• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Actors that annoy you

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rob Schneider
Gary Busey
Orlando "one look" Bloom
Vince Vaughn
Will Ferrel (with exceptions)
Tom "I'M SHOUTING" Cruise
Billy Crystal
Ben Stiller

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Alec Baldwin, he always comes off so freakin smug, it bothers me.

Rainn Wilson, you are not funny sir.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
keanureeves-1.jpg

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
definitely tom cruise and wife

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I can't believe I'm hearing Tom Cruise. Sorry but his performances are generally an exceptional element to the films he stars in, which is saying something because, for a Hollywood star, he usually picks great projects. He was transcendent in both Magnolia and Collateral especially.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can't believe I'm hearing Tom Cruise. Sorry but his performances are generally an exceptional element to the films he stars in, which is saying something because, for a Hollywood star, he usually picks great projects. He was transcendent in both Magnolia and Collateral especially.

Transcendent is like, so totally a homoerotic word. Are you gay Line ?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I agree Tom picks some great roles in great movies. But I don't ever think that he has carried a film with a great performance, whereas his co-stars often have. I find him annoying because his idea of impassioned dialoge is to shout and point his finger. That and his off-screen antics always have me grimacing before he steps on screen.

For me he is the guy that is just there in films. It is either the action or other actors that drive the movie (e.g. Dustin Hoffman - Rainman; Tom was there to shout and get angry at the drop of a hat without showing the emotional complexity of a character in that situation. Whereas Dustin stole the show).

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^
Tom Cruise can act I dont care what you say. In the last of the samurai He had me believe that he'd roll a pretty tight sushi.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

It's probably moreso the whole Katie/ scientology/ couch jumping thing.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Zigurd said:
Transcendent is like, so totally a homoerotic word. Are you gay Line ?
No, I just know how to write well.
I agree Tom picks some great roles in great movies. But I don't ever think that he has carried a film with a great performance, whereas his co-stars often have. I find him annoying because his idea of impassioned dialoge is to shout and point his finger. That and his off-screen antics always have me grimacing before he steps on screen.

For me he is the guy that is just there in films. It is either the action or other actors that drive the movie (e.g. Dustin Hoffman - Rainman; Tom was there to shout and get angry at the drop of a hat without showing the emotional complexity of a character in that situation. Whereas Dustin stole the show).
In both films I listed earlier he expresses a full gamut of emotion without raising his voice. Both films do feature him going beyond that and shouting, though this is indicative of his characters; already fairly exaggerated beings that are being pushed to the limits by outside stimulus. These incidents are more indicative of the directors' intentions - his character exists within the confines of their realities and his energy expands as that of their worlds do. It's appropriate. Also, Dustin Hoffman "stole the show" in Rain Man because he came up with a memorable way to portray an under scripted disorder. Tom actually had to emote to counterbalance Hoffman's lack of it. Ask 80% of film buffs (not critics) and they'll agree Cruise was better there. His performance called for a touch of reality. He had to be somewhat identifiable in terms of standard emotional arc. Hoffman, not so much. Does Cruise yell though? Of course, and his self-awareness of this was carried over to his recent performance in Tropic Thunder where that's all his character did. He still is capable of giving an emotionally realized performance without yelling though and he's done it before.
It's probably moreso the whole Katie/ scientology/ couch jumping thing.
Pretty much. I don't like the guy's decisions outside of picking movies but I hardly let it bother me.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No, I just know how to write well.
Strange that you'd be questioned for good language use as opposed to having a shot at those who have poor usage.
In both films I listed earlier he expresses a full gamut of emotion without raising his voice. Both films do feature him going beyond that and shouting, though this is indicative of his characters; already fairly exaggerated beings that are being pushed to the limits by outside stimulus. These incidents are more indicative of the directors' intentions - his character exists within the confines of their realities and his energy expands as that of their worlds do. It's appropriate. Also, Dustin Hoffman "stole the show" in Rain Man because he came up with a memorable way to portray an under scripted disorder. Tom actually had to emote to counterbalance Hoffman's lack of it. Ask 80% of film buffs (not critics) and they'll agree Cruise was better there. His performance called for a touch of reality. He had to be somewhat identifiable in terms of standard emotional arc. Hoffman, not so much. Does Cruise yell though? Of course, and his self-awareness of this was carried over to his recent performance in Tropic Thunder where that's all his character did. He still is capable of giving an emotionally realized performance without yelling though and he's done it before.
I think his acting can be described as highly adequate. :bitelip: But I've never really enjoyed a film because of him or his performance. More like the film as a whole was worthwhile. Now this could be the sign of a great actor who doesn't overdo things and sells the movie rather than themselves. But Cruise has become a gigantic star (ironically) which seems odd. I know there are others that fit this category (Will Smith springs to mind) of not giving great performances but selling the movie, but Cruise is celebrated and marketed as though we should admire his work. I prefer to admire excellent work, enjoy good work (his level) and ignore average or mediocre work (anything starring Martin Lawrence or Steven Segal). This dichotomy raises my ire and results in my finding of Tom Cruise to be annoying.

That said I still watch his films. Although have to say I didn't enjoy Collateral that much (it was ok, Michael Mann films always seem to use that sparse European style that lacks drive), Magnolia didn't do much for me and Eyes Wide Shut was just plain crap.

Pretty much. I don't like the guy's decisions outside of picking movies but I hardly let it bother me.
His chair jumping is such a minor part of my "Tom Cruise Annoyance". His Scientology beliefs grate on me more than that. But like you I try to ignore the entire celebrity rumour mill gossip when it comes to enjoying a film.:thumbsup2:

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tom Cruise isn't all that bad. I really liked his performances in the last samurai and collateral. I wouldn't call those performances Transcendent, but they were great.

However having seen those scientology promo videos and his creepy laugh, i can't get that out of me head when i see him laugh on screen.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I find Tom Cruise annoying because I think he's a knob-jockey. I do admit he has played some great roles, but other times I have groaned at the mere mention of his name in a film.

I have yet to see Collateral though.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Strange that you'd be questioned for good language use as opposed to having a shot at those who have poor usage.

I think his acting can be described as highly adequate. :bitelip: But I've never really enjoyed a film because of him or his performance. More like the film as a whole was worthwhile. Now this could be the sign of a great actor who doesn't overdo things and sells the movie rather than themselves. But Cruise has become a gigantic star (ironically) which seems odd. I know there are others that fit this category (Will Smith springs to mind) of not giving great performances but selling the movie, but Cruise is celebrated and marketed as though we should admire his work. I prefer to admire excellent work, enjoy good work (his level) and ignore average or mediocre work (anything starring Martin Lawrence or Steven Segal). This dichotomy raises my ire and results in my finding of Tom Cruise to be annoying.

That said I still watch his films. Although have to say I didn't enjoy Collateral that much (it was ok, Michael Mann films always seem to use that sparse European style that lacks drive), Magnolia didn't do much for me and Eyes Wide Shut was just plain crap.

His chair jumping is such a minor part of my "Tom Cruise Annoyance". His Scientology beliefs grate on me more than that. But like you I try to ignore the entire celebrity rumour mill gossip when it comes to enjoying a film.:thumbsup2:

You can hand in that man card.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Strange indeed.
tim290280 said:
I half agree with the above in its regard to Cruise. Becoming a star of his caliber really has little to do with ability but competence. Will Smith is hardly what I'd consider a strong actor despite giving a few passable performances but I never look forward to either him or his films. Cruise is the opposite. While his expressionism has become familiar territory by now due to his longevity, his delivery and how me channels the weight of a scene is exemplary. He doesn't always give great performances but this is largely due to the directors he's working with. I think it's in ignoring this distinction that one would begin seeing faults in his performances. His three best roles, for my money came in Collateral, Eyes Wide Shut, and Magnolia where he worked with Michael Mann, Stanley Kubrick, and PT Anderson, respectively. Here he's given the chance to let the character consume him and his performances are all astounding and, more importantly, they're all completely different. Another finalist would be his portrayal of Ron Kovic in Born on the Fourth of July, which does call for shouting but in a different way. There it was more of pain and loss. The desperation of Kovic was incredibly managed by Cruise.
tim290280 said:
That said I still watch his films. Although have to say I didn't enjoy Collateral that much (it was ok, Michael Mann films always seem to use that sparse European style that lacks drive)
I have no idea what you mean by this.
tim290280 said:
Magnolia didn't do much for me and Eyes Wide Shut was just plain crap.
I disagree completely on Eyes Wide Shut, a film that has grown on me tremendously since my first viewing of it. It doesn't compare in terms of measuring social disconnect with the work of Antonioni but it remains a well crafted, thoughtful expose on alienation, specifically in something as culturally layered as New York City.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Alec Baldwin, he always comes off so freakin smug, it bothers me.
Alec Baldwin = LMFAO

Last edited by a moderator: