• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

What is the difference between animal and plant proteins?

Bodybuilding News

Bodybuilding News

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
3,336
Points
73
Protein is an essential part of the diet. It helps to build, repair, and maintain the body's structures. Foods derived from plants and animals can both provide protein, but there are some differences.
Protein exists throughout the body, in everything from the muscles and organs to the bones, skin, and hair. The body does not store protein like it does other macronutrients, so this protein has to come from the diet.


Proteins are made up of amino acids. A person's body needs a balance of all 22 types of amino acids to function correctly.


The body cannot produce nine of these acids, called essential amino acids.


A complete protein source refers to a type of food that contains all nine.


Click here to view the full article.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 30, 2018
Messages
506
Points
18
Animal proteins are complete because they have all the essential amino acids, but plant proteins are not because they may lack one or more of the essential amino acids. Animal proteins have a lot more fat and saturated fat than the plant proteins though, and meat has other harmful compounds in it as well, so you might want to consider that as well.
 
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Messages
630
Points
18
Well, in a very simple answer, the difference between the two is that animal proteins comes from animal meat and plant proteins comes from plants. Now, if you break it down to the mineral contents of these protein sources, it appears that animal proteins are more complete than the ones available in plants.
 
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 17, 2016
Messages
3,248
Points
48
I admit my ignorance on proteins. To me, any protein is good as long as it is from fresh food and not from pills or powder. I don't think I lack protein because I am a meat eater and I also love nuts. In fact, walnuts and dates will be my snack today. Natural food is my recourse when it comes to vitamins and I haven't tried energy drinks yet until now.
 
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Messages
630
Points
18
I admit my ignorance on proteins. To me, any protein is good as long as it is from fresh food and not from pills or powder. I don't think I lack protein because I am a meat eater and I also love nuts. In fact, walnuts and dates will be my snack today. Natural food is my recourse when it comes to vitamins and I haven't tried energy drinks yet until now.

I do take energy drinks from time to time especially when I'm into active workout. One of my favorite energy drink is red bull. I used to take power horse but choose red bull over it because it lightings me up real fast.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TalkAdmin
A

Athanas

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2017
Messages
149
Points
18
Plant proteins are extracted from plants, for example groundnuts and beans. Animal proteins, on the other hand, are derived from animals such as poultry, beef, pork and mutton.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TalkAdmin
TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Member
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
5,490
Points
138
Plant proteins are extracted from plants, for example groundnuts and beans. Animal proteins, on the other hand, are derived from animals such as poultry, beef, pork and mutton.
Good to see you back!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
 

Similar threads

Top