• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Bicep Tear - OUCH!

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
I always did my heavy deads with a hook grip. But I sure dont wanna get a bicep tear
 
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
8,184
Points
63
Overhand and Straps here...
 
Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
5,885
Points
38
all the more reason to train your grip separately.
 
Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
1,389
Points
38
now im scared of deadlifts, b/c I thought alternate was the safest ! I've torn by bi a little bit before, but nothing that crazy..the insertion just goes up a litle.
 
jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
2,903
Points
38
damn that scares me doing deads too now.
thats got to fucking hurt like hell.
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
damn that scares me doing deads too now.
thats got to fucking hurt like hell.

I don't think it's that bad, actually. Though the sight, and the sound, is horrifying.


Just do deads with an over-over grip, always.
 
jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
2,903
Points
38
I don't think it's that bad, actually. Though the sight, and the sound, is horrifying.


Just do deads with an over-over grip, always.

i really dont like the over-over grip so i guess i will risk it and use the alternate grip like i always do. over-over grip just doesnt feel right to me.
 
Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,295
Points
38
I'm going to save this pic and post it every time someone does hook grip on deadlifts while doing a workout. The bicep isn't meant to handle that much load, and you're only asking for injury.
Amen brother.

I have a good friend (37 years old) who also tore his bicep performing deadlifts with a hook grip. Now, his right bicep looks terrible! I'll try to get a picture of it posted up here.

I will never use that grip again.
 
Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,295
Points
38
i really dont like the over-over grip so i guess i will risk it and use the alternate grip like i always do. over-over grip just doesnt feel right to me.
If it's worth the risk to you then go for it.

However, if you go over-over for one month, you'll get used to it.
 
Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
1,389
Points
38
I'll have to try that flex..the strength decrease isn't very tempting though lol
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
4,013
Points
38
Yes. Pretty sure that "yates rows" were how dorian tore his bicep.

I also think so, and he obviously stopped doing them that way although he preferred his style.

What about underhand lat pulldowns?
 
B

big_duuude

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2006
Messages
90
Points
6
That last one you could actually see when the tendon/muscle snap.:ughnoes:

Yes, that one convinced me.
It usually occurs when the athlete bends the underhand arm (unintentionally) ever so slightly at either the start of the pull or on putting the final rep down.
But that last one, the arm looks to be straight.
So I'm going double-overhand today.

WSM - these guys are still using alternate grip
Oli Thompson - his biceps look normal at this years WSM, will look more closely.

Your SHOCK-TACTIC worked IRONSLAVE
:xyxthumbs:
 
Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
3,129
Points
48
As a former powerlifter i'd have to disagree I've seen men dead 800 lbs. using the alt. grip style. It is actually very safe however like all excersises it has form to it.

Many people in a attempt to get the weight up with unknowingly curl it an inch or two up using their bicep. You have to train to completely relax your biceps during the deadlifting period.

In fact during early training in powerlifting and powersports deadlifting take about a month to teach properly and years to master. But alt. grip is an safe as hang clings or clean and jerks but they can be dangerous if you don't know wtf you are doing.
 
Milligan41088

Milligan41088

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
161
Points
16
that looks so painful
 
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
15,119
Points
73
I do them , overhand, underhand, and alt, 1 set of each or for last one 2 sets
not just the same for each set, each hand position is different.
 
pudd

pudd

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
90
Points
6
that shits gotta hurt like hell, i'm ganna change my grip on deads and barbell rows now
 
MrThinker

MrThinker

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
167
Points
16
Damn .... now I'm scared to deadlift heavy :hide:
 

Similar threads

AlphaLifter
Replies
2
Views
197
BrofessorLift
BrofessorLift
SweatLovin
Replies
4
Views
177
crunchtime247
crunchtime247
Chris Bumstead Feed
Replies
0
Views
100
Chris Bumstead Feed
Chris Bumstead Feed
Top