• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

10 things that worked for you.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
4) Four times a day? LOL, I think that's a little bit too much, mate. Nothing's better than the good ol' chicken breast! :thumbsup2:

Why is that too much? it's just protein and an easy way to get some calories in compared to eating 4-5 extra chicken breasts.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why is that too much? it's just protein and an easy way to get some calories in compared to eating 4-5 extra chicken breasts.

How many grams of protein do you guys take each day from shakes?

I mean, if you are having 1.5 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight... and assuming you are eating oatmeal, chicken or some tuna plus protein shakes each day... it wouldn't be so much protein?

Clear up my mind, please :D

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to take about 50% of my protein from shakes, and I consumed about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I mean, if you are having 1.5 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight... and assuming you are eating oatmeal, chicken or some tuna plus protein shakes each day... it wouldn't be so much protein?

I agree that a heap of shakes isn't the best idea, but it can have its place. This is mainly when you need quick absorbtion, convenience or dieting. The rest of the time food is really the better option.

But 1.5g/kg is not really a heap of protein. In fact it can be as little as 15-20% of calories. I actually think that you need to worry more about making sure that you have a good macro ratio (bearing in mind the 1.6-1.7g/kg) and have plenty of good nutrients coming in.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

At the moment I'm having 1 shake a day but that is only because I'm dieting and there for prefer whole foods. If I wasn't dieting I'd probably be drinking 3 shakes a day and might even be with double scoops and some oats in.

I'm also having almost 4 (3.75) grams of protein per kg of bw during my diet.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
At the moment I'm having 1 shake a day but that is only because I'm dieting and there for prefer whole foods. If I wasn't dieting I'd probably be drinking 3 shakes a day and might even be with double scoops and some oats in.

I'm also having almost 4 (3.75) grams of protein per kg of bw during my diet.

I don't get it, mate. Wouldn´t be shakes PERFECT for dieting purposes and whole food the best for the offseason? I mean, when you are bulking it doesn't matter if you gain some bodyfat (whole food has it) but when you diet you want "clean" protein (shakes).

3.75 grams? I always thought you could not use more than 2gr per kg each day. Is that a myth?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't get it, mate. Wouldn´t be shakes PERFECT for dieting purposes and whole food the best for the offseason? I mean, when you are bulking it doesn't matter if you gain some bodyfat (whole food has it) but when you diet you want "clean" protein (shakes).

3.75 grams? I always thought you could not use more than 2gr per kg each day. Is that a myth?

it makes perfect sense for JB to eat more whole food now. last year when i dieted whole food was heaven. ur walking around constantly hungry, and eating a can of tuna or some chicken makes u feel fuller than drinking a shake will. when ur offseason, u get tired of eating, and shakes are convenient to supply u with the protein u need:)

i dont get the whole food has fat thing. it depends what ure eating. chicken and tuna are totally lean, and supplies only protein. typically ull cut out fattier protein sources, like red meat at the later stages of ur diet.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Exactly. Real food has a higher satiety index than a shake. Makes the diet much more tolerable.

Although JB does have an iron will and a granite physique.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
glad this thread is till on.

good discussion here.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

You can store fat from almost anything if you just consume enough of it.

Why couldn't you use more than 2gr per kg BW?

Anyway Bulkboy already answered the rest of the questions:

it makes perfect sense for JB to eat more whole food now. last year when i dieted whole food was heaven. ur walking around constantly hungry, and eating a can of tuna or some chicken makes u feel fuller than drinking a shake will. when ur offseason, u get tired of eating, and shakes are convenient to supply u with the protein u need

Shakes are also a good tool to get some serious calories in. I used to make some with a ½ liter milk, 60 gr protein, 150gr oats and some more (fruit for instance) and it had a total of 1000 calories. Just blend it all and you can have over a 1000 calories in less than 30 seconds.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Tnx for the tips, JB, this thread got awesome!

ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. learning the basics of nutrition and keep learning

2. using free weights and going heavy

3. beeing patient

4. beeing consistant

5. learning what supplements i need and dont need.

6. doing heavy squats (ATG) and deadlifts

7. variation in my traning and diet.

8. training smart, avoiding serious injuries.

9. only using a belt on very heavy lifts, and using straps a little as possible.

10. getting enough rest and enough sleep

A

akafuqin

1) My 4 eggs for my morning meal..I can't stress how much it helped me lean out.

2)Musclemecca.com hands down I learned so much valuable information from this site... Every exercise is explained fully and in detail in this forum. It has taught me so much about nutrition too

3) Squats. I am never gonna skip my squats twice a week anymore. Its amazing how much they help my overall body.

4) Deadlifts. Same as squats, I pack these 2 together and I feel like I actually accomplished something the next sore morning. Never again will I neglect it

5) Rows. As far as barbell rows and t-bar rows and dumbbell rows go, my back is great, and my biceps get more of an exercise than if I curled. 2 for 1!

6) Variation. I mixed low volume high reps, and high volume low reps and starting to see much more improvements..

7) Eat eat eat eat within 30 minutes of working out or running.

8) Run after workout

9) Plan out my meals, day, follow a schedule basically

10) Multivitamins!

I got lazy in going into detail halfway through :p

J

jacked475

1) Interval training
2) 6 Meals a day
3) Deadlifts and squats
4) Training every muscle group twice a week
5) Moderate to heavy ab work 4 times a week
6) Training with a trainer 3 times a week
7) Crossfit
8) Changing my workout every 6 weeks
9) Not focusing on lifting weights all the time. Mixing it up with Boxing and other similar sports
10) Patience and the power of positive thinking!

B

bodyforum

Let me start.

1 - Oatmeal, Lots of it! best way of gaining mass.

2- Replace my pre-workout shake by a solid meal, chicken or tuna.

3- go to the 12-15 reps in machines/ isolation exercises

4- Do Hams before Quads. This really put some size on my quads.

5- cut the standing DB curls, Cable crossovers, Lunges(despite being a good exercise for legs.. never worked for me).

6- stop training rear delts and traps.

7- Front raises with a plate all the way up.

8- Rack pulls

9- Doing Bent Rows on a step. (and really bent over position.)

10- ?

it sounds really good to work...

thanks for the post..

keep posting..

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
okay so I've had 2 totally different bodies in 2 years. one was kinda big at 220 and decently pudgy ..and pretty strong ..and the other (now) down to almost 170 and trying to pop them abs out..so I'll do 5 for the getting big, and 5 for the getting small :)

big:
1.seafood diet..what I saw is what i ate
2.eat very late at night...you can't burn off salisbury steak grease and yummy sloppyness just sitting on your ass lol..so you gain.
3. focused on bodybuilding..that's all i thought about..getting big.
4. bigger weights.
5. even though i can't ever...try to get not just sleep..but sleep within the good window of time.

cut:
1. drift away from bodybuilding a little.
2. play a sport. I got back into baseball, and it was great motivation to burn that tub off my tummy.
3. have a rock hard brain late at night when on low carb. sitting down bored on low carb is HELL when you start wanting that chocolate or that ice cream.
4. treadmill ftw. treadmill beats any ellyptical or stairmaster.
5. scale. weigh yourself the same no matter what..with or w/o shoes ..with or without clothes..and you'll see that weight boucing off if you are working hard.
6. one more thing I just started doing...looking at a before photo. lol. enough said!

B

bodyforum

okay so I've had 2 totally different bodies in 2 years. one was kinda big at 220 and decently pudgy ..and pretty strong ..and the other (now) down to almost 170 and trying to pop them abs out..so I'll do 5 for the getting big, and 5 for the getting small :)

big:
1.seafood diet..what I saw is what i ate
2.eat very late at night...you can't burn off salisbury steak grease and yummy sloppyness just sitting on your ass lol..so you gain.
3. focused on bodybuilding..that's all i thought about..getting big.
4. bigger weights.
5. even though i can't ever...try to get not just sleep..but sleep within the good window of time.

cut:
1. drift away from bodybuilding a little.
2. play a sport. I got back into baseball, and it was great motivation to burn that tub off my tummy.
3. have a rock hard brain late at night when on low carb. sitting down bored on low carb is HELL when you start wanting that chocolate or that ice cream.
4. treadmill ftw. treadmill beats any ellyptical or stairmaster.
5. scale. weigh yourself the same no matter what..with or w/o shoes ..with or without clothes..and you'll see that weight boucing off if you are working hard.
6. one more thing I just started doing...looking at a before photo. lol. enough said!

well best of luck in that case...

hope u meet ur goals...