• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Body building vs calisthenics

Vickeree

Vickeree

What do you think about those videos in YouTube pitting a bodybuilder against a calisthenic guy? Who is the better athlete?

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What do you think about those videos in YouTube pitting a bodybuilder against a calisthenic guy? Who is the better athlete?
What is your definition of better? In terms of business overall health I would give it to the calisthenics guy.

C

coolyfrost

I think that both calisthenics and body building are legitimate ways to gain muscle. Calisthenics will only get you so far without the added weight however, whilst with body building you can build your body to much higher levels than your body can supposedly use by just training with your body mass. I think just the fact that someone is training with weights is good enough.

Lewriter

Lewriter

Well dear Vickeree, I'll say it would be the bodybuilder, but -obviously- I have a big bias because this is what I practice. Maybe if I were to practice calisthenics with a passion for some years my perception could change.

Right now I can tell you that this is one of the most complete sports in my opinion. While there are real disasters in terms of disproportion with practitioners of some sports because of their inherent repetitive use of the arms, back and generally the upper body (or conversely, the lower body is disproportionately used instead), in bodybuilding all the muscles get to be used in the natural course of your training, something which on itself is already very advantageous from my point of view.

The results from moderate bodybuilding being a more harmonious body than in a plethora of other more-specialized sports.

Fortachon

Fortachon

Well, I really felt attracted to this thread so here's my opinion.

I used to be a skinny guy one year and a half ago, I was really depressed because I somehow wanted to get buffed, but I did not really want to go to a GYM, I basically was afraid of doing so, however, one day I just decided to go to a local GYM that is close to my residence, the point is that I paid the subscription and everything was fine, eventually, I spent six months working out really hard and I basically looked the same as before I started the GYM, it definitely did not help me at all, some months later a friend of mine invited me to a park where some guys attended to for practicing calisthenics and stuff, I was kinda interested because the sport is absolutely attracting, so I started working out with the bars, then after four months my whole body had completely changed, I was somebody different, I will not say that I became super muscular, but it was a really big change for me, there's where I realized that Calisthenics is way better than the GYM, it might depend on the person, but I think it was better for me.

Hades_leae

Hades_leae

I have seen so many of those competitions. I can't say that I think they are relevant at all, but just for entertainment. Every time I watch one, it's always the body builder who does better.

There was this one calisthenics guy who had the biggest ego, well all of those guys for that matter, and the body builder always won at every weigh lifting challenge because they use weights, and not just their bodies. There was one man who was all about the upper body, and he was able to do lots of muscle ups, and swore he could be the body builder who was able to dead lift more than 600 pounds, do pull ups with 3 - 45 pounds plates, bench more than 500 pounds, and much more.

They were trying to see who had the most stamina while repping certain weights or doing things like who can hold 400 pounds the longest "strongest grip", it was always the body builder. Entertaining though.

Fortachon

Fortachon

Calisthenics could not be compared to bodybuilding, we do not use any kind of weight when training, not either special equipment, we only use gloves to prevent the damage in our hands, other than that, it's a full body work, therefore, the bodybuilders are partially stronger when it comes to weight lifting, but most of them can't lift their own weight.

C

Clair02

I have to give it to the calisthenics guy, too. I think it all depends on your main goals in the end, and that will determine whether calisthenics or body building is best for you. They both have their advantages and it all comes down to a matter of personal preference in my opinion.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally, I think that bodybuilders are more hardworking than calisthenics guys. They put in more effort and build their body to their taste. I'm not saying that calisthenics aren't hardworking as well but my pick goes to bodybuilders.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I guess bodybuilding and calisthenics are poles apart when it comes to the quality of results. From what I understand with calisthenics, it is the form of exercise to give energy but not to build muscles while the opposite is true with bodybuilding. Comparing which is better would need some parameters for the evaluation like maybe the bulk, stamina, energy, and other elements that pertain to the workout. To be honest, I had dreamed to have big muscles but my body is designed for calisthenics only.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff