• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

ZMA - Any good

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
765
Points
18
Does it has any benefids or shold I spend my money on something else.
 
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
8,184
Points
63
It doesn't work any good for me. But I have heard others saying it works great for them, so have a go and try it out. :)
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
Depends on what you mean by "good". I find it gives me amazing sleep, which is certainly helpful. But as far as a testosterone booster? Nah, it's unlikely. There are some places I've seen bottles less than $10 which is worth it, but I wouldn't pay $35-$45 for one, as seen in some places.
 
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
8,184
Points
63
Here in sweden its cheaper to buy Zinc, magnesium and some Vitamin B6 instead for a bottle of ZMA, so check which is cheaper
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
Here in sweden its cheaper to buy Zinc, magnesium and some Vitamin B6 instead for a bottle of ZMA, so check which is cheaper

No doubt, and that's probably true everywhere. But having said that, it's actually probably cheaper to buy ZMA from a supplement comany like 1fast400, than it is to buy the individual ingredients from a local drug store.

This is a really good deal. $16 for 3 months of ZMA (I take 2 caps/night).

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1041
 
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
3,384
Points
38
The mojor benefit that I got from supplementing with ZMA was having awesome sleep, from the instance my head hit the pillow to when my alarm clock whent off. Not sure about testosterone boosting proporties, the main reason why I took it was because I wanted more quality sound sleep, and it sure as hell worked.
 
D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
13,133
Points
38
i tried abottle of ZMA afew years ago, also mainly to help with a deeper sleep,
it sure did work for a sleeping-aid

Peaceful rest
deeper sleep
some crazy dreams :keke:
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Eli80Cal

Eli80Cal

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
43
Points
6
As said above.... It gives me awesome sleep. Not sure of much else. All the info about increased test has been in Z or M deficient subjects . You wake up without any grogginess, unlike benadryl or the like. Worth a shot if cheap enough.
 
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
2,487
Points
38
It may have the ability to increase testosterone if deficiencies in other areas are causing decreased testosterone. For example, if it gives you a better nights sleep, that in itself can increase testosterone. Another example, intense exercise depletes zinc, which can deplete testosterone, so if its not replenished elsewhere, then it is well worth the money.
 
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
3,384
Points
38
Since I haven't been sleeping too good these past nights, I'm going to be purchasing the ZMA. But I think I'll just buy some zinc, magnesium and vit B6 to save some money. O and yes Dridd, when i last had ZMA I had some mad ass dreams man, it was great lol.
 
Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
612
Points
16
Eli80Cal

Eli80Cal

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
43
Points
6
With ZMA also, there is a huge debate about Calcium, and absorption of the ZM in the presence of Calcium. I have seen very different opinions on this, with some saying that any calcium will ruin the ZMA, and others saying the aspartate form has a higher affinity than the calcium. The debate rages, with most favoring no calcium. As a sleep aid, I have found no difference with either the total absence of calcium or sprinkled on my cottage cheese. I still sleep like a rock with it.
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
Agreed with Eli... combining calcium and ZMA is controversial, but imo, highly blown out of proportion.

Dietary Factors Influencing Zinc Absorption.
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/5/1378S



"It appears unlikely that calcium per se has a negative effect on zinc absorption. We added calcium to cow’s milk formula to a level of ~1300 mg/L and found no significant difference in zinc absorption from the formula with the regular level of calcium (500 mg/L) through the use of radioisotopes in human adults and paired observations (Lönnerdal et al. 1984 ). Similarly, Spencer et al. (1984) and Dawson-Hughes et al. (1986) added large amounts of calcium to a meal and found no effect on zinc absorption in human adults. It also appears that the long-term use of calcium supplements has no effect on zinc status; Gambian women who were given 1000 mg calcium/d had plasma zinc concentrations similar to those of unsupplemented women (Yan et al. 1996 )."
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
Gives you good sleep you say... hmmm.

Raise your hand if you're an insomniac.
*raises both hands*
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
I don't take a ZMA supplement per se, as you can get Zinc supplements that have the same ingredients. ZMA is Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate, and is just zinc magnesium and Vit B6 (pyridoxine). It was developed by Victor Conte (founder of BALCO Labs) and the formula is "patent pending" and the name "ZMA" trademarked.

So if it is ZMA it just means you have one of the bioavailable forms of zinc and magnesium. There are others and they can't be called ZMA. As long as it has those 3 in a bioavailable form it is very good to take. I actually take it instead of a multi. And yes the sleep is much better.
 
Top