• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How would you change Bodybuilding?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
we need a personality like Arnold... a newer version, more modern. I reckon Phil heath is just that person... he would be great for it i reckon. Him and lee priest.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A lot of the problems it seems lie with the judging in that everyone is decrying Cutler winning, or Coleman having won a couple he shouldn't of the Mentzer '80 debacle.

How could this be changed. Any thoughts on where the judges should be selected from? Maybe a combination of different arenas or places the judges could be drafted from to ensure a less biased opinion.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Actually thats why alot of people go to watch IFBB events...the freak factor. If people wanted to pay to see more eye pleasing physiques then Natural bodybuilding would be bigger than it is....Truth :D

I think your overlooking a lot of factors here. The only money in bodybuilding is IFBB. Its been that way since the 60s. Money = Promotion. That makes IFBB the most mainstream(more mainstream then nautral federations). People still pay to see natural bodybuilding its just hasnt had the exposure of the guys that use drugs because the drug federations shot up first. (when people didn't even know about performance enhancing drugs they flocked to watch ifbb and so it became the number 1 outlet for bodybuilding spectators)

Its obvious not everyone wants to see freaks though because bodybuilding is so shunned by average society. To the majority of the public bodybuilders are big freaks that take drugs and have no personality. If They could rectify this image I think it would go a long way to fixing the sport.

Im not saying naturals FTW, (even tho I would more then happy argue for that) Im just saying bodybuilding is a sport that is purely about looks and presentation and when a guy hits a side chest and his stomach pertrudes out further then his chest or his biceps go bigger then his head on a front double bi , most people (who dont regularly lift weights) would say "how ugly why do they do this to their body?" and they wouldnt look into it any further.

to make bodybuilding better it just needs to appeal to bigger audiences, people that dont lift weights. near 300 pound guys will never do that even if they keep their bf levels down in offseason(jay cutler). We Just need mandates to encourage more aesthetic physiques bring back the sexy-ness in bodybuilding. Shaking the drug image would help but its mainly about bringing back the aesthetics. Phil heath,Dex jackson, kai greene FTW

and if that doesn't work Nattys FTW:eclipsee_gold_cup:

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A lot of the problems it seems lie with the judging in that everyone is decrying Cutler winning, or Coleman having won a couple he shouldn't of the Mentzer '80 debacle.

How could this be changed. Any thoughts on where the judges should be selected from? Maybe a combination of different arenas or places the judges could be drafted from to ensure a less biased opinion.

to be honest i think the whole judging system is corrupted

i would also limit the amount of sponsorships suppliment companies and other brand names have on bodybuilding shows, because they can blackmail the people who run things in the IFBB to decide who gets to win certain shows, and who gets to placed where they are placed. i swear this is how it opperates.
when an athlete wins a show, it provides promotional opportunity for brands like Muscletech to promote thier shitty new product thats 15 years in the making or whatever. and seeing as they are heavily sponsoring the shows, they can decide who gets what or they would withdraw thier sponsorship.
if the sponsorship was withdrawn, then the IFBB would loose money, and if it looses money it looses coverage, athletes, other shows and federations now arnt put up against such heavy odds and can be competition for the Weider brothers and others ect.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP

judging panels should be the same for every major show. Line, Myself and braq should judge every pro show. Judging problem fixed

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There is nothing eye pleasing about natural bb to me. Olympics would be aewome. I would take away all womens competition and then bb would be the number one sport

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
but

I think your overlooking a lot of factors here. The only money in bodybuilding is IFBB. Its been that way since the 60s. Money = Promotion. That makes IFBB the most mainstream(more mainstream then nautral federations). People still pay to see natural bodybuilding its just hasnt had the exposure of the guys that use drugs because the drug federations shot up first. (when people didn't even know about performance enhancing drugs they flocked to watch ifbb and so it became the number 1 outlet for bodybuilding spectators)

Its obvious not everyone wants to see freaks though because bodybuilding is so shunned by average society. To the majority of the public bodybuilders are big freaks that take drugs and have no personality. If They could rectify this image I think it would go a long way to fixing the sport.

Im not saying naturals FTW, (even tho I would more then happy argue for that) Im just saying bodybuilding is a sport that is purely about looks and presentation and when a guy hits a side chest and his stomach pertrudes out further then his chest or his biceps go bigger then his head on a front double bi , most people (who dont regularly lift weights) would say "how ugly why do they do this to their body?" and they wouldnt look into it any further.

to make bodybuilding better it just needs to appeal to bigger audiences, people that dont lift weights. near 300 pound guys will never do that even if they keep their bf levels down in offseason(jay cutler). We Just need mandates to encourage more aesthetic physiques bring back the sexy-ness in bodybuilding. Shaking the drug image would help but its mainly about bringing back the aesthetics. Phil heath,Dex jackson, kai greene FTW

I see you're pointabout natties, but phil heaths got some of the biggest guns in the history of the sport

?

I agree thats why Joe and Ben tried so hard to get the IFBB into the Olympics. An Ameatuer "Drug Free" (or at least to the level of every other athelete) show that represented all countries.

If Munzer had not died the popularity of the sport I believe would be a lot more. Bad timing I guess for the IFBB when you are trying to convince the IOC to recognise your sport.

If Bodybuilding could get into a recognised international event like the Olympics it would really help the sport become mainstream

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree thats why Joe and Ben tried so hard to get the IFBB into the Olympics. An Ameatuer "Drug Free" (or at least to the level of every other athelete) show that represented all countries.

If Munzer had not died the popularity of the sport I believe would be a lot more. Bad timing I guess for the IFBB when you are trying to convince the IOC to recognise your sport.

If Bodybuilding could get into a recognised international event like the Olympics it would really help the sport become mainstream

I agree - it wouldn't cost the promotors any money for televising and would reach a HUGE worldwide audience who may have been up till that point pretty much unaware of what it entails.

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

best post on the subject and i totally agree

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

crossfirebmf

An entirely new judging system and more pay for competitors (even ones who don't place) bc we all this shit is ridiculously expensive and time consuming

Member70353

Member70353

Banned
An entirely new judging system...

I agree. Most spectators cannot evaluate the comparisons during the compulsary posing. And many athletes feel treated unfairly by the judges. They don't know why they were called out to a comparison or why not. On the other hand, for several judges it seems to be too much to keep an eye on more than two, let alone, up to five contestants simultaneously. Therefore, I plead for a second round in which all athletes are compared, man with man, only two men competing with each other at a time. The referees need only to decide, which of the two athletes is better. Pose for pose is assessed individually. After 7 (or more) compulsary poses, there is a clear winner in every duel; and due to the number of duels won, the places are awarded.