• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Velcro Weight Lifting Belts

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I didn't no exactly what section to put this in, so move it if necessary. I've seen a few people wear them, what are everyone's thought's on them?

Something like this for those who don't know what I'm talking about:

Last edited by a moderator:
youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Weight belts have their place. What are you looking to do with it? I know the basic reasons but what are yours?

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
IMO weight belts should only be used during your heaviest sets. You need to strengthen everything and using a weight belt in excess is doing the opposite. However, if you use a weight belt don't waste your time with that Velcro crap. Bus something that actually supports you and doesn't come undone. If you lift light, sure, but then you shouldn't be using one in the first place. If you lift heavy, when you use them, get a leather strap belt and chose the thickness based on your comfort and type of lifting.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wasn't actually planning on using it, I rarely use belts, unless it's a very heavy lift.

I should of been clearer with my first post, I just wanted to get people's opinion's compared to a typical leather one. Braaq had the right idea :xyxthumbs:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally I use the Velcro for my heavy BB curls like at about +100 lbs. for that back support but I can use my leather. And for deadlifting REASON being my think leather belt do not allow me the flexability in the Traditional stance... but I am the only one who has this problem that I have ever met... so.

And I also use if I am working out directly after deads or deadlift day.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I prefer the velcro belts to the leather belts because the leather belts tend to dig right into me on things like deads and squats. But my velcro one is really thick so it does give me anough support during my heavy exercises. I only do use my belt on Squats, Deadlifts, BB rows and maybe shoulder presses.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yea same on my deads lance.... it's all a matter of preference.

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

i have a shiek velcro one
along with the belt you pull back to secure it, its ridiculously secure

never had a problem with it coming undone or even close to loose. very form fitting too.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you lift heavy, when you use them, get a leather strap belt and chose the thickness based on your comfort and type of lifting.

I totally agree I would never ... wear this velcro in the squat rack.... it coming undone can spell END for body building.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Palmetto

Palmetto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I prefer the leather belts because you know they will NEVER go bad and they can last a lifetime. But I agree with the post Braaq made about not wearing them. It's a good idea to try and lift as heavy as you can without a belt to help strenghten your back.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I totally agree I would never ... wear this velcro in the squat rack.... it coming undone can spell END for body building.

Buy a good one and that wont happen...its not like its just velcro holding it together lol....the Shiek ones are velcro then double strapped. There comfortable unlike leather belts and wont come undone trust me :D

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I use leather because thats what the pros use :spy:

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i had a leather belt if you notice in my squat and deadlifts pic, but i left it at my old gym and i stole 2 velcro belts from another gym, and im happy with them they fasten faster than the leather ones, i dont have to wrap it around a pole to tighten it.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
belts are pretty good..

i use the Setwear Fitness Boa Weightlifting Belt with the Pop&Click thing.. schlierkamp uses it too btw :)

and i only use it on a deadlift set which is over 400lbs.. anything under 400 i dont use it..

squats, shoulder presses etc. no belt :) only deadlifts :)

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Read Braaq's below and apply.

IMO weight belts should only be used during your heaviest sets. You need to strengthen everything and using a weight belt in excess is doing the opposite. However, if you use a weight belt don't waste your time with that Velcro crap. Bus something that actually supports you and doesn't come undone. If you lift light, sure, but then you shouldn't be using one in the first place. If you lift heavy, when you use them, get a leather strap belt and chose the thickness based on your comfort and type of lifting.

---

You need to strengthen your local and global core musculature, as well as the lumbar region to improve your strength, the importance is much more than you'd think. Using a belt of any type will regress one's core development = decrease in progress as time goes on. If you need one on heavier sets (80-90% 1rm), then use one.

My opinion hurr.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yea cause usally if I squat I hit the 450-600lbs. range and... im not trusting something that's thinner than my jeans.

mexiFRO

mexiFRO

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just picked up a velcro belt to try it out and it seems to be much more comfortable (as in, it doesn't dig into my abdomen) than my old leather belt. So far I like it more and it feels secure. If it gets loose, I will buy another one.