• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Daily log of things that annoy you IN THE GYM

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
High school weight room:
EVERYTHING and EVERYONE
No seriously the list is infinite:
-Guys benching with the shittiest form ever, wailing their feet off the ground, bouncing it as hard as possible off their chest, stomping on the ground, a spot where basically the spotter is doing heavy curls, etc.
-No one racks their weights back.
-Everyone does 1/4 squats especially the football players and acting like they're the shit.
-Power cleans, don't even get me started with their form. I mean I'm all for helping, but I'm not helping a bunch of guys that think they're doing it right.
-After executing the terrible power cleans, the football players will go on and teach bad technique to someone new.
-Like above, people with bad technique in every exercise showing new people bad technique.
-People acting like they're the shit because they bench a lot, but they bench 2x more than they squat or deadlift. This one skinny kid yesterday benched 225 yesterday with a bro-spot and thought he was the shit. Try and squat 225 and you'd collapse.
-Basically a social environment in the weight room. Everyone chatting and walking around, etc.
-This fucking pisses me off. When I'm doing clean and jerks, snatches, or even squats, people walking on the fucking platform or right next to edge of the bar. If you get smashed in the fucking face, don't blame me.
Hm, I basically hate a majority of the football players. Unfortunately, I am friends with some of these people and I'm guilty of socializing with them in between sets.

I think my biggest annoyance is probably bad form. However, if I see someone consistently going to the gym and trying to improve their health and such, then that's okay. I'll just go over and help them. I'm a form/technique nazi so any bad form really annoys me.

There's a bunch more to add to the list, just can't think.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
lol, i should post in this thread regularly everything in the gym gives me rage. lol

Most recent memory. 3 sessions ago I was doing my regular session of squats,bench,rows + accessories. Im into my bench portion so id already done ass to the grass squats. tallie mc tall comes in and sets up the squat rack next to me(the one i just finished with). I mean Im tall but hes got about 3 inches on me and easily 20-25kgs. Ive seen him do his typical 1 bodypart a day split and hes fairly big but with an obvious gut and he always has his weight belt on. But anywho, I figured a trip to the squat rack should be interesting and for a big dude possibly even motivating for the spectator. At this point I should point out hes just walked into the gym and short of warming up in the 40 meter walk to the squat rack hes done nothing yet his knees are already wrapped and hes taking his belt out but just to tease, its not going on yet, he puts it on one side of the bar while he warms up... (rage at unbalanced bar,lol) He picks the safety bars off the floor and quickly establishes the squats hes going to be doing by putting them on their highest setting... I do a quick assessment of the angles and symmetries of the pedostrophies and its clear even though hes a tall dude with the safetys at the top he could only be going parrelel, at best. Anywho, im still moderately pumped hes a big dude it should be good? Warm ups begin one plate a side he goes short of the parralel on every rep. every single one. He may as well have warmed up with elfreako standing in his bum trajectory because his depth would of tickled a standing freakos glorious head of hair. Anywho after his warm up set of 1 plate a side one 8th squats. He goes 2 plates a side. Surprise! he keeps same form. He must of done about 12 or so one 8ths and then he belts up. SERIOUS time bitches! He moves onto his 3rd warm up set 3 plates a side same depth as in the bend he gets in his knees to unrack the bar initially he replicates that bend 10 times and straightens back to the start position. He ups the weight 4 20s a side and a 10 a side. 180kg!!!! He could not handle 100kg and hes doing 180(200 with the bar). LOL. Important detail i left out before. He is obviously training for size but his legs are like an emus, comparatively to the rest of his body. In his defense the extra weight actually forced him to greater depths and I think he actually hit quarter squat depth on 180 and for his following sets of 160 afterwards. I finish up on the bench and bring the bar to the floor for rows work through to my 5th set of rows and hes onto about his 2nd set on 160. He catches me with my earphone out and he asks me a few questions and Intrigued I encourage him to big note himself. He tells me hes on a diet (LOL) hes squatting light (LOL) usually he squats powerlifter style (which he asked me if i knew) and goes upto 240kg... I smiled politely and was all like "wow" lolol. His mate then came and he proceeded to tell him about how today hes squatting light with a narrow stance because its a shaping exercise. Note to self to shape my quads i must 1 8th squat with a narrow stance. RAAAAGE

co05

co05

^^ Perhaps you are not familiar with the forming properties that partial-partial reps have? I mean, BRO, the only way to get big PECS is to bench like you have a 3-board on your chest only, you know, with no actual board there.

And your bi's? DUDE, you have to try this awesome style of preacher curl. You don't actually have to CURL the whole movement, you curl the top 1/6th of the movement while moving the rest of your body up, down and around the preacher bench.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
and the thing that agro'd me most is his training buddy is a kid with great genetics and his got this doosh to give him advice. I saw the kid a few days after going about 6 inches from touching his chest on an incline for every rep. Curse you ego lift gym guy.

lol. I think my next write up will be tommoorrow. Lets see if I bump into mr. imagenary lat syndrome. He wears a belt to do chest flys (with 10kg dbs for about 30 reps on every set...) and incline curls more weight then ive seen him use on any chest movement. l o l

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^^ Perhaps you are not familiar with the forming properties that partial-partial reps have? I mean, BRO, the only way to get big PECS is to bench like you have a 3-board on your chest only, you know, with no actual board there.

And your bi's? DUDE, you have to try this awesome style of preacher curl. You don't actually have to CURL the whole movement, you curl the top 1/6th of the movement while moving the rest of your body up, down and around the preacher bench.

lol:omgwtf:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ How come everyone is always squatting light today???

Every time you speak to someone squatting they are always going light today. Is it because they are ashamed of the weight on the bar? Do they just have to acknowledge they suck at squatting? Are they just trying to make sure you know that their max is 20% more than what they are hitting up reps with?

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^^ How come everyone is always squatting light today???

Every time you speak to someone squatting they are always going light today. Is it because they are ashamed of the weight on the bar? Do they just have to acknowledge they suck at squatting? Are they just trying to make sure you know that their max is 20% more than what they are hitting up reps with?

lol, good point. without doing it intentionally i did it to the first non doosh ive met at my gym. He approached me and was all "nice depth on your squats are you training to do a powerlifting meet." and i was all "nah just training for overall strength todays a light day though." he was like "light day hey". lol im such a doosh. He was a great guy tho. Only just got into lifting weights regularly and he already has read up on 5/3/1 and 5*5. If i had done reading when I started to get serious about the weights i wouldnt of wasted 3 years lol.

co05

co05

I was deadlifting one day and this guy that talks to me now and then walked up to me. He started chatting about the weight on the bar.
"Ohhh, man are you sure you're full Asian? That's a lot of weight" (It wasn't)
"Yeah man, I'm full Asian, blah blah blah"
"Ohh yeah, I wish I were strong but I have an excuse. I'm Asian"
"Well, that's no excuse"
*flabber-ghasted, confused, 'that's not a idea I've ever considered look*​

*Same dude tried to 'spot' me on the pullup bar by standing directly under me and placing his hands on my back. He also put his hand on my ass when he said hi today, you know, because a hand on the shoulder is invasive and threatening.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
- People who talk to me when I'm doing a set.
- People who take forever between sets.
-

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok here is my contribution, I don't normally like to be a whinging pussy complaining about stuff that has no impact on me in the gym, but this does.

Why is it that most gyms I've been to in the last couple of years have traded their good dumbbells for pieces of shit?? I refer to the dumbbells that have little to no knurling on the handles. This is just pathetic. How are you meant to hold a heavy dumbbell (the gyms I went to had them up to 65kg) when the bar is chromed and slippery?!?!?!

Oh that's right, I'm meant to not hold onto the bars or weights, I'm meant to tie myself to it or wear some padded gloves like a pansy. "Oh it will help you target your big muscles." Stick a sock in it you bunch of pussies and get some knurled bars and dumbbells :angrydude:

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally i could give two shits about how other people lift. The two things that bug me are people who interrupt my workout in any way, and people who think they are above putting their weights away after they are done using them.

Tim makes a great point, and I have never ran into that issue but it would bug me if I did. I try to use lifting gear only when absolutely necessary. I try to always avoid a belts especially since my umbilical hernia repair. I use a belt on my heaviest sets and always try to build on not using it every workout. I honestly believe the belt played a large role in me getting the hernia. Even with the mesh in place if i place my belt to low and the pressure from the lift goes onto the repaired hernia it hurts and i avoid that as much as possible by training the shit out of my core and rarely using my belt.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^just about all the DBs at my gym have chrome and shiny handles :(
luckily there are some that dont, maybe the chrome got stripped away or something?, but since everyone always uses the shiny ones i get the old raggedy looking ones to myself :)

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I don't have a huge problem with the half smoothe dumbells... I have a massive problem with the smoothe fuckin barbells though. They aren't shiney or anything, but they are poorly knurled.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
- People who talk to me when I'm doing a set.

-

there's one guy that always starts talking when i'm doing some exercise near him... always trying to say funny jokes when i'm doing a set. and he is not funny.. fucking anoying!

I think he appears in one of Joaot's deadlift videos in his log..the guy is entering the rack area.. you can identify him easily cause he is way.. shorter than Freako.:rofl3:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't have a huge problem with the half smoothe dumbells... I have a massive problem with the smoothe fuckin barbells though. They aren't shiney or anything, but they are poorly knurled.

I've noticed that chromed barbells are slippery regardless. They have to have super aggressive knurling before the chrome is no longer slippery when your hands get a little moist. For some reason bars in gyms have been made to be nice and shiny not proper weight lifting bars.

The good old power bars and weightlifting bars are just not being bought anymore. The last gym I was at had a couple of old power bars and they were what the real lifters were using. I have a black oxide power bar in my gym and it is fantastic.

co05

co05

I've noticed that chromed barbells are slippery regardless. They have to have super aggressive knurling before the chrome is no longer slippery when your hands get a little moist. For some reason bars in gyms have been made to be nice and shiny not proper weight lifting bars.

I have that problem at my gym, too. Luckily it's a university gym and they haven't given into the influence of commercial gymism because provide us a chalk bowl!