• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

2008 MM Awards - Most Annoying Member

Who was the Biggest Nuisance in 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I discussed this previously. It is relatively easy to spot when someone is not being truthfull, especially when you ask for details. There are some things he is full of shit on and others he is just exaggerating slightly. For example his KKK story is just bogus. The likelyhood that he saw a lynching and wasn't spotted is just preposterous. He also had absolutely no details about the incident and the person he was with changed from being a mate to being a relative, etc.

It's the same in the logs. If you know roughly what a strength training individual is capable of then you can spot outliers (easiest one is from squat poundage and claims of ATG with a deadlift that doesn't match). So all it takes is a look at experience level and relative size/proportions and you can work out if someone's claims are legit.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "not the best judge of character" and what that has to do with lying.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I discussed this previously. It is relatively easy to spot when someone is not being truthfull, especially when you ask for details. There are some things he is full of shit on and others he is just exaggerating slightly. For example his KKK story is just bogus. The likelyhood that he saw a lynching and wasn't spotted is just preposterous. He also had absolutely no details about the incident and the person he was with changed from being a mate to being a relative, etc.

It's the same in the logs. If you know roughly what a strength training individual is capable of then you can spot outliers (easiest one is from squat poundage and claims of ATG with a deadlift that doesn't match). So all it takes is a look at experience level and relative size/proportions and you can work out if someone's claims are legit.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "not the best judge of character" and what that has to do with lying.

max squat 475x7, max deadlift 475x5

is this person lying?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
max squat 475x7, max deadlift 475x5

is this person lying?
:linedrunk:

I said you would then look at the other details. :methman:

One thing you can say is that you don't get too many unassissted squats that are the same as their deadlift. So you can assume that their depth on the squat isn't particularly low, or that they wear support gear, or that they have some shitty proportions for deadlifting (or all of those). You look at the rest of what they do, their stats and then figure it out.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:linedrunk:

I said you would then look at the other details. :methman:

One thing you can say is that you don't get too many unassissted squats that are the same as their deadlift. So you can assume that their depth on the squat isn't particularly low, or that they wear support gear, or that they have some shitty proportions for deadlifting (or all of those). You look at the rest of what they do, their stats and then figure it out.

doesn't the bolded statement alone devalidate any percieved ability to spot a lier?

and this person uses knee wraps, and goes about 80-85 degrees in depth while squatting. liar?

edit: i know i'm giving you a hard time tim, but i'm just curious as to what your response is based on your "sleuthing"

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
doesn't the bolded statement alone devalidate any percieved ability to spot a lier?

and this person uses knee wraps, and goes about 80-85 degrees in depth while squatting. liar?
You know I'm not really a fan of these straw man argument/discussions.

No. The bolded part just means you have to take a look at his other lifts and stats!!! I'm not the greatest lie detector but science does make one a skeptic and trains you to work through things logically.

I'm not saying you can see a number and go calling BS. But you can can then ask the questions you need to in order to figure it out.

Most trainees will be doing well to have a 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat and 2.5xBW deadlift, plus 1xBW overhead. So when you see someone who claims to have a double bodyweight incline press and yet they can't overhead press their own bodyweight then alarm bells start ringing. But you still have to find out if they do those lifts on a machine, whether they have a shoulder injury, whether they don't overhead press much, etc, etc, etc.

So in the example you gave: the lifter is unlikely to hit thighs parrallel (which I assume the 80-85 degrees is not the 100-110 you need dependant on style), or is unlikely to be squatting without assisstance (knee wraps can be worth 15-25kg or several reps), or may have a spotter, or may have shit form. At a guess the lifter is unlikely to be over 5'9" unless they are over 220lb. Have they got a long enough training history, most would need 4-5yrs to reach this stage, unless other factors such as AAS are involved. If they are a professional lifter then these terms of reference aren't accurate but this would be apparent in the way that the lifter trains or their stats.

I'm not saying it is simple, but it is relatively easy. The above example I gave is from a lifter that claims to incline press over 1.5xBW (pretty damned impressive for 2yrs training) yet only manages to do the equivilent of 0.6xBW when shoulder pressing. Doesn't that sound suspect to you too?

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You know I'm not really a fan of these straw man argument/discussions.

No. The bolded part just means you have to take a look at his other lifts and stats!!! I'm not the greatest lie detector but science does make one a skeptic and trains you to work through things logically.

I'm not saying you can see a number and go calling BS. But you can can then ask the questions you need to in order to figure it out.

Most trainees will be doing well to have a 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat and 2.5xBW deadlift, plus 1xBW overhead. So when you see someone who claims to have a double bodyweight incline press and yet they can't overhead press their own bodyweight then alarm bells start ringing. But you still have to find out if they do those lifts on a machine, whether they have a shoulder injury, whether they don't overhead press much, etc, etc, etc.

So in the example you gave: the lifter is unlikely to hit thighs parrallel (which I assume the 80-85 degrees is not the 100-110 you need dependant on style), or is unlikely to be squatting without assisstance (knee wraps can be worth 15-25kg or several reps), or may have a spotter, or may have shit form. At a guess the lifter is unlikely to be over 5'9" unless they are over 220lb. Have they got a long enough training history, most would need 4-5yrs to reach this stage, unless other factors such as AAS are involved. If they are a professional lifter then these terms of reference aren't accurate but this would be apparent in the way that the lifter trains or their stats.

I'm not saying it is simple, but it is relatively easy. The above example I gave is from a lifter that claims to incline press over 1.5xBW (pretty damned impressive for 2yrs training) yet only manages to do the equivilent of 0.6xBW when shoulder pressing. Doesn't that sound suspect to you too?

fair enough. yes it would. good post.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Can see this turning into maybe a 3 way or a 2 way tie

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
TonyK could still come from behind... :p

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Can see this turning into maybe a 3 way or a 2 way tie
I'd be surprised if Duality's badgering of Tim in this thread doesn't put him over the top. :coolguy:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

as much as you want that story to be fake, its not sorry. you live in autralia you know nothing what goes on where im from :). and i never said it was with a relative so your speaking out your vagina right now. it was a buddy of mine that im not gonna say his name. :bowroflarms:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
as much as you want that story to be fake, its not sorry. you live in autralia you know nothing what goes on where im from :).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one that had previously made assumptions about Tim's life?

*shrug*

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one that had previously made assumptions about Tim's life?

*shrug*

acually no. i made a statement and he blew up on me saying that i better watch the attitude cause idk how many people have died in his life which led me to blow up in the chatroom on him. the statement i made in no way was disrespectful i said that dying from cancer or a car crash is not as dramatic as 9/11. and wasnt even directed towards him. so no i made no assumptions about tims life.

*shrug*

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
acually no. i made a statement and he blew up on me saying that i better watch the attitude cause idk how many people have died in his life which led me to blow up in the chatroom on him. the statement i made in no way was disrespectful i said that dying from cancer or a car crash is not as dramatic as 9/11. and wasnt even directed towards him. so no i made no assumptions about tims life.

*shrug*
Do I really need to pull it up again? Even if you didn't intend to directly insult him, he certainly wasn't happy about your remarks. Quoting his post referring to the people in his life he lost and then saying the above, amongst other things, aren't as traumatic as what you've experienced was insensitive to say the least, particularly when you know nothing about his life. I don't really want to go through this again, but you seem to have a knack for saying the wrong thing, thus bringing such incidents to a boil.

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do I really need to pull it up again? Even if you didn't intend to directly insult him, he certainly wasn't happy about your remarks. Quoting his post referring to the people in his life he lost and then saying the above, amongst other things, aren't as traumatic as what you've experienced was insensitive to say the least, particularly when you know nothing about his life. I don't really want to go through this again, but you seem to have a knack for saying the wrong thing, thus bringing such incidents to a boil.

ok but thats not what you just ask me. you asked me if i previously made assumptions about tims life, and i told you i didnt. now if he got mad its understandable, but i didnt mean it in that way. so with saying that we can drop it, and move on with our lives. :xyxthumbs: