• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

Water/whey ratio effects absorption rate?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,941
Points
38
can you effect the absorption rate of a simple whey protein shake by changing the amount of water? like make the shake very thick(ie very little water) or making using a LOT of water for the same scoop
 
Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,262
Points
38
Damn, I never even though of this before. I just drink a shitload of water. Period!
 
MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,941
Points
38
i`m asking because i read this
A milk allergy would explain diarrhea and gastrointestinal inflammation/gas that could increase belt size if your always bloated. And if you replaced a liquid meal with solid food it makes sense that your weight would go up also. Liquid calories make you loose weight when compared to the same amount of calories from cooked food. ****They pass through the digestive system faster**** and cause a smaller response from the endocrine system which results in less weight gained. Unless of course we are talking about sugar water of any kind then the studies show the opposite which is a huge response from the endocrine system and a gain in weight.

that is why i am asking

and what exactly is the difference between liquid and cooked food calories?
 
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
To be honest never thought about it too. Though I cant think of any negative results from drinking it with 100 or 500ml water. I think Ben could shine some light on the case.
 
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
2,487
Points
38
It is not going to have anything close to a significant impact. The things that are really going to change absorption rate are manipulations of macronutrients combined with the whey. For example, adding peanut butter will slightly slow the absorption. No matter how thick it is, it is still going to pass like liquid calories. If you want to take advantage of the endocrine response, mix in some oats and peanut butter and you will get the best of both worlds.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
This is minuta that really doesn't need to be worried about. Digestion is affected by so many things that a few 100ml of water either way is going to mean virtually nothing.

Of course the more liquid you consume the more proteins and fats you will need to consume in that liquid to stop quick gastric emptying. Whey still needs some level of digestion (BCAA probably not) so that it can be absorbed, but not as much as more solid foods.
 
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
2,565
Points
38
To chewey,

No you misunderstood what i was saying. The reason liquid calories pass the digestive system faster is bc they spend less time being liquefied in the stomach than say chicken and rice or steak and rice or fish and rice bc they are already liquefied. That does not mean their absorption rate is lower say had you mixed the protein with something that causes a big response from the endocrine system such as dextrose.

Liquid foods do causes a smaller response from your endocrine system as a whole in comparison to whole foods. This is the explanation for the difference in weight. The exceptions to this are high fructose corn syrup and white sugar they have a big stimulating effect on the endocrine system also, but they also digest fast as well for the reasons stated above.
 
MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,941
Points
38
kk thx a lot!
xxxooo
 

Similar threads

CoachCelestine
Replies
2
Views
57
SpotMePlease
SpotMePlease
Bodybuilding_Video
Replies
0
Views
40
Bodybuilding_Video
Bodybuilding_Video
AlphaLifter
Replies
3
Views
128
chris_miller
chris_miller
Top