• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Study: gut hypertrophy from milk products (in rats)

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The "dairy" thread inspired me to look, and found this. First I've heard of it, but I'll check it out more.

Gut Hypertrophy in Response to the Ratios of Casein and Whey Protein in Milk Formulas in Artificially Reared Rat Pups
Takaji Yajimaa, Takahiro Kannob, Youli Katokub, Tamotsu Kuwatab

Biol Neonate 1998;74:314-322

To elucidate the mechanism of gut hypertrophy observed in rats artificially reared (AR) on milk formulas, the effects of four refined formulas with different ratios of casein (C) and whey protein (W), CW 2:8, CW 4:6, CW 6:4 and CW 8:2, on the gut growth of AR rats were examined. Four groups of pups were infused with each formula through an intragastric cannula from age 5 to 15 days. Each of the four milk formulas showed a different character in the stomach, such as no curd, very soft curd, soft curd and hard curd, in response to an increasing ratio of C:W. There were no significant differences in body weight gain among the AR groups and mother-reared (MR) controls. The stomach growth, in weight, of AR rats increased in response to the increasing ratios of C:W. In comparison with MR controls, hypertrophy of the stomach of AR rats appeared within the formulas with higher proportions of casein than whey protein (CW 6:4 and CW 8:2), but not those with lower proportions (CW 2:8 and CW 4:6). The growth of the small intestine was also related to the increasing ratio of C:W in the formulas. A similar pattern of hypertrophy in the hindgut was seen in AR rats. There was no association between hypertrophy of the gut in AR rats and plasma triiodothyronine. The present results clearly demonstrated that the gut growth of AR rat pups was directly influenced by the diet but not by AR per se, and that hard casein-curd in the stomach might be one cause of gut hypertrophy.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i'm assuming this is temporary "gut hypertrophy" more commonly known as bloating. upon cessation of consuming dairy products is it not safe to say that any bloaing would subside?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i'm assuming this is temporary "gut hypertrophy" more commonly known as bloating. upon cessation of consuming dairy products is it not safe to say that any bloaing would subside?

I'd imagine so, but i'd have to look more into it. Though my n=1 experience, I've been eating a lot of cottage cheese and yogurt recently along with fruit, and I've noticed it more difficult to lose stomach adipose.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that's what i was thinking as well. one would think you would have to consume quite a bit of dairy over your lifetime for it to inflict permanent real gut hypertrophy and not bloating, which while undesirable, isn't a big enough deterrant for me to stop dairy consumption.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
New Scientist had a couple of articles recently on some of the milk and formula research that has been done on children. Apparently starting in on dairy or soy formula too early leads to lactose intolerance and increased incidence of diabetes (type I from memory). Wouldn't be surprised if there is a link between how much dairy you can take in and how early it was introduced to your diet.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ what about breast milk? is that grouped in the same category as cow milk and other milk/dairy products as a whole?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ No that is what they were studying. Basically if you breast feed for longer or shorter periods before changing over. Breast feeding has all sorts of benefits, even for babies :keke: One of the studies was looking at what benefits there were (higher IQ, better early development, etc), and another was talking about what caused it given that dairy and soy didn't. No conclusions on specifically what is in the breast milk that is so good early on, so it's likely it's a lot of things. Although I have read other studies that cite all sorts of factors that are good they just haven't been linked to baby development directly.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Tim290280
even for babies

i lol'd

ok that makes more sense thanks for clarifying.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milk ftw, useless post i know but i just had to say it