• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tricep extension grip width

Y

yardharr

As we all know, for biceps curls:
wide grip = more short head activation
narrow grip = more long head activation

I can't seem to figure out this kind of relationship when doing triceps extensions. I usually just go for shoulder-width grip with both humerus perfectly parallel at all times. I've noticed however, that people who use a slightly narrower grip often flare their elbows out to the sides using their traps and shoulders, so they can extend a massive amount of weight. These people tend to have gigantic medial heads, but pinner short tendons for lateral heads. I do the narrow grip with heavier weight and elbow flaring as a mass builder and as a separate exercise. What do you guys think though? What is the relationship between arm width and triceps extensions?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Read here: Tricep involvement - MuscleMecca.com Forums

I presume you're talking about cable extensions, ie. pushdowns. The chart seems to suggest that both of the grips you mentioned have heavy long head involvement, but the straight bar uses less medial head. I think you have it backwards. Those who train with a straight-bar might look like they have larger long heads due to the fact that they have underdeveloped medial heads.

Personally, I think you're focusing on the wrong area. You want big triceps? Press and dip hard. Just use extensions as a finisher.

Last edited by a moderator:
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^ I still cant get close grip pressing down. I hope i get better at it soon.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree.

If you are worrying about the development of X head of the X arm muscle when your arms aren't at least 43cm then you are really worrying about the wrong things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
worrying about stuff like this is called majoring in the minors. unless ure a pro bber or something i wouldnt worry about anything other than doing heavy basic movements and eating right and putting on size all over. for every 10 lbs of bodyweight gained the rule of thumb is ure gonna put an inch on ure arms.

as freako said, close grip bench and dips are king for triceps.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yep agree with you guys, no need to focus on different heads of the triceps if your arms are 14 inches and soft, hard and heavy, all it takes

Y

yardharr

Sorry I should have made it more clear. I meant extensions lying down on a flat bench with a bar over your head :p

I know that pressing motions like dips and close-grip bench are superior for mass building; I was simply pointing out an observation I made about the way some people press, though I'm not sure as to how correct it is.

That's not what I was asking though. I asked how grip width affects which head of the triceps, and I get bunch of responses telling me to "not worry about it".

Did I ask:
"hey guys what exercises do you do for triceps tone??? i do 30 rep sets of pronated one arm cable curls with half reps because i want tone LOL"?

No, I did not. My reasons for asking are out of curiosity. I'm trying to stimulate discussion here and you guys just assume I've never heard of a dip before!

El Freako, thanks for pointing out the lack of medial head development, I've never thought of that. That very well may be what it is I've noticed, just a lack of triceps development in general due poor triceps regimen.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ We're saying don't worry about it because of the data I presented in the link that ElFreako posted.

You can see that the head involvement in any tricep exercise does not exclude any one head completely.

So ipso-facto the problem is more likely to be size than anything. /end discussion.

pingu

pingu

Dont overthink... Heh..
Just to some heavy basic movements, and youre triceps will grow... :)