• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

UK Comedy vs. US Comedy

What sort of humor do you prefer?


  • Total voters
    15
Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
4,816
Points
38
Jesus Christ!! :bitelip:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
I would say it's more to do with ignorance than elitism, though you're right in saying art and media also have much to do with how a society communicates. Still, that ignorance probably stems from something other than exposure, as people are self-centered beings -- which is the nature of our perception -- and don't weigh other individuals and values as equal to their own.

I've noticed that there seems to be a relationship between people who can't understand others with an accent or lilt when they are less exposed to it. I agree there is an egotcentric nature too it, but it often seems to be about familiarity. That ability to work harder as a listener and familiarity with what they are likely to be saying and interpreting thusly.

I deal with this sort of thing at work often. People who I understand perfectly well are shunned by others as they don't have the same exposure to different cultures and languages I have had.
 
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
4,603
Points
63
both are pretty funny...British humour is definately more slick and intelligent where as american Commedy is mostly just dumb target audience of 2yo funny.

Try watching some french commedies with your mrs. oh gerard depadouuuuuu what could possibly be funnier then subtitles and some sacre slapstick. :(:(

Back on topic. Anybody watch "the peep show" i lol'd
 
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
5,990
Points
38
I like the accents and the slang that both British and Aussies use.. but it also makes me laugh so does that count as UK comedies? :wutyousay:

I prefer US comedies only because I have been exposed to that more often. I find myself intrigued by the British commoner dialect, but I can't stand the aristocratic dialect. Sounds like either a retarded American or very houty touty.

tim, you had to speak slowly most likely because of your accent, pronunciation and slang words that will make it hard for anyone not from Australia to understand. Here we have Ebonics... same thing :keke:
 
thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
491
Points
16
i like both but i like uk humour in small doses, after a while i stop laughing
 
Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,262
Points
38
Ebonics, what a joke! People who speak ebonics just need better education. Go back to school, foo! :ranter: :ihavesandinmyvagina :angrydude:

I prefer English style of comedy. I think Canada too is a bit of the same. Just check out Kids in the Hall.

The US though I find is more outrageous. Like Mad TV (early stuff was hilarious), even guys like David Chappelle, Lewis Black. It's really in your face. Ah, what the hell they're both good!
 
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
1,644
Points
38
Ebonics, what a joke! People who speak ebonics just need better education. Go back to school, foo!

Not true.
 
Top