• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Yet another smolov jr thread - combined with another routine

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How do,

Well I've just come to the end of my russian power cycke which works with bench/squat and dead together and managed to hit new landmark PB's (for me) of 200kg deads and 180kg squat all beltless so I was pleased with the results.

I want to try a new routine and am ting about the smolov jr for bench (as my bench and chest are shit) however I don't want to neglect the deads or squat throughout this but need a structure for incorporating them with a specific set/rep/weight range.

What I was thinking is incorporating the 2 routines in so much as replacing the bench aspect of the russianpower cycle with the smolov and doing the russian power cycle aspect of the deads and squats as before.

Also I can't train 4 days per week. Due to work I train 3 days in an 8 day cycle which is obviously a little more rest than would be the case with the smolov but if I'm incorporating the dead and squat then this might not be such a bad thing. It'll mean the 3 week smolov takes about 4 1/2 weeks instead.

So the smolov would look something like this:

Week 1 (SETSxREPSxWEIGHT)
Mon - 6x6x70%
Wed - 7x5x75%
Fri - 8x4x80%
Week 2
Mon - 10x3x85%
Wed - 6x6x70%+10-20 lbs
Fri - 7x5x75%+10-20 lbs
Week 3
Mon - 8x4x80%+10-20 lbs
Wed - 10x3x85%+10-20 lbs
Fri - 6x6x70%+15-25 lbs
Week 4
Mon - 7x5x75%+15-25 lbs
Wed - 8x4x80%+15-25 lbs
Fri - 10x3x85%+15-25 lbs

but each week would move forward one day if that makes sense.

The russian power cycle is this:

http://www.joeskopec.com/extrussianpower.xls

So where the bench currently is I would be doing every session but following the smolov jr routine for it and simply keeping the dead/ squat pattern of this routine.

What do you guys think? Too much, difficult or bad to combine?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I might suggest to focus on your bench more and maybe just do some maintenance work with for your squats and deads. However your Smolov cycle won't be as taxing as the one I did because your getting more rest so it might be entirely possible for you to combine it with the power routine. Just do bench first each session because on the 10 set sessions it's a mothefucker.

I'm stealing your routine by the way.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It could be a bit much but manageable imo, if not lower the volume of the squats and deads but keep the intensity high. And to be sure take it easy with accessory exercises.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes agree with the points above. If you are doing a focussed program it is best to go to maintenance on the other areas so that you get the most out of it. I also think that focussed programs should only be reasonably short (4-6wks max) so that you overload and then recover. Design the program around those parameters.

Squats and deads should be able to be maintained with less volume at similar weights (say 1-2 sets).

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the input fellas. I will take it on board.
I sort of expected the responses but wanted to know if I was gonna be going too much by doing dedicated squat/dead routine parallel to the smolov for chest.

I may try doing both initially while both are easy, plus the squat/dead routine is actually 9 weeks so won't hit the hard part till the smolov is finished.

Depending on how it goes with recovery, and literally being able to perform it, will depend on how long I keep both up for.

Any further comments/opinions will be welcomed.

El Freako and Rage - glad you're trying the russian cycle. I was a bit skeptical at first and up till nearly midway through but it certainly produced the results I wanted. Hope it's as beneficial for you! :)

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm stealing your routine by the way.

Use it wisely. I dunno how experienced you are but for a novice/intermediate lifter this is not something they benefid from. Its a protocol based on a 9 week progression schedual. A novice/intermediate lifter could benefid way more from more frequent/linear progression like 5x5 or rippetoes program

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Use it wisely. I dunno how experienced you are but for a novice/intermediate lifter this is not something they benefid from. Its a protocol based on a 9 week progression schedual. A novice/intermediate lifter could benefid way more from more frequent/linear progression like 5x5 or rippetoes program

I've done the advanced 5x5 and handled that pretty well so I think I'll do ok. I do consider myself a fairly advanced lifter these days... :tiphat:

Cheers for the concern though.
:xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've done the advanced 5x5 and handled that pretty well so I think I'll do ok. I do consider myself a fairly advanced lifter these days... :tiphat:

Cheers for the concern though.
:xyxthumbs:

I didnt think you were a novice thats for sure. But it could be usefull for other people as well. Dont jump in programs which you dont know were its for. This is for advanced peopel who need to build a smart routine for 9 weeks to add 5-10 pounds to their lifts. Not for novice/intermediate people who can do that on a weekly base.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Don't jump in programs which you don't know were its for. This is for advanced people who need to build a smart routine for 9 weeks to add 5-10 pounds to their lifts. Not for novice/intermediate people who can do that on a weekly base.

Definitely good advice! :gaygay:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've actually adjusted the russian cycle whilst doing the smolov which might actually make it harder rather than easier to run them in tandem - I've got rid of the maintenance dynamic effort squat session where I stick at 6 x 2 at the given weight, so basically I'll be altyernating the dead and squat and increasing reps/weight each time as the routine dictates. This will reduce the session to about 6 weeks so I'll be further through by the time the smolov finishes. We'll see how it goes...