• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Stephen King Weighs in on entertainment Violence

P

Pain

VIP
http://kotaku.com/376518/stephen-king-weighs-in-on-video-game-violence

Best-selling author Stephen King points up and rips down the double-standard of what's tolerable in violent films, compared with video games, in a brilliant op-ed for Entertainment Weekly. You should take a look at this, because as a creator of worthy stories filled with violence and suspense, he speaks with real authority. Plus, it's great to see this kind of defense in a mainstream medium.

King's been writing horror novels for nearly four decades, many of them reaching the big screen, some of them even winning Oscars. And he rightly points out that to a politician, a 17-year-old can see gruesome flicks like Hostel or Saw, but would be a danger to society playing the less graphic Grand Theft Auto or Hitman series.

Then he loses it on a bill before the Massachusetts state legislature, and it gets good.

You really should read the whole thing, but his kicker is well worth quoting here:

Stephen King said:
What really makes me insane is how eager politicians are to use the pop culture — not just videogames but TV, movies, even Harry Potter — as a whipping boy. It's easy for them, even sort of fun, because the pop-cult always hollers nice and loud. Also, it allows legislators to ignore the elephants in the living room. Elephant One is the ever-deepening divide between the haves and have-nots in this country, a situation guys like Fiddy and Snoop have been indirectly rapping about for years. Elephant Two is America's almost pathological love of guns. It was too easy for critics to claim — falsely, it turned out — that Cho Seung-Hui (the Virginia Tech killer) was a fan of Counter-Strike; I just wish to God that legislators were as eager to point out that this nutball had no problem obtaining a 9mm semiautomatic handgun. Cho used it in a rampage that resulted in the murder of 32 people. If he'd been stuck with nothing but a plastic videogame gun, he wouldn't even have been able to kill himself.

Case closed

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's true in so much as the government and the like using film, tv and game violence as a scapegoat for the ills already present.
If someone has the inclination to kill someone - watching a videogame or a film is not going to make a difference.
All the millions of well adjusted people who can manage to watch this stuff without suddenly having recourse to kill people expunges the governments insistence that it is brought on by video violence.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Stephen, we love you.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love you to.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My names Stephen too :tiphat:

Glute

Glute

My names Stephen too :tiphat:

umm i think your name is hypocrisy? guns don't kill people, bullets kill people. because all you could do with a gun and no bullets is maybe throw it at them?

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
umm i think your name is hypocrisy? guns don't kill people, bullets kill people. because all you could do with a gun and no bullets is maybe throw it at them?

Douse the gun with lighter fluid and throw it at people? :food-snacking:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
excellent suggestion! your quite the genious stephen hypocrisy :uhoh2::crymeariver::angrydude:

or put the lighter fluid in the clip seal it then use it as nade... dunno..
oh your welcome.:xyxthumbs: