuesday and thursday, with games on Saturday or Sunday

So i need a routine that will fit around those days and not leave me to fucked for training!

im thinking a FB or Up/lower Split, and probably just basic exercises for size and stability!

if anybody has any idea's let me know. i'll probably post my own later, but if anybody has some good ideas, let me know!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
League is for pussies, real men play Union! :p

What position are you playing? Prop I'm assuming from your weight.

A full body routine is what I'd recommend, lots of powerful compound movements help give you that juggernaut momentum you will need in the hit ups and the tackling power needed in defence.

Here's an paper I found for Union which will translate the same for League, ignore the hypertrophy stuff its essentially off-season and you already have size on your side. Check out the strength and power routines.
http://www.strengthandconditioning.org/dimages/Strength%20Training%20for%20Rugby%20Union%20-%20The%20General%20Preparation%20Phase.pdf

Here's who you want to emulate:
03.jpg

Shane Webcke aka "The Warhorse", 120kg of bone-crunching power. One of of top tacklers of the league and also well known for his powerful charges with the ball. Probably the greatest prop to have ever played the game.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've trained some people that play Rugby here and I think full body may be the way to go. A lot of olympic lifts, hang cleans, deads, snatches etc. Basically all of those power movements. I would alternate your days between strength oriented intensity and explosion oriented intensity.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also look into strongman type training, prowler pushes, sled dragging, farmers walks, etc.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
cheers guys

el freako......Webcke is the man.........im a huge Broncos fan hey! i cant believe he is 120 kgs, i thought he was lighter than that....epic, maybe i need to add some size! cheers for the advice

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok here it is! im going for Push Pull as FB is hard to balance for me! plus to many demanding exercises in one session

monday: 1-2 warm ups with working sets listed

low incline DB: 2 sets, 10-15 reps
Jerk and Press: 2 sets, 6-10 reps
Dips: 1 set, 10-15 reps
Squats: 1 sets 6-10 reps, 1 set 20 reps
Standing Calf: 1 set, 10-12 reps

Wednesday:

Undergrip Rack Chin: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Bent over row: 1 set, 10-12 reps
Rack dead: 1 set 6-9 reps, 1 set 9-12 reps
Preacher Curl: 1 set, 8-12 reps
Seated Ham: 2 sets, 8-12 reps

Friday:

Incline Bench: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Smith Press: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Decline SkullCrushers: 1 set, 10-15 reps
Front Squat: 1 set 6-10 reps, 1 set 20 reps
Seated calf: 1 set, 10-12 reps

Next monday:

Rack Chin: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Undergrip Row: 1 set, 10-12 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift: 1 set, 6-10 reps
DB Upright rows: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
DB Curls: 1 set, 8-12 reps

Although a lot of rugby programs seem to phase from hypertrophy, strength, and then power.......i have always found rep range relations to those three terms a rather unsupported link..........i always found moderate rep ranges best because you can make strength progressions and you less the chance of injury during training

i kept the working sets low because i don't believe excess volume improves results, but i know it hampers recovery, with all the running around i will be doing, i don't need to be working out longer than an hour, so i kept the volume low!

i think the exercise selection was pretty sound, a lot of big basic movements including the rack dead, which is my secret weapon, i was doing some tackling practice with my 120 kgs friend yesterday, he could put me on the ground unless i let him......i however floored him everytime because my lower back and core has been handling 200 kg loads for reps for some time now and it really translates well on the field!

If anybody had some different ideas about rep ranges feel free to put it up....just give an explanation of why? i think i got the exercises pretty right though!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that's a solid program dude, props. I'd substitute bulgarian squats instead of front squats, they'd be more sport specific to the type of stuff you'd be doing with rugby, plus I think they're an all around badass exercise.

Though I truly think you should seriously look into a couple days (perhaps every day after your "push day") doing strongman type conditioning/field work. You'd be a tank with this kind of training.

For example, stuff like this:

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not to sure how much running your doing but if you relate it all to say a fullback for American Football then what everyone else is saying should be pretty good. Back in highschool, training for football and powerlifting were one. They both had the same end goal. Strength and power.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cheers guys!

Ironslave: yeah i might incorporate some of that fieldwork training, i just need to find some space to do it!

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've trained some people that play Rugby here and I think full body may be the way to go. A lot of olympic lifts, hang cleans, deads, snatches etc. Basically all of those power movements. I would alternate your days between strength oriented intensity and explosion oriented intensity.

I agree completely, don't forget to eat for your sport too if you want all that work to actually pay off the way it should.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
, i was doing some tackling practice with my 120 kgs friend yesterday, he could put me on the ground unless i let him......i however floored him everytime QUOTE]

is this you painting your own truth again? like the time when you were all"I smashed you pickle" (refering to the afl game between drummond and smith and duval) and yet I dont think i even touched the ball that game,lol.

Stop running at a 120kg teddy bear whom's idea of contact sport is catch and kiss and come to sydney and run at me. I also guarentee Me at 95kilos is harder to tackle then your blow up friend. :food-snacking:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
, i was doing some tackling practice with my 120 kgs friend yesterday, he could put me on the ground unless i let him......i however floored him everytime QUOTE]

is this you painting your own truth again? like the time when you were all"I smashed you pickle" (refering to the afl game between drummond and smith and duval) and yet I dont think i even touched the ball that game,lol.

Stop running at a 120kg teddy bear whom's idea of contact sport is catch and kiss and come to sydney and run at me. I also guarentee Me at 95kilos is harder to tackle then your blow up friend. :food-snacking:

He just wants a cuddle :gaygay:

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ im just finding it hard to believe he is 95 kgs......definately painting his own truth there lol!

my friend can bench 180 kgs.......

p.s. drummond smashed duval at every sport......especially AFL we totally dominated and i won the toss every single time i went up! im only 6 foot woop!

how about you stop be an anus face and give me some training advice pal....

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
lol, depends what mode you are in. are you actually playing footy this season or are you training to play footy in 09' its a completely different story. Your frequency should def be less then 4 times a week if you plan on playing footy any time soon(alothough its probably too late?).

and in regards to your friend if he benchs 180 and cant tackle you he has obviously never played footy before.

P.s dunno if im 95kgs im upto 99 with my work gear on but thats shoes, long pants etc. so id say 93-95

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
"ok here it is! im going for Push Pull as FB is hard to balance for me! plus to many demanding exercises in one session
monday: 1-2 warm ups with working sets listed
low incline DB: 2 sets, 10-15 reps
Jerk and Press: 2 sets, 6-10 reps
Dips: 1 set, 10-15 reps
Squats: 1 sets 6-10 reps, 1 set 20 reps
Standing Calf: 1 set, 10-12 reps
Wednesday:
Undergrip Rack Chin: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Bent over row: 1 set, 10-12 reps
Rack dead: 1 set 6-9 reps, 1 set 9-12 reps
Preacher Curl: 1 set, 8-12 reps
Seated Ham: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Friday:
Incline Bench: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Smith Press: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Decline SkullCrushers: 1 set, 10-15 reps
Front Squat: 1 set 6-10 reps, 1 set 20 reps
Seated calf: 1 set, 10-12 reps
Next monday:
Rack Chin: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
Undergrip Row: 1 set, 10-12 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift: 1 set, 6-10 reps
DB Upright rows: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
DB Curls: 1 set, 8-12 reps"

Ok Mr Knightrider, From what I can gather you have already started to play??? I would down your weight training frequency. If game day is saturday then I would weight train Like this. Plus let me know when your training footy training is.

Monday- All Body- pick ur own exercises they seem sound but like ironslave suggested incorporate some strong man training. Sleds or parachutes are important as they are very specific.
Wednesy-Legs -pick your own exercises.
thursday/Friday-Upperbody -pick your own exercises.

methods for recovery should be explored too. pool sessions, ice baths, even cold showers-warm showers.

If game day is saturday I wouldnt suggest squatting the day before...

Good mornings?

what has your fitness regime been like?

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ thats pretty good you must be getting your strength and size back quickly then.......

i only train 3 times per week anyways dude, im going to probably just train these next two weeks and play in like 3 weeks time, i have no fitness, but im sure i will only be on for like 20-40 mins max.......until my fitness comes up.......the season is only like 4 weeks in i think!

did you see my push/pull spread on the other page...............it looks pretty sensible, 1-2 working sets per exercise and i do all the major lifts really! i probably will only be able to maintain strength if not lose a bit! but i thought i should keep volume low, frequency high and core exercises! rack deads have made me epic strong on my feet hey, its awesome

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you typed in a msg just before i responded to you first one fuck!

i actually was thinking of a FB, then up/low......i wrote one up, but considering the exercises i like to do, its hard hey, i'll have a play around with some ideas though!

i really think i need to be doing rack deads and stiff legs in the program which makes it hard to organise so my lower back is getting analysed!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
yeah my bad didnt realise u currently do 3 days a week. :) i think toy around with things tho. maybe skip stiffies and do rack deads and goodmornings. :tiphat: