• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Alternative to Dips

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

I do work-out in my Home Gym with Bench, BBs and DBs. Any Alternative for Dips?
Ok, saw this video in youtube of a chest triset exercise of Bench press superset with DB flys and Dips. What do you think guys?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do work-out in my Home Gym with Bench, BBs and DBs. Any Alternative for Dips?
Ok, saw this video in youtube of a chest triset exercise of Bench press superset with DB flys and Dips. What do you think guys?

You could get two chairs and place them at shoulder width and perform dips. Dips aren't essential so you could try other accessory exercises instead of them.

Bhana

Bhana

Just make sure the chairs dont tip over! put some weight on it if your gonna do em.

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

You could get two chairs and place them at shoulder width and perform dips. Dips aren't essential so you could try other accessory exercises instead of them.

Can you please suggest any exercise to conclude the triset? Besides the chair, Dips are very hard to do too. Push-ups?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yep, they're dangerous also. Although some may not agree with me on some of these, here's some alternate exercises:

1. Flys (incline, flat, etc.)
  2. Pullovers (barbell or dumbbell)
  3. Weighted push-ups (wide, triangle, legs elevated)
  4. DB hammer, close grip press (incline or flat)

This should do some good. Pullovers are probably the least effective listed, just giving ya variety. My chest days never consist of dips, they're usually on tricep days- this shows it's not a staple and you don't need to worry :)

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

Yep, they're dangerous also. Although some may not agree with me on some of these, here's some alternate exercises:

1. Flys (incline, flat, etc.)
  2. Pullovers (barbell or dumbbell)
  3. Weighted push-ups (wide, triangle, legs elevated)
  4. DB hammer, close grip press (incline or flat)

This should do some good. Pullovers are probably the least effective listed, just giving ya variety. My chest days never consist of dips, they're usually on tricep days- this shows it's not a staple and you don't need to worry :)

Thank you

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm going to disagree with KM here. Personally I rate dips a great deal, I love doing heavy weighted sets and bodyweight sets. In my opinion they are a far superior exercise to flyes and pullovers since they're a) a multi-joint compound exercise, and b) they're one of those great exercises you can do anywhere.

I'd love to know why KM thinks they are dangerous? Every exercise can be dangerous if done incorrectly. Dips are perfectly safe if you do them with proper form.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love dips but the bars need to be stable, and you have to be mindfull of depth.
I don't see much value in flys, especially DB's, due to the muscle recruitment patterns.
BB and DB bench variations, like one armed, close grip, neutral grip, reverse grip.
Pushups are great and there are many variations, although most research shows that the different hand positions have little effect. With pushups you can also add weight to your back but you have to get your body position flat which means you need good mid section strength.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm going to disagree with KM here. Personally I rate dips a great deal, I love doing heavy weighted sets and bodyweight sets. In my opinion they are a far superior exercise to flyes and pullovers since they're a) a multi-joint compound exercise, and b) they're one of those great exercises you can do anywhere.

I'd love to know why KM thinks they are dangerous? Every exercise can be dangerous if done incorrectly. Dips are perfectly safe if you do them with proper form.

KM said dips on chairs were dangerous, not the exercise itself.

I'm not saying I dislike dips, so re-read my post please. I love dips, I was giving alternate exercises instead of dips. I'm not rating any one of them better in the least bit.

Did you read the thread title?

He can't do dips. I gave alternate examples of exercises in replacement, not in terms of superiority.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why no love for DB pull overs?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
close grip bench? simple stuff dont you think?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
youngmusclejock said:
Why no love for DB pull overs?
I've only done them a couple of times and haven't read any decent material on them. Both these things have failed to convince me of their value as an exercise. Put another way, I think flys have more value.

But this is just an opinion as I haven't researched these (unlike other exercises I comment on). I know old time lifters loved this exercise.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP

Its sounds like you're calling them dangerous in general here, you don't specifically mention chair dips.

You also refer to them as "not a staple" and say you never do them.

He could quite easily do bench dips...

Bhana

Bhana

I think parallel bar dips are staple in a chest routine, but imo bench dips dont hit the chest aswell as regular dips, more of a tricep excercise

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He could quite easily do bench dips...

The plane of motion and gravitational force is different than parallel dips, so it's not the same bro. The loads mostly placed on the lateral head of the triceps and the ant. delt of the shoulder...very little chest recruitment.

Secondly, read the response before my initial post. He stated that chair dips are hard to do, and asked for other alternatives, that being where I said they were dangerous.

Don't just read small pieces.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The plane of motion and gravitational force is different than parallel dips, so it's not the same bro. The loads mostly placed on the lateral head of the triceps and the ant. delt of the shoulder...very little chest recruitment.

Secondly, read the response before my initial post. He stated that chair dips are hard to do, and asked for other alternatives, that being where I said they were dangerous.

Don't just read small pieces.

I read it all again, it was quite easy make the assumption I did because you made no specific mention of chair dips. :dunnodude:

I'm not trying to get into an argument over semantics here though, just defending a good exercise.

And yes, I agree that bench dips are mainly for tris. I wasn't sure weather he was talking about a specific muscle group til I re-read and saw the chest tri-set comment.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm not a fan of bench dips. All the worst parts of a normal dip without the best parts. Terrible on shoulders.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You could always turn a normal dip right around and do db presses keeping the elbows in. I used to be a fan of this exercise and this way you dont have to start out as heavy as body weight.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't suppose you have equipment for low cable crossovers?