• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

When should one exercise after eating?

R

remnant

Banned
I read an article which stated that in a person exercises in the
immediate period after eating, the stomach will not case for the food.
I don't know the mechanism behind this but when should one resume
eating after exercise?

Torres

Torres

Usually if I eat a meal I try to give it at least 1-1 1/2 hrs before going to hit up the gym. I cannot eat and go to the gym right after. I feel bloated, lethargic, and nausea if I train hard, can't do it !!! Plus the body is trying to digest the food, so if your training it doesn't give the body a chance to accomplish its job, and for me it makes me feel like crap.
Either 1- 1 1/2 hrs after a meal or whenever I feel I'm not full anymore !!!
But everybody's different !!! I know dudes that need to eat before training . I don't get that . My.02 !

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, working out on a full stomach is a bad idea. We won't perform well, and we might even stop our digestion.

Big Beef

Big Beef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I notice a difference when I wait after eating as well. Definitely lethargic after eating in the morning, but some times, I don't have much of a choice due to work & other things, so I still go to the gym after eating. I prefer to wait an hour or so though.

fitnessmara

fitnessmara

Digestion takes time, this is a common fact, but how much - it depends on what you ate. Even for a glass of water, we need like 5 minutes to process it.
But, we don't need the full time of digestion to start working out.
It would be optimum to calculate how mu ch time it is needed for nutrients to absorb.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I would take my last meal at least 2 hours before my workout and that's not a full meal, only a snack. When it comes to a full meal, it has to be at least 4 hours before I hit the gym. This is to give sone time for my body to digest the food I ate before undergoing a workout.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For me, it is at least 2 hours before or after doing a workout. But as @fitnessmara said, it depends on the food that you had eaten. For a heavy meal, maybe 4 hours is enough but you can feel it yourself if you can indulge in a workout, your stomach will tell you. Working out on a full stomach is susceptible to indigestion. That is my usual problem when I had eaten more than my quota that's why I am always aware of that condition.

maj79

maj79

I like to got 1 1/2 hours after or one hr

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For some people, exercising right after eating can lead to nausea, but others can go right at it after they eat on a full stomach, and they experience no issues at all. This is not the idea situation though and the best time to workout is before you eat- this situation will help with recovery and minimizes muscle damage. You can actually burn more fat while exercising if you do not eat beforehand, but if you do, I would wait at least a hour before you do your workout. This will allow your stomach to digest and empty out, but if you eat something that is carbohydrate-based, like a granola bar or banana, this would be a better choice so you won't have to wait to work-out.