• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official MMA News/Discussion Thread

• Thread starter CaptainCharisma
  • Start date
onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jackson's interview was hilarious:xmasrofl: His lines about Sylvia and Cena were awesome, and his Tito shot was dead on funny and accurate. Viva Rampage on season six of TUF, since they've likely filmed and/or begun such on the fifth.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the 5th season apparently has Pulver and Penn as coaches with pure LWs in the show, and of course apparently Pulver will fight Penn at the end of the season...this is all specualtion though

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pulver better shape up then, because as much as I'm tired of BJ and his overly-large mouth, he'll kill Jens unless he brings his game face.

All lightweights should be good unless they all go for decisions, whether by lack of skill or not being willing to risk anything. I remember Dana's 'pep talk' in TUF3; hopefully it will have stuck through season five.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
LW's are usually more exciting than other fighters. They're alot more fast paced and technical, plus i have heard that they are bringing in some legitamite LW contenders to compete in the show. I can only hope that the rumor is true, cause if it is, the next season of TUF may be amazing.

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree... I believe LW's are very exciting. I believe it is a fairly weak division in the UFC and they need to bring in some high profile LW's to promote the division. Stevenson,Florian,Yves Edwards and Sherk but are not capable of headlining a PPV IMO.
Would love to see some more Japanese talent brought over to UFC as some of these guys are real showmen and put on entertaining fights. Guys that come to mind are Genki,gomi and Kid.
Obviously very expensive guys though

fallen

fallen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Penn will beat Pulver imo, but i think it will be a good show either way. The LW are fun to watch

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice calls, JS. Shooto would be a prime ground for Dana to recruit some top-notch lightweights, and with they way he's been buying up others, maybe he'll pick up a few there.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The UFC has a pretty damn good LW division for one thats just started up guys, for starters they got Hermes Franca, Tyson Griffin, Mark Hommonick, Jens Pulver and Din Thomas are a few of the great guys in that division that come to mind.

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd toss Melvin in there as well. His body shot KO was amazing in his last fight.

Although they all pale next to Scott Smith and Pete Sell. Seriously, that was the most inspirational and amazing fight I've seen since Forrest and Stefan #1.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
CaptainCharisma said:
The UFC has a pretty damn good LW division for one thats just started up guys, for starters they got Hermes Franca, Tyson Griffin, Mark Hommonick, Jens Pulver and Din Thomas are a few of the great guys in that division that come to mind.

I agree that these guys can fight.. my point was just that they couldn't headline a PPV.. thats the only reason why I thought it would be a good idea to bring in some established bigger names.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Although that would be the case for us, it would only be because we know those other LWs. You guys gotta remember, in the US a Melvin Guilliard has more marketability than a Takanori Gomi just because he was on TUF, so it would be easier for him to headline a PPV than Gomi, in the US at least.

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Fact. Sherk and Florian were amazing though, so I believe the LW division has what it takes to headline every now and again. We'll just have to see if Dana gives them the chance.

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
CaptainCharisma said:
Although that would be the case for us, it would only be because we know those other LWs. You guys gotta remember, in the US a Melvin Guilliard has more marketability than a Takanori Gomi just because he was on TUF, so it would be easier for him to headline a PPV than Gomi, in the US at least.

Fair call...
I was thinking they could run some big promo stuff showing these guys destroying people in other orgs... much like what they would have done with Wanderlei.. no worries as this wont happen anyway..

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
onebigeric said:
^Fact. Sherk and Florian were amazing though, so I believe the LW division has what it takes to headline every now and again. We'll just have to see if Dana gives them the chance.

I believe that Sherk at 155 can easily headline a PPV. He beat Florian with ease with basically one hand. Give him a few more fights to get used to the weight completley, and ill make the prediction that Sherk will become beyond dominant at 155.

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ who are number 2 and 3 in the division u rekon?

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The LW division is sorta screwy ever since Gomi lost Aurelio, but then he won afterwards...but its still screwy. I think Gomi, Aurelio, Sakurai and Sherk are up in the top 3-4, depending on how you see it. Give Sherk a few more fights and i can almost gaurentee he'll be 1-2.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No one has a clue wtf Cro Cop is doing...

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic could be making his U.S. debut as early as February. Where is still the question.

Adding more intrigue to what could become one the sport’s most influencing free agent acquisitions, Nevada State Athletic Commission Director Keith Kizer stated Thursday that he has been contacted by both the Ultimate Fighting Championship and PRIDE Fighting Championships recently, both stating their intention to host Croatian Filipovic (21-4-2) on their upcoming cards. UFC 67 is slated for Superbowl weekend Feb. 3. Japanese-based PRIDE promotes their second U.S. event on Feb. 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:xmasrofl: Does Cro-Crop?

Any way he goes, I just want to see him compete again soon.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i guess we'll find out wtf hes doing in February, either UFC 67/68 or the PRIDE show in Vegas