• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Which competition would you choose and why?

BD Bodybuilder

BD Bodybuilder

I am a 68 y/o amateur natural bodybuilder looking at competing for the first time in a year or so. I am considering an OCB event where I could enter the Age 40+ Male Classic Physique competition or the Age 60+ Male Open competition, but not both. I asked ChatGPT which should I choose, and below is it's reply (some personal info redacted). If you were me, which would you choose, and why?

ChatGPT Query:
==========

If I can enter an Age 40+ Male Classic Physique Bodybuilding Competition or an Age 60+ Male Open Bodybuilding Competition, but not both, which should I choose and why?

ChatGPT Response:
============

When choosing between an Age 40+ Male Classic Physique competition and an Age 60+ Male Open Bodybuilding competition, here are key factors to consider for your decision:

Age 40+ Male Classic Physique:​

• Division Rules: Classic Physique competitions tend to have stricter guidelines around muscle size and symmetry, often focusing on aesthetics and proportions rather than mass alone. If your current physique aligns more with a classic, streamlined look, this division might play to your strengths.
  • Younger Competitors: You’ll be competing against men in their 40s and 50s, who may have an edge in muscle density, skin elasticity, and recovery. This means potentially more difficult competition from younger athletes.
  • Aesthetic Focus: If your genetically *****, for example, are balanced by the rest of your body, and you’ve developed a classic physique shape (wide shoulders, small waist), you could fare well here.

Age 60+ Male Open Bodybuilding:​

• Muscle Mass and Conditioning: Open bodybuilding competitions typically focus on overall muscle mass, symmetry, and conditioning. Since you’ll be competing with others around your age, there’s a more level playing field in terms of muscle maturity, skin condition, and recovery ability.
  • More Comparable Competition: As a 68-year-old, your peers will likely face similar challenges with age-related issues like slower recovery and skin elasticity. You may find it easier to stand out among competitors your own age if your training and conditioning are top-tier.
  • Muscle Mass Focus: If your size, particularly in your genetically *****, is a strength and you’ve developed the necessary mass, you might perform well here, especially if your goal is to show off the hard-earned muscle you've built over the years.

Other Factors:​

• Recovery: Competing against younger athletes in the 40+ Classic Physique division could mean a longer and more grueling prep period to match their energy and muscle density.
  • Aesthetics vs. Mass: If your training over the next year focuses on refining the "classic" aesthetic (which includes symmetry, posing, and definition), the Classic Physique may be a better choice. If you're focused on overall muscle mass and want to highlight your size, the Open division may be better.

Recommendation:​

If you believe your body responds well to a focus on aesthetics, proportions, and symmetry, the Age 40+ Classic Physique could be a more challenging yet rewarding competition, pushing you to refine your physique further. However, given that your age group peers in the Age 60+ Open Bodybuilding may be facing similar challenges with recovery and conditioning, you might have a better shot at ranking higher in that category with less pressure to compete against much younger athletes.

What is your training focus currently—more towards classic aesthetics or building muscle mass? That might help narrow down the decision.