• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Hatfield Squats

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,295
Points
38
Anybody have a bar like this at their gym? I think it's called a safety bar.

I've seen Branch Warren and Steve Kuclo do these in the past and I'd be interested in doing them.

Hatfield squats are named after Dr. Squat.



 
R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,330
Points
36
Never heard of it before, but looks awesome
 
Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,262
Points
38
I've heard of these. Rusty Jeffers does them as well. Apparently it's very safe to use and it's very comfortable too. I don't have one at my gym though.
 
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
10,145
Points
63
i would love to do those, hurts my shoulders a bit to hold the bar for squats
 
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
21,162
Points
113
I'd try it for sure if my gym would've had it..
 
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
2,565
Points
38
Yea my gym has one, i go to an old powerlifting gym. Flex, my advice, stick with regular squats unless your injured in some way and cant do them.
 
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
10,145
Points
63
^^ elaborate pls
 
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
2,565
Points
38
You take a lot of the stress of balancing the weight off your legs by placing your hands out in front of you. It makes the lift significantly easier IMO. Like i said if you have an injury of some sort and are just getting back into lifting these are a good idea. Like branch said a good idea if you want to finish off with them.
 
Cork

Cork

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
470
Points
18
"drop below parallel."... Not a single one of his reps broke the bottom. But yes that's a safety bar.



 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
Anybody have a bar like this at their gym? I think it's called a safety bar.

I've seen Branch Warren and Steve Kuclo do these in the past and I'd be interested in doing them.

Hatfield squats are named after Dr. Squat.

I think most people call them safety bar squats. The only reason I can think of that they would have been called Hatfield squats is he may have some up with the idea for the bar itself.

Below parallel
ejg3yx-1.gif
Those reps he demonstrated battled to hit parallel, so parallel to what exactly??
 
nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
2,603
Points
38
We have a bar like that in our gym, so I've done those. They are cool. We also have this other bar, which I think is called cambered bar, that's kinda cool also. If you guys ever get a chance to try, you should.
 
curtisymoo

curtisymoo

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
481
Points
16
i think there's a guy in my gym who has a metal frame with hooks that cling to the bar.

i cant explain it because i've never seen anything like it before.

everything is the same except the guy at my gym holds the two bars sticking out in front
 
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
6,008
Points
48
they look cool. that dave tate video was kinda meh, i dont like seeing people sitting down, it takes away all the weight as soon as u touch it stool/bench
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
they look cool. that dave tate video was kinda meh, i dont like seeing people sitting down, it takes away all the weight as soon as u touch it stool/bench

You have so little idea of what you are talking about. Please go and read about box squatting.
 
Milligan41088

Milligan41088

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
161
Points
16
i would like to try them sometime but my gym doesnt have one
 
Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,295
Points
38
You have so little idea of what you are talking about. Please go and read about box squatting.
Tim, do you think my gym would be willing to get one of these bars if I requested it...

:bitelip:
 
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
6,008
Points
48
You have so little idea of what you are talking about. Please go and read about box squatting.

I guess its to build explossive strength... i still dont care for it. I guess im not into powerlifting unless a bodybuilder does it
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
The bar is called a safety squat bar, but is also known as a "yoke bar" or a "spider bar" I believe. It is used for a few reasons:
1. Shoulder injury.
2. Relieving stress upon the shoulder joint when doing either heavy high volume squats or lots of sets of near max squats.
3. To offer a different load placement.

I personally would kill for one of these bars as my shoulder cops a lot of aggravation from squats due to most of my working sets being 90%+.

I guess its to build explossive strength... i still dont care for it. I guess im not into powerlifting unless a bodybuilder does it

And you still have no fucking idea what you're talking about...

Want ham and glute development + squatting and deadlifting strength? Box squat bitch!
 
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
6,008
Points
48
The bar is called a safety squat bar, but is also known as a "yoke bar" or a "spider bar" I believe. It is used for a few reasons:
1. Shoulder injury.
2. Relieving stress upon the shoulder joint when doing either heavy high volume squats or lots of sets of near max squats.
3. To offer a different load placement.

I personally would kill for one of these bars as my shoulder cops a lot of aggravation from squats due to most of my working sets being 90%+.



And you still have no fucking idea what you're talking about...

Want ham and glute development + squatting and deadlifting strength? Box squat bitch!

Ok, im a bitch because i dont do box squats :doh: Im not naturally strong but i dont complain about squatting or deadlifting and they are relativelty decent lifts for my strength level.
 

Similar threads

tkD
Replies
2
Views
4K
The King Of Lurkers
The King Of Lurkers
CoachCelestine
Replies
3
Views
108
crunchtime247
crunchtime247
Chris Bumstead Feed
Replies
0
Views
92
Chris Bumstead Feed
Chris Bumstead Feed
Top