• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How did you get into BodyBuilding??

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Or w.e weightlifting sport your into.

I got into Bodybuilding mainly cause of my brother, he was always taking protein and shit and was always going to the gym. what really sparked it for me was, when i was like 13 or 14 i was riding bike by a gym called Xtreme, thats where all the top bodybuilders trained at, and i would stand at the window and see these huge guys and girls. i always wanted to be big at that age i was barely 100 pounds.

so i decided to join the gym that was 3 blocks away(the one ive been training at all this time and also worked at) and i talked to the owner and he showed me everything. i told him i was tired of being the skinny kid in school and always getting picked on by the older guys.

Post the story how you got into the gym.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My dad was a bodybuilder in his time and i always went to watch him compete ever since i was 6 or 7 yrs old, or even younger.
but it was only till i was around 16, i wanted to get into bodybuilding

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First it started with my dad and having Muscle and Fitness mags in his bathroom. I also trained with my Uncle's partner who was strong and into training. Then wrestling most of my life got me into sports, dieting and pushing myself. When I lost my partial scholarship to OSU for wrestling when I blew my knee out the only thing that gave me that same sense of satisfaction and work ethic was weight lifting. I got bigger pretty fast and was hooked, and that is what got me into it for these past 8 years.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Id always been intrigued by muscles and how they workded, as well as big guys and how they trained. I think the interest in bodybuilding just grew from there until i decided to do something about it for myself.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was acosted by ninjas and hurt my hand, so I decided I needed to bulk up.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was playing Pee-Wee football at the time, and after the season was done (and at this time I was pretty in shape, decently cut down) my coach told me I had a good physique and build for Pro-Ball if I worked out a bit. I didn't really know anything about it at the time, so I went to Shopper's Drug Mart (Canadian drug store) and saw a picture of Ronnie Coleman on the front. I was like "Holy fuck, look how huge that guy is!" and I looked inside and it had workout tips and weight training info. So I bought it, read through it and decided I wanted to be like that.

After I broke my ankle really bad, I couldn't play football for some months and wanted to stay in shape. My grandpa's neighbour was a canadian olympic shot-put thrower, and since I knew he was big, I asked him if he would help me. I got a weight set for Christmas that year and started working out with him. He got me really big and strong fast, but he moved away since then, and after he moved about 8 months into my training with him, I didn't really know what to do anymore since I wasn't growing as much as I was with him there.

So I figured I'd get another Flex magazine, and this time Dave Henry was on the cover and they were doing a story about DoggCrapp Traning. I read through it and loved it. So I asked for a 1 year gym membership to Goodlife Fitness (which at the time wasn't as damn expensive as it is now) and started working out and using DoggCrapp training methods. It made me get progressively stronger, bigger, and I was looking better.

But after a while, I just stopped working out hard, got lazy and didn't so much until Grade 9 after Football was done. But by that time I was too out of shape to really be a bodybuilder anymore. So I got the Arnold Classic Edition of Flex and they had another story on the strongman and powerlifting. I looked more like those guys at that point than like Ronnie or Jay, so it seemed to be the anwser. I was already pretty strong at that point, so I decided that I wanted to compete in powerlifting. A local gym (Windsor Squash and Fitness) had a Show Of Strength Competition under 19 division. So I signed up, competed and came in 3rd. I was only 15 at the time and was competing against 18 and 19 year olds. Ever since then I've been just playing sports and working out, except for this summer. I got lazy :keke:

That's it. Sorry it's kind of long winded, but I'm pretty baked right now.

R

radguym

For me at first i was a classic case. I saw the people everywhere with the nice bodies and the six pack abs. before i really knew anything i changed my diet as most people do and started there. Then after skool in the evenings i would ride my bike around the neighborhood to shave off some fat that did not need to be there. ( I WAS NEVER A FAT KID). i did that a couple of months. Then right when i finished high school i went to my friends house how for a couple of weeks. It was there that i went to the YMCA with him. I started working out then i got hooked. Then about a year later the same friend showed me who Ronnie Coleman was an that was when i really got into weight lifting and trying to get Bigger.

FROM WHAT I HAVE READ RONNIE COLEMAN SEEMS TO BE THE INSPIRATION OF MOST OF THE STORIES

KurtyJ99

KurtyJ99

Brother was always on the computer, parent watching tv so I had nothing to do. Started messing around in the gym. We got ingaged a year later and me and Mrs.bodybuilding have been going at it ever sense....santaroll

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was acosted by ninjas and hurt my hand, so I decided I needed to bulk up.
m272.jpg

I played soccer for 12 years, raced BMX, Motocross. I had a friend when I was 13; Travis, he was the biggest kid in Junior High, his mom worked at a gym by school. So as we became better friends we hung out more and started lifting together after school. That's how it started for me.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cool topic - fun reading how people got into lifting.

When I was just a small kid I was really really fascinated by my uncle who was/is i bodybuilder (Viggo Snowhill - I posted some pics with him on the board) - my grandmom had pictures of him from his shows in a room and I would always go in there and look at them just in awe over the sheer size those guys had. He lived in the US at this time so I would only see him IRL very rarely at some familygatherings - but when I did I always wanted him to lift me around and stuff - even though I was only a small kid I still remember this like it was yesterday. I like to think I already got my interest in lifting/bodybuilding at his time through my uncle... funny thing is I ended up visiting him in the US last year and worked out with him for a week... around 14-15 years later :xmaswiggle:

I had my first real encounter with a gym when I was about 14-15 years old. My mom was at this time overweight (she lost 55 pounds since then) and went to the gym and she would bring me every once in a while. I just fooled around and knew nothing about bodybuilding - but was quite fascinated by the big guys throwing weights around. You had to be 16 to join the gym so when i turned I signed up and started lifting - mainly because I was a skinny kid and wanted some size (I never got picked on though so that wasn't the reason). At first I knew nothing about training and just did random stuff I got nothing out of...some of the gymrats gave me advice, but i still really wasn't growing since I knew nothing about diet and the routines they gave me was absolute shit - so I started searching teh internet and gained a lot of knowledge and first then I started to get some results. I've been lifting since and just grew more and more found of it!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I first started hitting the weights when I was 15 because I was sick of being small and so easy to pick on. I got into bodybuilding when I was 23-24 after some encouragement from on of the other PT's I worked with thought I had some potential to compete. I never competed in the end but learnt a lot and got bigger and stronger than ever. I'm now focussing on powerlifting with hopes of competing sometime next year. I just lifting heavy stuff I suppose.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
was fat, geeky, and was made fun of alot
and wanted to change, i got into BB'ing or weight lifting in general around 2003.
everyone else in my family is lazy as hell.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
since I remember, I always wanted to look like superman or hercules, those heroes fascinated me. that was the beggining of it, being big and having a 5* body began to be a serious goal, has I join my first gym at 15, but in that time I was just messing around with no clue what to do!

NOW I WANT TO BE REALLY BIG !! biggrinsanta BIGGER THAN SUPERMAN

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow I remember it like it was yesterday cause I was 14 and I had freshman jitters it was summer before the semester damn I was scared shitless of seniors lol high school rumors and all that jazz.

Anywho 2 months prior the high school weight lifting coach came to the middle school to tell the boys about the weight room and all that stuff. So I knew I was supposed to go if I wanted to join the football team.

So he ended up coming to my house and was talking to my om and I was semi forced to go with him to the weight room by my mom. and the first day I ended up finding our that all the seniors were.... small save like 2. At least compared to the 6 ft 14 yr old being me. Then he wanted to test the freshmen's strength and I was nervous cause all eyes are on the freshmen and I never touched a weight in my life. and got 185 lbs. in the bench and 275 and the deadlift.

Then that sick fuck of a coach flipped the script and taught us the squatting form it took 3 hours to properly teach it to all of us. Then made us do sets for reps. I never felt pain or DOMS like that in my entire life. After that moment I fell in complete love with the weight room. If I was no where to be found I could be found in my high school weight room. Mon - Sat. 6am -7pm. except during classes other than that I was there.

...good times. santafrown

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was one of the ninjas that attacked Tim.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I started lifting weights at 19-20 y/o because i was suffering insomnia. I asociated that problem with my sedentary lifestyle (being a Computer Science student i spent most of my time seated in front of some sort of computer or book) so weight lifting was just a way to get tired in a daily basis and sleep better*. Getting bigger/stronger was a side effect for me. One that i loved ;).
Soon i felt in love with iron and it became a hobby, and as such it has been one of the things i've thrown away when i've had a busy schedule, so i've been on and off gym since then.
I "discovered" competitive bodybuilding through Pain's videos on youtube and has been a fan since then.

* It worked wonders.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think i'm probably the only person who gets this joke.

not a fan of flex wheeler?
Tweak said:
I was one of the ninjas that attacked Tim.
biggrinsanta

Finally someone got the joke.

And yes I am a Flex Wheeler (pre synthol) fan.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
me and one of my buddies were a little out of shape. one day we were playing golf and he asked if i wanted to join Moore's(local gym) and start working out to get into shape. i said hell yea. so the next day i went and joined the gym and he never did. so i decided i would just workout by myself if he wasnt going to join with me. it was the first time in almost 3 years since i had worked out and from then on i just feel in love with weightlighting. i got into pretty good shape and he stayed fat. well he got skinny now but that was from all the drugs he started doing.:xmaskekegay:
that is how i got into weightlifting.

i got into bodybuilding when a buddy of mine showed me the ronnie coleman video on youtube of him benching the 200 lbs. dumbells. that got me hooked.