• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Breathing difficulty during a workout

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 17, 2016
Messages
3,248
Points
48
Do you think it is a sign of a serious health problem when the workout you are regularly doing suddenly gives you a hard time in breathing? I was doing 35 push ups every morning or every other day depending on my body's condition and daily schedule. But there was a time that I had reached 25 push ups and I felt like running out of breath. That scared me so I stood up and took a rest. For several days, I did not do my morning exercise and I observed myself. Feeling that I am normal, I went back to my push up, 20 at first and increased by 5 on the next days until I reached 35. And then I increased it to 40. Just fine. But after a month of doing 40, there was again that difficulty in breathing. I was advised to have an ECG or EKG for the heart but until now I'm still hesitant.
 
NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2018
Messages
397
Points
18
Better be safe than sorry, if the one who advised you to take an EKG was your doctor niece, I guess you should adhere to it. But on a positive note, I think you do not have anything to worry about. When I do push-ups, my heart was already racing when I get to 10, so I am pretty sure it's normal.
 
to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Nov 1, 2016
Messages
515
Points
18
Yeah, everything needs to be done gradually, and if we feel something is wrong, we should certainly check with a doctor!
 
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Messages
630
Points
18
Do you think it is a sign of a serious health problem when the workout you are regularly doing suddenly gives you a hard time in breathing? I was doing 35 push ups every morning or every other day depending on my body's condition and daily schedule. But there was a time that I had reached 25 push ups and I felt like running out of breath. That scared me so I stood up and took a rest. For several days, I did not do my morning exercise and I observed myself. Feeling that I am normal, I went back to my push up, 20 at first and increased by 5 on the next days until I reached 35. And then I increased it to 40. Just fine. But after a month of doing 40, there was again that difficulty in breathing. I was advised to have an ECG or EKG for the heart but until now I'm still hesitant.

It's very important to observe your body with how it reacts to serious workouts drills, and having difficulty breathing is one of the side effects of how exercises takes its toll on people, sometimes your abdominal muscles might hook you and giving you lots of discomfort, so it's very important to watch out for yourself and stop the moment when such signs or symptoms manifest. Take the medical professional advice that is recommended to you and give yourself a good rest and time away from workouts.
 
to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Nov 1, 2016
Messages
515
Points
18
The body is wise, and we need to respect it's resting periods. Just these last weeks I've been pushing it too hard, and guess what, I've been exhausted! Sometimes a break is necessary.
 
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 17, 2016
Messages
3,248
Points
48
Better be safe than sorry, if the one who advised you to take an EKG was your doctor niece, I guess you should adhere to it. But on a positive note, I think you do not have anything to worry about. When I do push-ups, my heart was already racing when I get to 10, so I am pretty sure it's normal.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't feel anything other than the breathing difficulty when I do the push up but not always. It's actually occasional and has no indication that it will happen. I am thinking that my body may not be up to it all the time so I get very tired upon reaching 20 push ups or so. Maybe I have to consult a specialist when the symptom becomes frequent for comfort.
 
NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2018
Messages
397
Points
18
Yes, I think it would be best to consult a doctor if you think it's way out of the ordinary. Maybe, it may also have something to do with your age, no offense my friend.
 
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Messages
630
Points
18
Better be safe than sorry, if the one who advised you to take an EKG was your doctor niece, I guess you should adhere to it. But on a positive note, I think you do not have anything to worry about. When I do push-ups, my heart was already racing when I get to 10, so I am pretty sure it's normal.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't feel anything other than the breathing difficulty when I do the push up but not always. It's actually occasional and has no indication that it will happen. I am thinking that my body may not be up to it all the time so I get very tired upon reaching 20 push ups or so. Maybe I have to consult a specialist when the symptom becomes frequent for comfort.

Your age is another factor that should be taken into consideration for being the reason why you are experiencing the difficulty in breathing when you are trying to increase the number of drills you would complete. Maybe you are putting too much stress on your heart with the activities and it's choking your breath but it would be better to go see your doctor in my opinion.
 
Top