• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Weak bodypart train twice a week?

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
123
Points
16
For some reason, my chest is the weakest part of my body in terms of weight I can lift. It really bothers me. My split looks something like this:
M-Shoulders, Biceps; T-Legs; W-off; TH-Chest; F-off; SA-back; Sun-off.

My questions is it OK to add an extra chest day in there, maybe on Sunday, so that I hit it twice a week? And if so, will that even help me grow and move up in weight?

Thanks!
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
What are you doing for chest?
 
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
Its ok, but more isnt always better! Why not try an upperbody/lowerbody type split and use mostly compound movements while trying to progress in weight as much as possible.
 
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
1,788
Points
63
It deppends. If you're doing 5 exercises, 4 sets of each probably you won't be able to do any productive work later on the same week. In order to raise the frequency (and i think that could help you) you should lower the volume. Hit everything twice a week and see what happens.
 
OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
123
Points
16
Wednesday I did flat bench, incline machine, fly machine and dips
The reason I have that split is because the guy I workout with has that split and it makes it so we can work out together.
Storm/Philosopher, like a M-upper, T-lower, TH-upper, F-lower?
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
Wednesday I did flat bench, incline machine, fly machine and dips
The reason I have that split is because the guy I workout with has that split and it makes it so we can work out together.
Storm/Philosopher, like a M-upper, T-lower, TH-upper, F-lower?

What do you do???

One person says they do flat bench and it means three sets of eight, another says it and they mean they do 10 sets of 3 with 90% of max. Big difference!
 
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
10,697
Points
48
no one can be good at everything... having said that .. lol

if you want to increase poundages, I would suggest less exercises and less sets, like for 4 exercises max 10 sets, and lift in the 90%-95% of your RM, do mostly compound moves.
 
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
1,788
Points
63
Upper/lower is an option. Some people preffer a push/pull split. If you want to focus on strength gains have a look at Wendler's 5/3/1 (someone had to say it).
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
Good work in pimping the Lord Wendler Storm!
 
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
2,487
Points
38
Its ok, but more isnt always better! Why not try an upperbody/lowerbody type split and use mostly compound movements while trying to progress in weight as much as possible.

Bingo. Decrease daily volume and hit it more frequently for a change.
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
You've got two options basically.

1/ Increase frequency: change your routine to a 2x/week push/pull or upper/lower or a 3x/week fullbody. For a beginner level lifter I would probably suggest one of these, making sure you add weight to the bar each session if you hit the prescribed reps in the last session. Starting Strength or Bill Starr's 5x5 are good 3x/week strength builders or a simple Push/Pull split could go:

Push
Squat
Bench
Lunges
Military Press
Cable Pushdown

Pull
Deadlift
Pullups
Leg Curls
Bent Row
BB Curl
Or Upper/Lower...

Upper
Bench Press
Bent Row
Military Press
Pullups
Dips/Curls

Lower
Squat
Deadlift
Lunges
Leg Press
Calf Raises/Leg Curls

This will probably only work if you can convince your training partner to join you.

2/Adopt more of a strength building template for your chest/bench day eg. 5/3/1, 5x5, 8x3, etc. This would be easier to fit in with your training partner if he doesn't want to change his split. I'd recommed 5/3/1, its easy to follow and there are excel sheets available that map your cycles out for you.

Edit: Actually with your current split you'd quite easily be able to run 5/3/1 as a full program. Shoulder day would be Mil Press day, Legs: Squats, Chest: Bench, and Back: Deadlift. All you would need to do is hit 3 working sets of your main lifts at the start of each session then run along and play bodybuilder with your training partner for the rest of the assistance work. Do a search for "Wendler 5/3/1" and you will find a fair bit of info on the program.
 
Last edited:
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
1,788
Points
63
^^

Listen to him. He might be a small man but he knows his ****.
 
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
7,444
Points
38
I would have said compact... but whatever lol
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
I prefer "concentrated dose"...
 

Similar threads

BrofessorLift
Replies
9
Views
351
Sarah_lifts
Sarah_lifts
Chris Bumstead Feed
Replies
0
Views
127
Chris Bumstead Feed
Chris Bumstead Feed
PumpChaser
Replies
0
Views
201
PumpChaser
PumpChaser
Top