• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

5x5 good for adding size or no

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy really isn't anything worth worrying about though, almost all hypertrophy is a result of myofibril anyways.
 
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
5,990
Points
38
Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy really isn't anything worth worrying about though, almost all hypertrophy is a result of myofibril anyways.

I agree but then you have to wonder why power lifters who do nothing but low reps and heavy weight (mostly myofibril hypertrophy) do not gain the size that bodybuilders do with their addition of higher reps inducing sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Point being, do not ignore one form of hypertrophy when you should try to get the most out of both. Most of my training is geared toward myofibril hypertrophy because you are right, but I still add in some higher reps on given exercises and it makes a difference.
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
I agree but then you have to wonder why power lifters who do nothing but low reps and heavy weight (mostly myofibril hypertrophy) do not gain the size that bodybuilders do with their addition of higher reps inducing sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Point being, do not ignore one form of hypertrophy when you should try to get the most out of both. Most of my training is geared toward myofibril hypertrophy because you are right, but I still add in some higher reps on given exercises and it makes a difference.


Low volume, shifting of load to the joint, eating to maintain a weight class (in some cases). Most of them are actually massive in the muscles they train though, ie, quads.

Im not disagreeing about doing backoff sets of higher reps being beneficial, it certainly is, but that too is mostly myofibril, not sarcoplasmic.
 
P

Painispleasure

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
51
Points
6
Post the splits and and how many total sets you did per body part whoever's done the 5x5. Greatly appreciated!
 
German_Joe

German_Joe

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
1,032
Points
38
I am very pleased with The 5x5 program. Im 7 weeks into it and started it mid cutting phase In my 12 weeks of cutting I lost 30 lbs while increasing my lifts slightly
 
P

Painispleasure

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
51
Points
6
Thanks philosopher that website breaks it down like no other.
 

Similar threads

AlphaLifter
Replies
1
Views
64
jenm_88
jenm_88
PumpChaser
Replies
0
Views
131
PumpChaser
PumpChaser
Top