• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Glutamine and bulking.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Many people say that L-Glutamine has no place in bulking, but I beg to differ. It has many benefits, in this article I will name them. L-Glutamine, also just called, glutamine, is the most abundant free form amino acid in your body. L-Glutamine levels can become depleted with hard training, thus there is need for additional supplementation. Glutamine can be made by our bodies with other amino acids, but under times of stress (e.g. weight training) our body can have up to 50% of the glutamine stores empty. This will cause you to be in a catabolic state, this is why supplementing with L-Glutamine can be beneficial.

For starters glutamine helps your body recover from intense workouts, I know from experience that it shaves off days of soreness after workouts. And glutimane also is very anti-catabolic; another use is taking your glutamine with a casein protein shake before bed, this will make sure you don't slip into a catabolic state since you wont be eating in your 8-10 hours of sleep. Another effect glutamine has on muscle building is it also has a cell-volumization effect, this brings water into your muscles, and the more water you have in your muscles, the higher your protein synthesis is, the faster you can build muscle. Glutamine is also used extensively by your immune system, thus if you have depleted levels of glutamine, you are more susceptible to diseases, leaving you unable to train. Another big part of glutamine is that is can raise your HGH levels up by as much as 400% with as little as 2 grams! There are many effects of HGH that contribute positively toward muscle building, not to mention that HGH is also anti-catabolic and will prevent muscle breakdown while you sleep.

By now you're probably saying “I want to use glutamine during bulking and gain more muscle, but what are the doses and when should I take them? Good question, in bulking you should take 5-10 grams of glutamine a day, mostly post-workout and before bed. But do not take glutamine within 20 minutes of taking creatine, as they will interfere with each other's absorption in the small intestine.

Sources

And with my own knowledge & experience

Last edited by a moderator:
COACH

COACH

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
agree 100%:xyxthumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

perfectzero

I actually like glutamine. I believe it has focus benefits due to it's ability to cross the blood brain barrier and convert to Glutamic acid (which your brain uses to function), and I too feel that it promotes healthier immune systems since it is mostly absorbed by the stomach.

However, all the actual testing on healthy subjects showed (in double blind tests) that glutamine had no effect on muscle volumization, recovery or strength gains. All the postive tests have been on burn victims. I would post a link to studies, but honestly, if you google it, it will come up all over the place.

So, in the lab, glutamine fails, but I do feel better when I take it (especially preWO). Perhaps it is psycological, but I like a little extra glutamine.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Grazie patdiddy!

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wouldnt waste my money on it when I'm bulking. Only when dieting I think its needed.

MrThinker

MrThinker

Interesting post Fatality, I don't know that you shouldn't take Creatine & Glutamine at the same time I've been doing that for years along with my Protein Shake as a post workout drink.