• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

WrestleMania 2010

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But it's not just the mega-stars, there have been a ton of excellent stars at/near the top though for the last decades (at least, since the "Monday Night" era), even if they weren't great wrestlers at least they were captivating. Hogan (entertaining), Savage (entertaining and skilled), Hart (both), Sting (both), Flair (both), DDP (both), Foley (both), Undertaker (in his prime, both), Piper (both), Hennig (both)... even guys like Sid (entertaining), Vader (entertaining)...

nobody today is on the level of these guys.

That's very accurate.

P

Pain

VIP
But it's not just the mega-stars, there have been a ton of excellent stars at/near the top though for the last decades (at least, since the "Monday Night" era), even if they weren't great wrestlers at least they were captivating. Hogan (entertaining), Savage (entertaining and skilled), Hart (both), Sting (both), Flair (both), DDP (both), Foley (both), Undertaker (in his prime, both), Piper (both), Hennig (both)... even guys like Sid (entertaining), Vader (entertaining)...

nobody today is on the level of these guys.

The 90's defiantly had the best wrestling stars, not arguing with that.

Look at it like this, did you ever imagine guys like Edge, Orton or even Jeff Hardy getting to where there are now back when they first started?

The main problem and probably the biggest problem in wwe is that its rated pg-13. We are no longer the target audience... which is weird because they now have 10 times more strippers than they did in the attitude year.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lots of real wrestling fans here, its awesome

Last night i watched the last RAW before WM26....yawn...

Seriously, they better step their game up

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP

Look at it like this, did you ever imagine guys like Edge, Orton or even Jeff Hardy getting to where there are now back when they first started?

did austin look like a star in wcw? edge orton and jeff hardy have talent and theres nothing wrong with them as talent. they are just poorly utilised and boring characters. Edge is good on the mic but look what he has to work with "im going to beat you by hitting you with a move ive forgotten the name of what is it again?"

every one of his promos since returning have been about chris jericho being arrogant without any flamboyant dissing and how he is going to spear him. thats ok, but the problem lies in the creative team making everyone the same. as him. Edge is another everyday guy where are the freakin eccentrics?

P

Pain

VIP
did austin look like a star in wcw? edge orton and jeff hardy have talent and theres nothing wrong with them as talent. they are just poorly utilised and boring characters. Edge is good on the mic but look what he has to work with "im going to beat you by hitting you with a move ive forgotten the name of what is it again?"

every one of his promos since returning have been about chris jericho being arrogant without any flamboyant dissing and how he is going to spear him. thats ok, but the problem lies in the creative team making everyone the same. as him. Edge is another everyday guy where are the freakin eccentrics?

Edge as a face is horrible and boring. He always comes off cheesy when trying to get over with the crowd. He is better at being a heel.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Edge as a face is horrible and boring. He always comes off cheesy when trying to get over with the crowd. He is better at being a heel.

QFT, edge is born to be a heel, just like Orton and Batista, they just can make people hate them but like them at the same time.

Best heel right now in the WWE is sheamus, and that is just sad..

P

Pain

VIP
QFT, edge is born to be a heel, just like Orton and Batista, they just can make people hate them but like them at the same time.

Best heel right now in the WWE is sheamus, and that is just sad..

To be honest, I'd say cm punk is the best heel right now.

P

Pain

VIP
btw, the HBK video package for mania 26 is by far the greatest video package I have ever seen. The guys that do these in wwe are unreal.

Whats everyones plans for mania? I plan on eating a bunch of junk food and drinking a few beers. Good thing I have monday off work as mania is 4 hours long plus the HOF ceremony is on saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

The main problem and probably the biggest problem in wwe is that its rated pg-13. We are no longer the target audience... which is weird because they now have 10 times more strippers than they did in the attitude year.

Edge would be the only one of those 3 who I'd consider took it to another level (and you're right, he sucks as a face). Initially, no, there wasn't much way of knowing he'd become pretty big. But he had to change his character to get to that level. Orton was essentially pushed down our throats from near the beginning, he became more tolerable but still I wouldn't argue that he has the "it" factor. Jeff Hardy didn't really change at all, he just got a bit bigger since he was pretty entertaining in the ring. I wouldn't include Orton or Hardy in the same level with any of those aforementioned 90's stars.

I don't think wrestling needs to be much more than PG-13 to be successful. The most entertaining wrestling angle of all time was almost unarguably the original NWO, and that was on Turner's network which is as strict as it gets with being "family oriented."

It's tough, but the storylines and the personas of the wrestlers just aren't even close to being the same.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Edge would be the only one of those 3 who I'd consider took it to another level (and you're right, he sucks as a face). Initially, no, there wasn't much way of knowing he'd become pretty big. But he had to change his character to get to that level. Orton was essentially pushed down our throats from near the beginning, he became more tolerable but still I wouldn't argue that he has the "it" factor. Jeff Hardy didn't really change at all, he just got a bit bigger since he was pretty entertaining in the ring. I wouldn't include Orton or Hardy in the same level with any of those aforementioned 90's stars.

I don't think wrestling needs to be much more than PG-13 to be successful. The most entertaining wrestling angle of all time was almost unarguably the original NWO, and that was on Turner's network which is as strict as it gets with being "family oriented."

It's tough, but the storylines and the personas of the wrestlers just aren't even close to being the same.

i totally agree. I remember reading the rocks book and he described how much free reign him and austin had with their stroy line and they both agreed to push it as far as they could. Guys j arent creative any more. The talent and originality of the attitude era was great. I mean honestly john cena is comparable to the rock in so many ways, but he is not nearly as talented at entertaining as the rock was. I personally cant stand cenas character, its boring and dull IMO. I honeslty use to laugh when the rock did interviews the dude was hilarious, and the funny part is that in his book he said that someone would walk upto him during raw or what ever show he was at and tell him "rocky,uhave a live interview in 5 mins." The rock said some of his most memorable interviews were off the top of his head. Like when he asked lillian Garcia if she was wet..............with perspiration for the rock? But pickle really made agreat point and that is they are trying to establish feuds 2 weeks out from PPV events. Feuds use to last months at a time taking 2 and 3 ppv events b4 everything was settled. The talent has changed and so has the product, and the writers suck now more than ever.

Classic rock:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
P

Pain

VIP
I wonder who will return after wrestlemania. The wwe always have someone return or debut the night after wrestlemania.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To be honest, I'd say cm punk is the best heel right now.

CM punk doesnt really feud with anyone, when he fueded with hardy, yes he was the best, now...just a guy that is there to get the crows riled up and fight some meaningless fights

The rock was awesome, best wrestler on the mic, ever period.

Goldberg..hhm...is he in shape??

P

Pain

VIP
CM punk doesnt really feud with anyone, when he fueded with hardy, yes he was the best, now...just a guy that is there to get the crows riled up and fight some meaningless fights

No one has long feuds anymore. Back in the 80's, feuds would go on for years, now its 3-4 weeks... with the occasionally long feud like HBK/Y2j from 2008.

He still works out.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP

hes always in pretty good shape so he can cripple people that are good at what they do. I call bullshit on his return though. Why would wwe go back there? a mega match with batista? yawn

The Rock I dont think is any more talented then cena. They are both charasmatic. What made rock better was he had a hell of a lot more exposure more freedom and familiarity with the crowd. The rock would come out and give the same promos night in night out, most promos would have 1 minute to 2 minutes(even more) of repeating material (candy ass, finally, smell what the rock is cooking, sexual conatation if talking to a girl, who in the blue hell or what is your name if your a boy.) frankly anyone could pull that off and it was his exposure that allowed him too. If the writers sat down and said ok, we are going to give cena a reoccuring spot on the mic and develop him for fan participation every monday night he'd suddenly become a hell of a lot more interesting the crowd would participate and either love him more or hate him more and if the latter then get rid of him. Hes already over though so they may as well beef up his personality.

Given the chance though he has no reason why he couldn't be as big as the rock. Whenever the rock makes a comeback or cameo now his pops and crowd reactions are a 5th of what he used to get and its not because the wrestling audience feels like he cheated them its because his exposure isn't there anymore, give cena more exposure and he could be austin, rock esque.

The worst thing about wwe now is rather then having random segments they try to have organised chaos threw one billion interview shows, the cutting edge, the highlight reel, carlitos cabana. gayyyyyyyy just call the person your feuding with out and make a go of it son.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No one has long feuds anymore. Back in the 80's, feuds would go on for years, now its 3-4 weeks... with the occasionally long feud like HBK/Y2j from 2008.

He still works out.

True, but from day 1 at ECW sheamus has been sheamus, kick ass hate everybody and be evil

Sheamus has lots of potential as a heel for sure, so does Mcintyre

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Rock I dont think is any more talented then cena. They are both charasmatic. What made rock better was he had a hell of a lot more exposure more freedom and familiarity with the crowd. The rock would come out and give the same promos night in night out, most promos would have 1 minute to 2 minutes(even more) of repeating material (candy ass, finally, smell what the rock is cooking, sexual conatation if talking to a girl, who in the blue hell or what is your name if your a boy.) frankly anyone could pull that off and it was his exposure that allowed him too. If the writers sat down and said ok, we are going to give cena a reoccuring spot on the mic and develop him for fan participation every monday night he'd suddenly become a hell of a lot more interesting the crowd would participate and either love him more or hate him more and if the latter then get rid of him. Hes already over though so they may as well beef up his personality.

I disagree. Cena doesn't have enough exposure? It's been essentially all Cena all the time for the past few years, and is on the mic essentially every week. Cena has charisma, but as The Rock would say, he has less charisma than the Great One has in his the people's strudel alone. I honestly think Cena needs to turn into a vicious heel, but unfortunately since he sells a lot of merchandise that probably is not going to happen.

Whenever the rock makes a comeback or cameo now his pops and crowd reactions are a 5th of what he used to get and its not because the wrestling audience feels like he cheated them its because his exposure isn't there anymore, give cena more exposure and he could be austin, rock esque.

Oh? I believe this was his last in ring appearance. Speaks volumes.

Or, his last surprise Titantron appearance, he wasn't even there and his reception is better than anything of today.

Though, if we're talking about classic receptions, just throwing this in there for kicks, this stands out in my mind as THE best ovation of all time. Nobody active today will ever be able to get this kind of response.

Only one I can remember coming close.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The only person that can get an ovation like that nowadays is Rey Mysterio if they did a Raw episode in Mexico, that guy has the biggest fan base

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
good reception for a taped segment but not amazing.

How much mic. time does cena receive? Im pretty sure the mic has been dominated by dx and legacy and mr macmahon for the past 2 months on raw. Cenas involvements on the mic have done nothing to build up his fan base. Its not his fault its poor scripting.